Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-16-2010, 02:46 AM   #1
vale

Default What Do You Tell Them?

Yes, everybody smoker knows and has been asked before, if you know that smoking cigars is very detrimental to your health (because of the nicotine an d so on)

I tell them to ask that to people who like cheese, as more people die from cholestrol than nicotine.

What do you tell them?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:33 AM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: What Do You Tell Them?

I tell them to mind their own business, and that smoking a cigar loweres my stress levels, therefore declining the chances of a heart attack.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I tell them to look at all the fast food they eat. One of us is going to suffer much quicker than the other and they are costing health-care IMMEDIATELY. I also suggest they tax Mcdonalds and leave my cigars/cigarettes alone. I pay for my habit with a higher tax, the health-care afterwards is unnecessary they get me for what $3 a pack and how much on cigars?
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:13 AM   #4
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

Piss off!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 AM   #5
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I work in a hospital, and I tell them that non-smokers die every day.

or:

"I've got this pink spot on my lung I'm trying to get rid of."

or:

"It takes ten years off your life, but they're at the end, and they suck anyway."

or:

"I'm trying to avoid the nursing home."

or:

"If tobacco taxes pay for healthcare for poor kids, then I'm doin' it for the kids; I'm a philanthropist!"

And finally, my sig line:
Old 10-16-2010, 05:31 AM   #6
bigdix
Cigarmurai

First Name: Dan
Trading: (1)
Trinidad AirForce (Active)
bigdix will become famous soon enough

"F*ck off." This is my personal favorite.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:56 AM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

George Burns smoked more cigars than I do, between 10 & 15 a day. He attended his doctor's funeral, who suggested he quit, and lived to be 100 years old. Personally, I cannot afford to smoke that many a day, so I probably won't live that long.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #8
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road

I blow smoke in their face and then suggest they engage in an attempt to procreate in solitude.
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Trading: (3)
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation

Remind them that Nicotine has been shown to stop alzhiemer's, and to come back in 3 decades when they're going down the pan and you aren't.

Also, point out the for general Scientific purposes, a 92.5% accuracy is required for something to be true, apart from smoking, where 'peer pressure' has reduced this to 82%.

Or, in line with some others here, and as I pretty much did (see my Oliva V Lancero review), point out their hypocrisy and tell them to F*ck off!

TAMF,PPAB,ETWWWUTL,LITMPTYCL
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
dvickery
Team of 1

First Name: derrek
Trading: (0)
dvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura about

the death rate remains steady @100%...smoker or non-smoker...me and you all end up in the same place.

derrek
Old 10-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
gijoey959

"So's your face"

Does it make sense for every statement or question? No.
Does it leave them confused as you walk away smiling? Every time
Old 10-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #12
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I tell them to mind their own business, and that smoking a cigar loweres my stress levels, therefore declining the chances of a heart attack.
Aside from that, I tell them I see my General Practitioner regularly for check ups and bi annual blood work.
Additionally, I see him at times I am sick.
Additionally, my wife also sees him.

EACH and EVERY time we see him, I take him a handful of Cuban Cigars so he can enjoy on the golf course.

So......if good enough for my family doctor, good enough for me.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vale View Post
Yes, everybody smoker knows and has been asked before, if you know that smoking cigars is very detrimental to your health (because of the nicotine an d so on)

What do you tell them?
I am not sure this is an accurate statement. Although there are many definitive studies regarding cigarette consumption, there have only been one or two on cigar smoking and I dont think they have been conclusive. Nothing good can come from inhaling burning leaves, but the nicotine levels delivered by cigars is relatively low. In cigarettes the chemical additives are even more carcinogenic than nicotine, none of which are present in cigars.

I have only been smoking regularly(2-4/day) for the past 4 years and at this stage in my life I no longer have to answer to anyone about my personal choices.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I tend to say, "thank you for your concern"

Very few push it past that. I get to be nice to someone and they get to play at being concerned. Everybody wins.

btw, studies show that the leading cause of death is birth. If you wish to avoid death ...
Old 10-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I say "Yeah, I know. You want one?"
Anyone that really knows me is happy that I just settled on cigars instead of one of a million other sh!tty vices that I could be involved in at that particular moment.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I just ignore them...
Old 10-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

"Have you heard about the new study linking tobacco use and violent outbursts?"

Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I am not sure this is an accurate statement. Although there are many definitive studies regarding cigarette consumption, there have only been one or two on cigar smoking and I dont think they have been conclusive. Nothing good can come from inhaling burning leaves, but the nicotine levels delivered by cigars is relatively low. In cigarettes the chemical additives are even more carcinogenic than nicotine, none of which are present in cigars.

If you look at other nicotine-delivering methods, it's not the nicotine that causes the problems, but the additives or by-products associated with that method.
Nasal snuff has been around for hundreds of years and there are no documented (or undocumented for that matter) cases that show health risk associated to snuff at all.

From what I read, smoking 2 cigars or less a day has little to no effect on your probability of getting cancer. This is from an ACS study. (Of course, probability is far from absolute, so don't base your life on it.)

Anyway, these are more reason for you to justify your hobby to yourself, rather than to others.

If its your family telling you, smile, tell them you love them and thank them for their concern. If it's a stranger, well all bets are off.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #19
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
"Have you heard about the new study linking tobacco use and violent outbursts?"

Old 10-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #20
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
I tend to say, "thank you for your concern"

Very few push it past that. I get to be nice to someone and they get to play at being concerned. Everybody wins...
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote