Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 04-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #121
kayaker

Default Re: What is your favorite Scotch Whisky

[quote=D. Generate;320291]Outside of the society I am a great fan of independent bottlers. Seriously everyone who likes whisky should be looking at these guys. Particularly since in the 70s and 80s when single malt wasn't in demand, a lot of barrels ended up in their hands. They have been rising in price in the past few years but some can still be found for a bargain. [quote]

Spot on!!! I've loved most of the IBs that I have had. Dewer Ratray and Murray/MacDavid are 2 ofmy favourite, but it really depends on what's in the bottle. I had a great bottle of Caol Ila bottled by First Cask. From what I have heard, IBs may become more rare because many distilleries are refusing to sell their barrels for that purpose.

[quote=D. Generate;320291]I don't like the current trend to finish everything in a sherry cask or similar. It has its place, but it's a limited place and is being abused (I'm looking at you Bruichladdich). [quote]

Them's fighting words.

I happen to be a big fan of what Bruichladdich is doing, and I think they are doing a better job than most with finishing.

Beside, aging in Sherry is/was a common thing because the barrels used to be so available in the UK when Sherry sales were much higher than they are today. Bourbon barrels are plentiful and cheap, but the Sherry is a nice change once and a while.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #122
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Have you had Superstition yet?

It's on my hit list.
My girlfriend got me a bottle for my bday. Superstition is very very good!
It is one of the smoothest Islay's I've had! I'm a huge fan of Lagavulin 16 and love the smoke in it. Superstition isn't as smoky but there is a little hickory smoke in there.

I love this scotch!
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #123
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
It is one of the smoothest Islay's I've had! I'm a huge fan of Lagavulin 16 and love the smoke in it. Superstition isn't as smoky but there is a little hickory smoke in there.

I love this scotch!
I've never heard of this one before....I had to look it up. Where did you get it? The VA ABC doesn't carry it or special order it.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #124
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

I'm big fan of Bowmore Legend, and 12.

Speaking of Scotch, has anyone tried Japanese single malt? It's supposed to be as good as Scotch and in some cases better(blasphemy!)
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #125
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
I'm big fan of Bowmore Legend, and 12.

Speaking of Scotch, has anyone tried Japanese single malt? It's supposed to be as good as Scotch and in some cases better(blasphemy!)
I've heard that the Japanese have been making some good stuff, but I haven't tried any of it yet....
Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #126
kayaker

Quote:

I love this scotch!
I have a bottle at home now. I like it.

BTW it's not an Islay malt, it's from Jura, an Island adjacent to Islay.

Bruichladdie makes some very smooth malts, though most are not as peaty as the rest of the Islay distilleries.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #127
blugill
Feeling at Home

blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning9191 View Post
I've never heard of this one before....I had to look it up. Where did you get it? The VA ABC doesn't carry it or special order it.
She works part time at a local liquor store and they had it in stock.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #128
blugill
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I have a bottle at home now. I like it.

BTW it's not an Islay malt, it's from Jura, an Island adjacent to Islay.

Bruichladdie makes some very smooth malts, though most are not as peaty as the rest of the Islay distilleries.
It's not an Islay? I could have sworn I read that it was. Regardless I enjoyed it immensely! It might very well by my favorite now or at least my co-favorite with Lagavulin 16!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #129
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It's not an Islay? I could have sworn I read that it was. Regardless I enjoyed it immensely! It might very well by my favorite now or at least my co-favorite with Lagavulin 16!
This should help:

Isle Of Jura, Superstition Scotch

Superstition is the result of a marriage of two whiskies. The first one is characterized by its peaty taste, in the traditional style of Islay, and the other by it's delicate mildness.The dark colour recalls the Mahogany wood, with gold glints.The sweet smell due to the long stay in american oak casks mixes itself with some phenol, honey and marzipan hints.The very complex taste reveals spices, pine and peat fragrances.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #130
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Ok I love me some bourbon but I have never, not once tried scotch! What are some good starter Scotches? Thanks in advance.

James
Old 04-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #131
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner View Post
Ok I love me some bourbon but I have never, not once tried scotch! What are some good starter Scotches? Thanks in advance.

James
You could start with JW Red or Black, but I'd reccomend starting with one of the lower end single malts like Bowmore Legend, Glenfiddich, or Glenlivet.
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #132
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

skip the JW red and black and even skip chivas....it is the stuff the scottish send over to the rebellious yanks, and we havent gotten the joke yet....

go for the glenlivet, or if you can find it a single malt called McClellands....good lower end single malts, although the glenlivet is considered one of the better reasonable priced ones, drink it neat or with a splash of water....not more than one ice cube if you have to
Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #133
blugill
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
This should help:

Isle Of Jura, Superstition Scotch

Superstition is the result of a marriage of two whiskies. The first one is characterized by its peaty taste, in the traditional style of Islay, and the other by it's delicate mildness.The dark colour recalls the Mahogany wood, with gold glints.The sweet smell due to the long stay in american oak casks mixes itself with some phenol, honey and marzipan hints.The very complex taste reveals spices, pine and peat fragrances.
I know I saw Islay in the description somewhere!
Thank you very much!
Great scotch!!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #134
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by colimo View Post
skip the JW red and black and even skip chivas....it is the stuff the scottish send over to the rebellious yanks, and we havent gotten the joke yet....

go for the glenlivet, or if you can find it a single malt called McClellands....good lower end single malts, although the glenlivet is considered one of the better reasonable priced ones, drink it neat or with a splash of water....not more than one ice cube if you have to
Well, I am 67 years old and I have tasted one hell of a lot of different scotches, both blended and Single Malt, during my life so far. IMHO, at about $90 a bottle, not too crazy, Chivas 18yo is one of the finest scotches in the world, and it's a blend. Also, by choice, my go to scotch for the last 20, maybe 25 years, has been Johnnie Walker Black, also a blended scotch. So can you explain to me about this joke we haven't gotten yet?
Old 04-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #135
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

What age Glenlivet would you recommend...I am not looking to spend a fortune on my first bottle!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #136
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

whatever it was Dokk gave me, the only Scotch that didn't make me gag
Old 04-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #137
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner View Post
What age Glenlivet would you recommend...I am not looking to spend a fortune on my first bottle!
go for the basic 12 yr old glenlivet to start with....you will find it enjoyable and reasonable...my local liquor store has it at about $ 30-32 a bottle...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #138
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
go for the basic 12 yr old glenlivet to start with....you will find it enjoyable and reasonable...my local liquor store has it at about $ 30-32 a bottle...
sweet...thanks for the advice. Will try it out and will be thrilled if I like it 1/10 as much as bourbon
Old 04-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #139
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Well, I am 67 years old and I have tasted one hell of a lot of different scotches, both blended and Single Malt, during my life so far. IMHO, at about $90 a bottle, not too crazy, Chivas 18yo is one of the finest scotches in the world, and it's a blend. Also, by choice, my go to scotch for the last 20, maybe 25 years, has been Johnnie Walker Black, also a blended scotch. So can you explain to me about this joke we haven't gotten yet?
I'm not as much a fan of blends but there are definitely some good ones. Bottom line, drink what you like and like what you drink.

Blends make scotch more accessible to the public increasing sales and saving the Scotch industry. If not for that then there would be fewer single malts to choose from and they would be more expensive.

Also, single malts are made from malt whisky only whereas blends include other grains, therefore they will taste different. Not necessarily better, because that depends on what you like.

Blends are generally cheaper than SMs because they are cheaper to make, not because they don't taste as good.

In any case, it's time for a dram!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #140
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

I've tried several listed and I guess I'm not cool enough to drink it.