Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 05-30-2022, 08:30 AM   #1
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Christmas Cheer Review

So this is the second bowl out of this tin, i opened the tin just about a week ago.

Pipe: 1967 Dunhill Tanshell
Beverage: Community Coffee American Blend black and a glass of water.
Location: outside on a gorgeous morning listening to the birds and watching the squirrels

The first two things that hit me was the ketchup tin note, you could smell it a couple feet away, then again i have a huge nose so your experience may vary, the other thing was how moist the tobacco was. The first bowl i only let dry for about an hour and lesson learned, needed a few relights as i went, which i don’t mind because what can i say when smoking a pipe i enjoy playing with it (phrasing!), this time around i let the tobacco dry on a paper towel over night and it was a much better experience overall.

This started off a little lite, some deep dark fruit, something akin to plumb or maybe fig, and some very lite spice, bits of cinnamon and clove but just floating in the background. It’s worth noting I’m really talking my time with this bowl, barley keeping the ember going and enjoying the light sipping to stoke the fire and coax the smoke, there is something so satisfying and wonderful about that, it’s the gratification of being rewarded with a nice full puff after gingerly working the tobacco. Completely different compared to smoking even the best Cubatobacco 25th.

about 2/3rds through the bowl now and the fruit is now more of a raisin and there is more of a woody earthy note, very enjoyable and a great multi-dimensional smoke.

I’m live reviewing this, which also helps slow down on the pulls and really think about the experience, same way i review cigars, i highly recommend it.

At this point the bowl is almost done and I’m going to just savor the last few minutes.

My first bowl was not nearly this enjoyable, the tobacco was just too wet and it really ruined the experience. Letting this dry a few hours was absolutely the right choice… at least for my preferences.

Is it worth the going rate, well that’s up to you, to me i think there are a lot of blends out there that i enjoy and would probably rather have a couple of those tins to the one tin of CC, again like everything else it’s personal preference, for the record no relights this time, i am glad i popped this tin and gave it a chance as it is a very enjoyable smoke and the Tanshell really handled it superbly.

sorry if the review got a bit long, i tend to ramble
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Christmas Cheer Review

I may be priced into the pipe scene if the current CC prices continue to escalate. Thanks for the review Ads.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:17 AM   #3
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I have some pipe tobacco right up your alley it’s Seattle pipe club plum pudding, the name has very little to do with actual taste but this is bourbon barrel aged, it basically smells like you open a bottle of bourbon and snort it up…. Way too strong for me i haven’t even tried it yet … don’t know if i will lol
Old 05-31-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I have some pipe tobacco right up your alley it’s Seattle pipe club plum pudding, the name has very little to do with actual taste but this is bourbon barrel aged, it basically smells like you open a bottle of bourbon and snort it up…. Way too strong for me i haven’t even tried it yet … don’t know if i will lol
You have to try it, I need a review!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-31-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

What year is the Christmas Cheer?
I loved the stuff...depending on the year.

So, Tom... You have a pipe so that you can start trying some tobacco?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:31 PM   #6
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post

07 - I hear it wasn't their best year and that the years varied greatly
Old 06-01-2022, 05:46 AM   #7
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

First Name: Mark
Trading: (14)
Partagas
8lug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've found that the bourbon smell disappears rather quickly and leaves a slight sweet finish.
8lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:07 AM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post

I do.

I'm just not sure I'm ready for the transition just yet. But I'm getting closer.

Old 06-01-2022, 03:55 PM   #9
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I do.

I'm just not sure I'm ready for the transition just yet. But I'm getting closer.
Relatively speaking it’s dirt cheap
Old 06-02-2022, 01:49 PM   #10
stevieray
Just slacking off

First Name: Steve
Trading: (42)
Bolivar
stevieray has disabled reputation

Quote:
Relatively speaking it’s dirt cheap
Don't get hooked on McClelland blends. They are the definition of "not cheap"
Old 06-02-2022, 03:17 PM   #11
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
Don't get hooked on McClelland blends. They are the definition of "not cheap"
Compared to cuban cigars they are
Old 06-02-2022, 04:28 PM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Compared to cuban cigars they are