Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default Room 101 One Shot One Kill

A few weeks ago I attended one of the first stops on the Room 101 Cigars Cigarmaggedon tour at The Village Tobacconist in Fairlawn Ohio. (Here's some video Matt Booth (owner of Room 101) shot of me and my friend Dan.) I had a great time, as always, hanging out with the guys and smoking some new sticks. While I was there I was handed a sample of a new cigar still being tweeked by Matt Booth and still in pre-release stage named One Shot One Kill. At least that's what the band says, so I am guessing that will be the name. This is a pre-release so who knows. I asked Matt for a quote about the cigar or any specifics and here is his response.

Quote Matt Booth: "I refuse your request sir."

If you know Matt this will not come as a surprise to you because, I can assure you, he meant nothing harsh by that comment and that he's just being his normal joking self. So with all of that said, this review will be pretty much uninformed and just what I thought of the stick.

Due to the size of this cigar, this review is only in two parts instead of the traditional thirds.

Specifics
Vitola: small figurado
Length: 4.75ish
Ring Gauge: 50ish
Wrapper: ?
Binder: ?
Filler: ?
Price: $?
Smoking Location: My back deck
Beverage: Water

Pre-Light
What a fun little shape. Those are the words that first came to mind when sitting down to write this review. I have smoked other cigars with this similar size and shape in the past, but they are few and far between. The wrapper of my One Shot One kill was light brown with a very reddish hue to it. I'd guess some sort of rasado wrapper, but I'm not going to spend this whole review speculating what this cigar is made of. The cigar was overall well constructed except for the cap, which looked to be applied in a pretty sloppy fashion. Hey it's a pre-release. Who cares right? The pre-lit aroma smelled of straight natural tobacco, but the cold draw was a bit more interesting. The strong and somewhat robust flavors on the cold draw were of Brazil nuts and dried fruit. Interesting start.

First Half

I lit the foot of my One Shot One Kill with a soft flame lighter and the flavors started to bellow out in a very smooth and non-abrupt way. Again it's kind of hard to explain some smoking experiences in words, and this ease or mellowing into tasting the flavors is another one of those times. Anyway, the flavor profile consisted of warm allspice and orange peel on the front. On the finish, more allspice, but this time with more of a nutty kick mixed in. I can say right now that I loved it and you can stop reading the rest of the review if you like. The construction of the cigar was top notch and the amount of smoke I was easily able to pull from stick was pretty significant. Something also to mention is the strength of the ash on this little guy. I had to knock the ash of this stick before it fell naturally because it was windy outside and I didn't want to wear it. I think in a calm environment, this cigar's ash would hold past the band. The strength of the cigar was in the medium range.

Second Half and Final Thoughts
The second half of my One Shot One Kill was similar to the first half with really two major changes. The first change was in the flavor profile, but more specifically in the finish of the profile. The front still had a lot of warm allspice and orange peel, but the finish took on a very "bready" taste. At this part of the cigar I was thinking "wow, this is great cigar for fall" because it's short on time to smoke (could be cold outside) and it has flavors that remind me of that time of year. Like I said above, I loved it. The other major change was the strength of the cigar shot right up the ladder and well into the full range. I could really feel the nicotine in my system and my heart rate went up for sure. It was not too full power, but if it was larger vitola, I would have been wishing I had a bigger dinner. Full strength and full flavor all the way to the nub.

My final thoughts on the Room 101 One Shot One Kill?
Matt Booth really has something rolling this year. The Namakubi release was my sleeper hit from the trade show. The Room 101 Connecticut didn't blow me away, but it's a solid release not to be overlooked. And now this little guy...this was the powerhouse of the group. I really enjoyed the spiciness that was unique and the balance between flavor and strength was perfect. If you're looking for a strong cigar in a short format, this should be your go to stick.

Would I buy it again?
If the blend stays the same from pre-release to full production I will for sure be picking up more of these. I am a fan of small cigars and this is another great one to add to my rotation.

Would I buy a box? Depends on the price, but I would say it is box worthy.

For more pictures please visit http://tinyurl.com/44jlwoj

Dan
Old 09-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Room 101 One Shot One Kill

Great review, I am looking for some shorter smoke time since the weather is changing and it's going to be tough to smoke as much.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review. I have enjoyed the 101s I have had. Will need to keep an eye out for the release of The One Shot Kill
Old 09-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

*scratches head*

What is up with these NC's lately....My Uzi weighs a ton (makes no sense, Uzi's weigh as much as any standard SMG) and now One shot one kill?

Great review though.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Sounds like it will be worth a shot (pun intended) thanks Dan
Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
*scratches head*

What is up with these NC's lately....My Uzi weighs a ton (makes no sense, Uzi's weigh as much as any standard SMG) and now One shot one kill?

Great review though.
Lotsa gun nuts smoke stogies . I like the marketing behind this stuff...adds some 'spice' if you will, to the process. My Uzi Weighs A Ton is a great name. I don't think they named it that to make a statistical comparison to the weight of an uzi. They probably liked the way it sounds...me too

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd View Post
I don't think they named it that to make a statistical comparison to the weight of an uzi. They probably liked the way it sounds...me too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPkNE1fdlJ8
Old 09-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
Sounds like it will be worth a shot (pun intended) thanks Dan
What he said...
Old 09-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
thechrisdotcom

thechrisdotcom has disabled reputation

I think the 1 Shot, 1 Kill is a reference to a samurai or something as in a beheading, 1 shot to make it a clean cut. Since Matt is into the Japanese culture, I think that's what he's referencing. I THINK.

I wanna say these cigars were at the IPCPR or something and he mentioned it on a video blog. I may be wrong.
thechrisdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Nice review Dan! Thanks.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrisdotcom View Post
I think the 1 Shot, 1 Kill is a reference to a samurai or something as in a beheading, 1 shot to make it a clean cut. Since Matt is into the Japanese culture, I think that's what he's referencing. I THINK.

I wanna say these cigars were at the IPCPR or something and he mentioned it on a video blog. I may be wrong.
One shot, one kill is a phrase that is pounded into Marine Corps recruits during their time at the rifle range. Perhaps he had an association with or was a Marine at one time?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #12
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrisdotcom View Post

that one is namakubi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
One shot, one kill is a phrase that is pounded into Marine Corps recruits during their time at the rifle range. Perhaps he had an association with or was a Marine at one time?
yep..he was a marine...
matt booth intro

if i not mistaken.. this cigar are made for his friend who own OSOK cloting linehttp://osokill.com/
that big guy in this pic

sorry if missinfo
Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I got my hands on one of these. I Think this is going to be a box buy whey they are released. Great tasting cigar.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
*scratches head*

Great review though.
Catchy names can generate sales. People see the name and instantly are drawn to it because of it's name. It's a great marketing strategy. I even contemplated ordering a 5er of the Uzi's just based on the name.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

This cigar sounds mighty tasty, will have to put it on my list to try when it comes out.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
Ncpsycho is on a distinguished road

They were suppose to ship to some stores 2 days ago anyone know where to get them ?
Ncpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncpsycho View Post
They were suppose to ship to some stores 2 days ago anyone know where to get them ?
Smoke Inn has them
Old 02-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Just ordered a 5er of the Trucha (6.5 X 50).
Old 02-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #19
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the review! I will have to keep my eyes out for this one... sounds very enticing!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the review!
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote