Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
cheshire2
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Rich
Trading: (0)
cheshire2 is on a distinguished road
Default My wife had an accident today

Ok here is the story;
We live in Nevada but my wife was shopping in California today and while trying to park our 3/4 ton Dodge, she bumped the vehicle behind her (Old junker), got out and saw absolutely no damage to either vehicle. She stayed there and hit a couple shops then left the scene. Got back to our place of business a while ago (decals on side of our truck) and the police called. The guy was a dick and read her the riot act for not reporting the accident and said there was damage to the other vehicle and said he will turn the case over to the DA. Said she should have called to police even though there was no damage.

WTF? I thought that there was supposed to be at least $750 worth of damage before you were required to report an accident. Our insurance agent said he has never heard of reporting an accident where there was no damage. There is not even a mark on our truck but of course we would never be able to prove that the other vehicle was not damaged.

Anyone been through anything similar before?

Last edited by cheshire2; 02-23-2009 at 05:26 PM.
cheshire2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: My wife had an accident today

Go to the California DMV website and look at the forms for reporting an accident. If the DMV information doesn't support the policeman's claims, call back to the officer's supervisor and explain that you felt that the officer was intimidating you and not following proper procedure. Ask for a copy of any police reports and also ask that the officer call back with an apology. Be sure to find out if the case has been referred and then find out where to call to follow up on the referral.

The police report will have the person's name and phone number and most likely an address. See if you can get someone to go by and get a picture asap.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

My mom was at a mall some time after Thanksgiving. Some how she backed into a car in the Parking lot but did not damage their car but her car, dented her bumper, cracked the rear tail light lens. Subaru wanted like $400 for a new lens and a body guy I know fixed everything for $300. They didnt have to call the cops
Old 02-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshire2 View Post
Ok here is the story;
We live in Nevada but my wife was shopping in California today and while trying to park our 3/4 ton Dodge, she bumped the vehicle behind her (Old junker), got out and saw absolutely no damage to either vehicle. She stayed there and hit a couple shops then left the scene. Got back to our place of business a while ago (decals on side of our truck) and the police called. The guy was a dick and read her the riot act for not reporting the accident and said there was damage to the other vehicle and said he will turn the case over to the DA. Said she should have called to police even though there was no damage.

WTF? I thought that there was supposed to be at least $750 worth of damage before you were required to report an accident. Our insurance agent said he has never heard of reporting an accident where there was no damage. There is not even a mark on our truck but of course we would never be able to prove that the other vehicle was not damaged.

Anyone been through anything similar before?
Why would you make the second statement of amount of damage if there was no damage?

Was there NO damage or just not enough that she thought she should worry about?

Technically, if there is even a scratch on the other vehicle she is required to at least exchange insurance info with the owner of the other vehicle. A note and insurance info should suffice.
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
cheshire2
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam View Post
Why would you make the second statement of amount of damage if there was no damage?

Was there NO damage or just not enough that she thought she should worry about?

Technically, if there is even a scratch on the other vehicle she is required to at least exchange insurance info with the owner of the other vehicle. A note and insurance info should suffice.
Because there was no damage, that's what "no damage" means. Sorry if you misunderstood, but I was looking for suggestions, not someone to read something into my comment that was not there. I was merely quoting the only thing I have been able to find regarding requirements for reporting accidents.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

hope everything works out...
Old 02-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Being in the insurance claims business for nearly 27 years, I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard "there was no damage".

Unfortunately, I have seen and written estimates many times post that statement, where there was in fact damage, just not evident to the party causing it.
Even a scratch, if to be repaired, needs some grinding time and refinish, which is usually around 2.0 for a bumper, at the hourly labor rate, plus materials which is a set dollar amount times the hours of paint.
That just means that a scratch can in fact be several hundred dollars to repair.

Sometimes the bumper covers get damaged by being pressed against the metal reinforcement underneath and it leaves a stretched mark needing repairs.

Tough situation if your wife genuinely believed there was no damage visible. I guess that would be her defense. I know you believe your wife's version and I would too if it were my wife but I have also learned there are three sides to every story. One has to wonder why an officer would go through such trouble if in fact there was no damage.

Sorry, not trying to stir you up at all. Just being candid and offering an opinion that may have merit.
Good luck.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Personally, I feel a note with contact information left on the other car would have been the right thing to do, but that's just me.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
SixPackSunday

i hadnt planned on telling anybody this.... but last week during a very VERY VERY bad day, i bumped a 'depart of corrections' car with my suburban and almost **** myself. i decided my day was over.

he got out and asked me to back up... there was no damage... he sighed, said 'ok' and got back in the car and drove away.

i'm still counting my lucky stars over it.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
cheshire2
Just in from the Storm

Wink Re: My wife had an accident today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Being in the insurance claims business for nearly 27 years, I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard "there was no damage".

Unfortunately, I have seen and written estimates many times post that statement, where there was in fact damage, just not evident to the party causing it.
Even a scratch, if to be repaired, needs some grinding time and refinish, which is usually around 2.0 for a bumper, at the hourly labor rate, plus materials which is a set dollar amount times the hours of paint.
That just means that a scratch can in fact be several hundred dollars to repair.

Tough situation if your wife genuinely believed there was no damage visible. I guess that would be her defense. I know you believe your wife's version and I would too if it were my wife but I have also learned there are three sides to every story. One has to wonder why an officer would go through such trouble if in fact there was no damage.

Sorry, not trying to stir you up at all. Just being candid and offering an opinion that may have merit.
Good luck.

Sometimes the bumper covers get damaged by being pressed against the metal reinforcement underneath and it leaves a stretched mark needing repairs.

Thanks for the reply. You are right that there might in fact have been some damage. Of course I am just relaying my wife's impression. After 32 years of marriage I certainly support her and have the utmost confidence in her honesty and integrity, however she could be wrong and we certainly have always taken care of our screw-ups. I guess I am concerned that our insurance company might be paying for something that she did not cause. Of course they would not contest it, because it would be cheaper to just pay for the repair. My other concern is that my wife might be penalized for an honest mistake. She did not see any damage and honestly did not think there was any reason to pursue things any further.

Oh well, live and learn. I would have probably done the same thing. Whats a good cigar to smoke under these circumstances? I mean there is nothing to celebrate, and I hate to waste a good smoke to just relieve stress. Maybe a good stiff drink?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
cheshire2
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
Personally, I feel a note with contact information left on the other car would have been the right thing to do, but that's just me.
In hindsight I am confident that she feels the same. Just a a snap judgment based on the fact that she could not see any damage. She really regrets the situation now and has been depressed all afternoon. We always try to do the right thing in these situations, but I guess you miss one sometimes.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #12
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

If the acident happened in a parking lot, which is private property, wouldn't each individuals insurance company be responsible to repair their own cars. I am not sure if that is true, but I have heard it in the past. And unless there were witnesses, or a video, how can anyone prove your wife did the damage.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #13
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by groogs View Post
If the acident happened in a parking lot, which is private property, wouldn't each individuals insurance company be responsible to repair their own cars.
Don't want to threadjack but feel it is somewhat related.
You ask a great question that I would love the opportunity to address as it is a big misconception that is quite widespread.

Each state has varying laws set up to address % of liability in an accident. Some states like NY and Florida are comparative negligence, meaning every party in an accident gets a percentage of liability assigned to them, ranging from 0 to 100. Based on the % you are not negligent, that is the % of the damages you sustained that you are able to recover from the other party.

Some states have it that if anyone is over 50% at fault, the party that is not recovers all.

In an accident where you are not moving or not in the car and your vehicle is legally parked, in any state, that would make the striking party 100% at fault and either that at fault party is personally responsible or their insurance will cover it under the liability coverage.

While that all varies from state to state, the one thing that is a fact is that if you are at fault in an accident, you owe. The other party can choose to go through your insurance, they can choose to go through their insurance which will in turn subrogate against yours for the money they paid, or they can elect to bypass that all and sue you directly.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:10 AM   #14
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Damage wasn't caused by the bump, it happened when a soccer ball fell off the bed when she was leaving.

Seriously though, I hope that there are no repercussions for her.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 AM   #15
morefifemusic

That really bites.

Along with leaving a note, I would take my cellphone out and take pictures of the affected area before I left.

That way the other guy can't mess up his car and call you for the damages.

Good luck getting it all straightened out.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #16
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshire2 View Post
In hindsight I am confident that she feels the same. Just a a snap judgment based on the fact that she could not see any damage. She really regrets the situation now and has been depressed all afternoon. We always try to do the right thing in these situations, but I guess you miss one sometimes.
Sorry if my first post was portrayed as challenging, but I ,as Blueface stated, see a lot of situations where people just won't "man up" to a situation that they created. Not saying that is what happened with your Wife, I wasn't there, that is just the point of view that I have developed in my chosen career. Once again I'm not trying to challenge your wife's claims, I wasn't there.

Hindsight is 20/20 my Friend , we all would have done things differently at times if we could do them over again. That being said, "it is what it is", now you just have to deal with it. If charges are brought down then you will definitely want the pictures from that report to see what they are claiming happened from this crash. If she says there was no damage then that is exactly what she should tell the judge (if it even gets to that point). If there was damage (which is what the claim is) and she truly didn't see it then it was just a mistake and hopefully the judge will see it that way and be lenient.

My advise to you would be to be apologetic through the entire ordeal and definitely not have attitude with the Police Officer (warranted or not). Because the charges have to originate from him, so he's not the guy you wanna piss off right now. Just let the insurance companies work it out, trust me, they won't just pay off the damage if they feel it wasn't from this situation.

Hope it helps Bro and I also hope it works out for the best.
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #17
AriesOpusX
Goodfella

AriesOpusX is on a distinguished road

You have to be careful with things like this, the other party could go as far as claiming their transmission was damaged because your wife pushed their vehicle backwards while it was in park. Best thing to do is leave a note to cover your rear, hope all works out though.
AriesOpusX is offline   Reply With Quote