Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Tombstone

Default Asylum Members Workout Thread

Anyone else share the passion of working out with weights, cardio, or just keeping your body physically fit?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Asylum Members Workout Thread

Not so much into cardio...but love the free weights.
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Tombstone

Me to. I just started doing cardio at the end of my workouts. I dread it.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
Me to. I just started doing cardio at the end of my workouts. I dread it.
Then don't do boring ass machines. Or atleast don't waste time lingering on them for 30-45 minutes. There are many options.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
zemekone
im hungry...

First Name: geRRy
ERdM
zemekone has disabled reputation

go to the "pumping iron with icehog3 and zemekone" thread...
Old 10-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

fxpose is on a distinguished road

Not a hipster, but I've been riding the fixed gear bicycle for many years and use it to work out as well.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Then don't do boring ass machines. Or atleast don't waste time lingering on them for 30-45 minutes. There are many options.
Give me a break. A guy that talks like that better be a picture of health. What would you suggest?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Give me a break. A guy that talks like that better be a picture of health. What would you suggest?
Cutting down on the caffeine?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I'm not "fit" by any means yet, but I'm working on getting there. I've lost 20 lbs in the last month and I'm committed to losing another 42 lbs...all hopefully by the end of February.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
Resipsa

Quote:
If you're busting azz you shouldn't have to be worried about being bored
Old 11-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #11
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Not really a picture of anything, I don't think.

i'll leave this short since I'm freaking tired from being run through a ringer. I was tired before I left class though I wanted 'more', so they made me the monkey in the middle and once someone was tapped another guy would come at me. Now I'm just tired and battered and need some sleep.

If you dread spending too much time on machines one thing you can try is 10 minutes of cardio before weights and then 10 after. So that helps to split the time up and has been shown in studies many men get good benifits from doing this and it helps get the fat off.

I'll respond to another later.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 AM   #12
Tombstone

Quote:
Not really a picture of anything, I don't think.

i'll leave this short since I'm freaking tired from being run through a ringer. I was tired before I left class though I wanted 'more', so they made me the monkey in the middle and once someone was tapped another guy would come at me. Now I'm just tired and battered and need some sleep.

If you dread spending too much time on machines one thing you can try is 10 minutes of cardio before weights and then 10 after. So that helps to split the time up and has been shown in studies many men get good benifits from doing this and it helps get the fat off.

I'll respond to another later.
Good idea. My frustration comes from people who tell everyone how they should workout...When the people giving the advice look like Sh!t (workout snobs).
Old 11-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Good idea. My frustration comes from people who tell everyone how they should workout...When the people giving the advice look like Sh!t (workout snobs).
Not really telling you how to work out. You hate putting in time on some cardio machines and so do I, so I look for other options/ways and most are more effective. A couple years back I had back to back shoulder injuries and I picked up unnecessary weight during these periods and once I started getting my strength back I still wasn't getting as lean as what I wanted or needed. I put in a lot of research and buckets of sweat. No expert here. Not personally into hypertrophy either, though nothing wrong at all packing on more size. Just my training is a bit different than if I were wanting to pack on a lot more muscle. I'm actually planning on cutting down another few pounds to sit at around 205.

I'd suggest interval training if you aren't already. You'll spend less time on the cardio, but keep the metabolism revved for a longer period of the day to burn more fat. Get outside and do some sprints. Just great for the body and you'll be prepared to run from a dog. Depending on where you're at the Tabata Protocol is brutal and effective. That's definitely something to ease into to get a taste. You'll increase both aerobic & anaerobic energy systems. If I'm going to do some steady, longer duration, aerobic work I really prefer to be outside on a bike or a good paced walk for a few miles.
Quote:
Anyone else share the passion of working out with weights, cardio, or just keeping your body physically fit?
To the original post, I love physical activity so staying fit is a must. I mainly exercise for performance in sports and life. Whether it's sprinting around bases, smashing a softball, football (flag), volleyball, punching power, grappling stamina, chopping down a tree, chasing my kids or anything else that will require good strength and conditioning.

This was after taking an axe to a medium sized tree. I started pushing the boy around in the wheelbarrow. Blurred pic, guess we were moving.

Quote:
If you're busting azz you shouldn't have to be worried about being bored
Machines are just so mind numbing, I hate them. They allow people to be lazy. I do use some of them, though when I do I'm hitting intervals. I prefer longer periods of cardio to be outside.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #14
Tombstone

Ken, looks like you know your stuff!!! I have been working out since I was 16 (I am now 26). I played ball in college. I am 6'8 and 250 lbs. I would like to be 260 what do you recommend to put on muscle while shredding what fat i do have on my body (stomach). Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logan.jpg (81.5 KB, 242 views)
Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Damn Tombstone, you're a huge dude. Quite obvious you are not at the beginning of this endeavor. As far as adding another 10lbs to that frame, well, I wouldn't listen to some anorexic tart or Dorian Yates on how to get more fit, so I'm not going to speak on the subject you definitely know your **** about.

Tom is a monster himself, so he has got to have great training protocols and I'd guess your training is a much better match.

Adding/keeping muscle while ditching the fat; what we strive for. Need to tap into "short-term intense interval training". You can probably go straight to Tabatas if you haven't already done them before. They increase both anaerobic and aerobic systems, they're quick workouts, can be scaled with variations, and brutally effective.

If you haven't done Tabatas start with a stationary bike since that would be easiest to make adjustments to. You have 8 rounds of work at 20sec on and 10sec off. So you hit the exercise as hard as possible (or moderate to begin) for 20sec's and rest 10sec's and repeat another 7x. This will turn into a total of 4 minutes. With the stationary bike I usually take about 5-10min afterward and then workout. Though with body squats, front squats, and other variations it can become torturous. I enjoy these as well for the challenging aspect. They'll test you physically and mentally.

So on a bike try for the highest RPM each round, row machine try for distance, and body movements shoot for highest reps. You just want to make sure what ever you choose it allows you to quickly go from go-stop-go. So something like the back squat just doesn't work well. And when you decide to add weight on something like the front squat, do not let ego get the best of you. Not a lot of weight is needed.

I've also spliced some music to help with the beginning and ending points which many people have liked using. I'll have to link it back out on the web if you're interested it. You need some type of timer to make this work if you aren't using a machine to watch the clock.

Here are a couple articles that have good info on it for more detail. edited: these have all the scientific jargon in them, so no need for me to regurgitate it. I'm a computer guy but I don't do tech talk either.
http://www.cbass.com/SEARCHOF.HTM

http://www.cbass.com/Tabata_GXP.htm

Kettlebells are a good S&C tool. I don't get into all the movements, but really like swings. So I started doing 10 minutes of swings. About every other month I do this and have to beat the last rep count. The 1st couple of minutes aren't bad, by the 7th I'm hoping for something to fall out of the tree and hit me, and at the 9th I figured I hadn't died yet so I can push a few more.
----------------------------------------------

So if I want to increase my deadlifts, what do you prefer for upping strength? There's a number of methods to use (5x5, rack pulls), but what do you find to work best for you? While I don't want to get away from my training I want to get my deadlift up quicker.

Last edited by Ken; 11-06-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #16
theycallmedan'lboone

Quote:
Ken, looks like you know your stuff!!! I have been working out since I was 16 (I am now 26). I played ball in college. I am 6'8 and 250 lbs. I would like to be 260 what do you recommend to put on muscle while shredding what fat i do have on my body (stomach). Thanks

I.
Hate.
you.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #17
Tombstone

Ken, thanks for the great ideas! I am defiantly going to try the Tabata training.