Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #2461
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba View Post
In my experience online is cheaper. Try some samplers from places like cigarsinternational.com or famous-smoke.com If you have any problems with your shipment their customer service is usually pretty good.
You are right -- online is usually cheaper. However, if you have a local B&M, I would recommend supporting them -- not necessarily spending all your money there, but at least some of it.

For me it's always better to go to a local shop where I can talk to people (socialize), look at the cigars, etc. Basically, help them stay in business.

I know, often the people working at these stores know very little about cigars, but once in awhile you find someone who does know what they are talking about. The latter can make the experience that much better and worth your time.

If there is a local shop and you do not patronize them, then that one time when you really need a local shop (last minute cigar gift, etc.) then they might not be there for you...

Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #2462
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

I agree Michael. It is good to go to a B&M some times and I do on occasion when they are having events or if I know they have something that I want to try. B&Ms are great but financially I can't make many visits to B&Ms knowing I can stretch my dollar a lot more online. My wife has given me a cigar budget and it's not much. B&Ms are great if you can afford them. In a perfect world I would be a regular at a B&M and make all my purchases there.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #2463
jeepster
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (0)
jeepster is on a distinguished road

I've been doing some research on tupperdors. Everything I see is saying to line it with old cigar boxes, or ceder. Is this really necessary? And what is the best method to control the humidity?

Last question. It says to calibrate some hygrometer. How do you do this? I haven't yet purchased anything to build one yet but I am wanting to here soon.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #2464
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
I've been doing some research on tupperdors. Everything I see is saying to line it with old cigar boxes, or ceder. Is this really necessary? And what is the best method to control the humidity?

Last question. It says to calibrate some hygrometer. How do you do this? I haven't yet purchased anything to build one yet but I am wanting to here soon.
Cedar is not necessary.
You can control your humidity with beads or Boveda packs.
Calibration? Right here in a sticky thread.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ight=Calibrate
Old 09-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #2465
jeepster
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Ryan
jeepster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Cedar is not necessary.
You can control your humidity with beads or Boveda packs.
Calibration? Right here in a sticky thread.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ight=Calibrate
Perfect! Thanks you sir!
Old 09-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #2466
bimmerguy82
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Joshua
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
bimmerguy82 is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a 9 bottle wineador. I usually use Drymistat tubes for my humidor. how many tubes do you think i will need to keep my wineador at 65-70% RH? I will also try to keep the temps around 65-66*F. I will probably only have roughly 25-50 sticks in there at a time.
It's roughly 6 cubic feet. Thanks
bimmerguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #2467
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy82 View Post
I just purchased a 9 bottle wineador. I usually use Drymistat tubes for my humidor. how many tubes do you think i will need to keep my wineador at 65-70% RH? I will also try to keep the temps around 65-66*F. I will probably only have roughly 25-50 sticks in there at a time.
It's roughly 6 cubic feet. Thanks
Drymistat tubes are not be the best thing for a wineador. They simply release moisture until they dry out and do not absorb excess moisture (humidity). They can be effective in wooden humidors because they tend not to seal as well and the wood also absorbs moisture. However, even in a wooden humidor the Drymistat tubes tend to over-humidify.

Wineadors tend to seal very well, so you need a humidification device that will both absorb and release moisture as needed.

The other thing is that wineador cooling units come in two models: compressor or thermoelectric. The compressor models can cause spikes in RH when they cycle on. This is not a bad thing, but it is something to be aware of.

In any case, I would recommend something better than a Drymistat tube for humidification. I obviously have a bias, but beads would be a much better choice; either Heartfelt Beads (www.heartfeltindustries.com/) or HCM Beads (www.cigarbeads.com/). Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #2468
bimmerguy82
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Joshua
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
bimmerguy82 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Drymistat tubes are not be the best thing for a wineador. They simply release moisture until they dry out and do not absorb excess moisture (humidity). They can be effective in wooden humidors because they tend not to seal as well and the wood also absorbs moisture. However, even in a wooden humidor the Drymistat tubes tend to over-humidify.

Wineadors tend to seal very well, so you need a humidification device that will both absorb and release moisture as needed.

The other thing is that wineador cooling units come in two models: compressor or thermoelectric. The compressor models can cause spikes in RH when they cycle on. This is not a bad thing, but it is something to be aware of.

In any case, I would recommend something better than a Drymistat tube for humidification. I obviously have a bias, but beads would be a much better choice; either Heartfelt Beads (www.heartfeltindustries.com/) or HCM Beads (www.cigarbeads.com/). Just my
Thanks CigarNut, I actually looked into Heartfelt beads last after night after searching more on the forum, but they are out of stock on the bigger bead bundles. So I'll have to wait on that. My wineador is a thermoelectric, so spiking shouldn't be an issue. My wineador is about 2,800 cubic inches so I'll need a few beads. thanks for the info. Cheers
bimmerguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #2469
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I would, personally, go with the Shilala's beads that CigarNut has linked on his reply
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #2470
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Not a beginner, but I forgot what they are and I want to explain them to someone, can somebody tell me the "Rules Of 3" again please?
Old 09-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #2471
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

"Three strikes, you're out."

"Three times a Lady"
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #2472
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

In any extreme situation you cannot survive for more than:

3 minutes without air - 3 hours without shelter (extreme heat or cold)

3 days without water - 3 weeks without food.

AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #2473
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Not a beginner, but I forgot what they are and I want to explain them to someone, can somebody tell me the "Rules Of 3" again please?
The Rule of Three is a reference to an opinion that there is a specific and inviolable rule as to the aging of cigars. It is mentioned on CA as a very sarcastic reference to the person who "made this rule". There is no rule of three and to try to articulate it would be tantamount to encouraging a very naive approach to cigars that no one here should fall prey to.

In short - it's a joke and do not give it any credence whatsoever.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #2474
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (2)
Army (Disabled Vet)
Byaah is on a distinguished road

Do we have any place we chat at in more of a live manner? Such as google hangouts or some chat room esq thing.
Byaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #2475
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

I think there are a couple of Facebook groups or something like that. I'm not on the book of faces so I really couldn't tell you for sure.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #2476
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

A couple of years ago there was something, but I have long since forgotten where/what it was. Might have even been long before CA, back before puff came around...
Old 11-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #2477
catdaddee69
Just in from the Storm

catdaddee69 is on a distinguished road

Yes im new to this site ,got a couple questions if ok? I been smokin for.quite a few yrs though has become very addictive as of this yr...I smoke alot of natural line by De..and like em alot...the acid line is too much like incense to me...questions...I like sweet caps such as baccarat,and Nicaraguan sweets I would like to know some other non infused sticks w sweet cap?I am also curious az to candela wrapped sticks....what would b some good choices there? Thanks in advance for any help
catdaddee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #2478
chooglin
Just in from the Storm

chooglin is on a distinguished road

Where did the cc reviews go. I like to read them. Thanks.
chooglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #2479
Alewis1983
Just in from the Storm

Alewis1983 is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

A newbie's quick question, could you please identify whether this is a mold or a bloom?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.6 KB, 382 views)
Alewis1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #2480
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Mold. Sorry.

Not serious, damaging or dangerous though. Brush it off and lower your storage humidity, you might need to leave the box open for a bit and you'll be fine.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote