Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough
Default My first cruise...

So I'm going on my first cruise in two days with my wife. I'm really excited. There seems like a ton to do. I'm bringing a lot of great cigars with me, and I plan on picking up a few "good" cigars while I'm out on the waters. We're headed into the carribean. Any suggestions on what to do while I'm on the boat?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
cheshire2
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Rich
Trading: (0)
cheshire2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My first cruise...

Getting ready to go on our second cruise to the Riviera in one week. They are great fun, you will love it. If you have not already, go to www.cruisemates.com for lots of cruise specific advise. I am looking forward to some very relaxing moments on the balcony with a stogie and adult beverage. Have a great time!
cheshire2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
GoodFella
out to sea

Trading: (7)
ERdM AirForce (Active)
GoodFella has disabled reputation

i just got back a little over 3 weeks ago. it was a blast. i hop u have more fun then i did man. take some pics and take care
Old 01-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Do nothing, or do everything, whatever strikes you at the moment.

I hate schedules, although on cruises, you have to kinda follow some unless you have flex dining.

Definitely catch some of the comedy shows.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
JohnnyKay5
Armed Forces Tumbleweed

Trading: (22)
Partagas Army (Active)
JohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura about

Enjoy not being in that chithole overseas!

HIGH FIVE!
JohnnyKay5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Let see when I went on cruises i repaired tv's, telephones, vcr's, rtv station equipment, ***** boxes, soun powered telephones, etc. Not to much fun they paid the bills.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
mrreindeer

Sounds like fun! Which boat and what ports?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

My first few cruises I did it all. Shore excursions, all the shows, the pool games, spa, etc etc. Now I am much more selective (lazy).

If it is port I have been to I may not even get off of the ship. I like sitting by the pool, reading a book, having a cigar, having an adult beverage, and just relaxing in general.

Have fun and just do what you feel like doing.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
Cigary

There is so much to do on there and you can be as busy as you want to be or as lazy. Check the little newspaper they give you everyday so you can see the activities. I loved the jazz bands in the smoking areas and would spend a few hours in the evening after dinner. What ports are you going to be in as I have been to all of them and some islands are better than others. Remember, in each port you can "negotiate" tours and such. The islanders think that all people who take cruises are made of money,,,so don't let them think that you have money to burn. You get a much better rate for tours if you bring along another couple ( or 2 ) and you can bargain a much better fare. The tours off the cruise line aren't all that great as they only take you to established tours. You came all that way to see the real thing so have one of the local guides take you to places that aren't so touristy. The guides with the better vehicles are the ones to bargain with,,,not the vehicles that look like they are on their last wheel. PM me for more ideas if you'd like.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
JohnnyKay5
Armed Forces Tumbleweed

Trading: (22)
Partagas Army (Active)
JohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura about

Meeting people was a great part of the crusie and always drinking/smoking or doing excursions with them was awesome..

Jon left today he may not be back for a bit

HIGH FIVE!
JohnnyKay5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #11
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshire2 View Post
Getting ready to go on our second cruise to the Riviera in one week. They are great fun, you will love it. If you have not already, go to www.cruisemates.com for lots of cruise specific advise. I am looking forward to some very relaxing moments on the balcony with a stogie and adult beverage. Have a great time!
That has been my number one goal as well. Just sitting back and relaxing with a cigar and drink on my balcony.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #12
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
Sounds like fun! Which boat and what ports?
We're heading out of Ft. Lauderdale and stopping in Ocho Rios and Cayman Islands. The boat is the Navigator of the Seas (or something like that). Headed out on Royal Carribean.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #13
tobii3

try not to laugh, but most cruises have one thing in common.....

Starboard. Remember starboard.

That's the deck levels you are allowed to smoke on!!!

(Other than the cigar lounge or your stateroom balcony!!)
Old 01-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #14
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post

(Other than the cigar lounge or your stateroom balcony!!)
Uh, starboard is a side, right side I believe, not a level.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
Willygt
FunkY Monkey!!

First Name: Carlos
Trading: (0)
VR
Willygt is on a distinguished road

one question,

In these cruises, do you really feel the movement enough to feel sea sick?

Because i have gone out fishing but on small fishing boats and I never hold more than 10 min. before i am really sick hahaha. I have always thought that since these are a lot bigger you really do not feel the movement. is that true?
Willygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #16
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parshooter View Post
Uh, starboard is a side, right side I believe, not a level.
there are usually two decks that are open air...the one with the pool, and the one above...hence the starboard side of the decks.

Don't ask me why, but every ship I've been on lists the starboard sides of the decks as the smoking areas.

And Willygt -

You only feel the ship move in rough seas....technology has come a LONG way with these cruise ships - you can be in 8 - 12 ft swells and the ship barely rocks
Old 01-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #17
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbejon View Post
We're heading out of Ft. Lauderdale and stopping in Ocho Rios and Cayman Islands. The boat is the Navigator of the Seas (or something like that). Headed out on Royal Carribean.
Cool; I've heard great things about RCL (Royal Caribbean) and we went on Celebrity most recently (owned by RCL) and loved it. We also stopped in Ochos Rios and Grand Cayman as well as Cozumel and Key West. (I just now noticed that you're probably already crusin' as we speak!)

Ochos Rios was really nice. We chose to do the ZipLine but did want to see the Ochos Rios Falls so we just took a cab to see it from the outside and to the beach and secluded cove below it (where the falls meet the sea). The ZipLine was a lot of fun (it was our first time) and we enjoyed the secluded cove but I was wary of our driver (who really was a really nice old chap...you just have to be careful of who you leave to watch your clothes and cameras...).

Grand Cayman was great, we did the Catamaran trip to StingRay City which was one incredible experience, as a large hammerhead shark circled and left us alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willygt View Post
In these cruises, do you really feel the movement enough to feel sea sick?
Quote:
And Willygt -

You only feel the ship move in rough seas....technology has come a LONG way with these cruise ships - you can be in 8 - 12 ft swells and the ship barely rocks
Yep!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #18
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:

now I know why you are in the army and not in the navy
Old 01-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #19
tobii3

when you walk out on deck, you get frowned upon for smoking in the wrong area.

Starboard side is the smoking side.

In other words, if you are looking over the railing, the ship is moving to your left.

If it isn't, YOU ARE ON THE WRONG SIDE!!!!!

Quote:
Public Spaces: Most ships have designated smoking areas, usually on one side or another of the ship. If smoking is permitted on deck on the port side, that's where smokers should go to light up and where non-smokers should avoid sitting. You'd think that's pretty basic, but many a fight has started over cigarette smoke because one side or another is in the "wrong" space.

It's important to note that shipboard personnel cannot change policy. For example, they cannot and will not ask someone to stop smoking on that person's balcony (except on cruise lines where it's prohibited), but they can and will ask someone to move to a smoking area if that person is in one that is clearly non-smoking. Avoid confrontation; let the ship's personnel handle the asking.
taken from www.cruisecritic.com
Old 01-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #20
bugmenot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tony
Trading: (4)
bugmenot is on a distinguished road

You will have lots of fun! Went with my family about 3 years ago to Mexico, and going again with the whole family this summer to Alaska. Don't feel like you HAVE to do any of the excursions, or anything like that. Like someone else said, dinner can be a pain with the schedule, but even then, don't be afraid to miss dinner, as there is always food somewhere.
bugmenot is offline   Reply With Quote