Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Puros Indios Reserva Maxima ’03 Robusto

I received this cigar in a sampler deal from CI. I have read numerous posts about how bad Puros Indios cigars and anything else by Rolando Reyes Jr. are. Well after smoking this stick I would completely agree. From the first draw to a little past the halfway point, this cigar was disgusting. Tastes of dry cardboard and leaves. Normaly, I would have put this stick down but I wanted to do a review on it, so I kept on puffin. The last third was surprisingly decent, but I wouldn't want anyone to suffer for as long as I did just to get to a slightly decent final third of a robusto. It reminded me of one of the CI el-cheapos (Cremosa, Oro Cubano, Joya Del Jefe, etc.). At least these dog rockets are less than a buck a peice.
Would I recommend this stick to anyone? Hell no!
Would I buy this stick again? Hell no!
I know normaly I wouldn't write off a certain brand by smoking just one stick, but in this case...

My recommendation to all interested in trying a Puros Indios: STAY AWAY!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
EEE

Default Re: Puros Indios Reserva Maxima ’03 Robusto

it's funny, not in the "ha-ha" way, that anyone would write off all other cigar lines of a manufacturer, or even the one reviewed, based on a single experience.

How did you ever get married - or did you marry the first girl you dated?

I guarantee that I can send you 10 blinded sticks and you wouldn't be able to pick out the 5 Puros Indios/Reyes Family ones I put in there. In fact - I would be willing to bet money that if you gave 10 honest reviews that you'd rate a couple of them at the top of your list.

I'm new here but have been looking through a lot of posts and am quite surprised at how negative this site is on some manufacturers but are overly positive on others.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEE View Post
it's funny, not in the "ha-ha" way, that anyone would write off all other cigar lines of a manufacturer, or even the one reviewed, based on a single experience.

How did you ever get married - or did you marry the first girl you dated?

I guarantee that I can send you 10 blinded sticks and you wouldn't be able to pick out the 5 Puros Indios/Reyes Family ones I put in there. In fact - I would be willing to bet money that if you gave 10 honest reviews that you'd rate a couple of them at the top of your list.

I'm new here but have been looking through a lot of posts and am quite surprised at how negative this site is on some manufacturers but are overly positive on others.

Welcome to CA, way to attack a member's post from 8 months ago on your first post... An introduction first would be more approprate.

Last edited by ade06; 07-07-2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: typo
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

When these came out in the Cigar boom years, they were all the rage. One liqour store in my area carried the brand and they were going for $12-$18 a stick. I don't think they taste much different now than when I got robbed all those years ago.

MCS
Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Triple E, Too many good cigars out there to keep wasting money on something you're sure you won't enjoy.

Kinda how I've written off Oliva and most Tats. Heresy, I know. But I've wasted too much money trying to enjoy those sticks.

Andrew, thanks for the review, never had a desire to pick one up. Now I won't.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

i've had some bunk puros indios, and some awesome ones
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
O-Danger
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tom
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
O-Danger is on a distinguished road

Last one of these I had was not good :P I have to pitch it. I think I got it in 06...
O-Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

I was tempted to try this one. Seeing that it is reasonably priced, and Resere or Reserva usually denotes something that was special at one time or another. Thanks for saving me $7 for a 5 pack on C bid.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
EEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade06 View Post
Welcome to CA, way to attack a member's post from 8 months ago on your first post... An introduction first would be more approprate.
definitely wasn't meant as an attack, and, like I said - I have been reading a lot of posts here and voiced what trend(s) I have found.

If slamming the door shut after smoking one cigar, and everyone else is ok with that kind of mantra then, well, allllllrighty then.

will go back to staying behind the scenes and just reading. thanks.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
definitely wasn't meant as an attack, and, like I said - I have been reading a lot of posts here and voiced what trend(s) I have found.

If slamming the door shut after smoking one cigar, and everyone else is ok with that kind of mantra then, well, allllllrighty then.

Opinions are just that, one person's opinion, and shouldn't necessarily be used to make a final determination as to your smoking preferences.

They are, however, useful if you know your preferences mirror that of the OP.

Feel free to continue voicing yours, but an introductory post would be the way to go.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Opinions are just that, one person's opinion, and shouldn't necessarily be used to make a final determination as to your smoking preferences.

They are, however, useful if you know your preferences mirror that of the OP.

Feel free to continue voicing yours, but an introductory post would be the way to go.

Hey, EEE. This is generally a pretty friendly forum, one that's tolerant of a wide range of opinions. If you'd let me, I'd like to offer a couple of constructive comments that might be helpful.

First, as several people have noted, it's generally good practice to introduce yourself. Just as you'd introduce yourself to the host and guests at a party at someone's house, you should pop over to the New Inmate Processing forum to say a few words about yourself.

Second, some of the reaction to your post may have had to do with the way you phrased it. Instead of challenging the OP (who's been around for quite a while and is known to many of us) or questioning how he got married, you might have said something like, "I'm sorry you didn't like it. I've smoked these and other Reyes cigars and I've really enjoyed them. You might try [insert favorite]. . . ." If you take a look at a review I posted for a La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial just yesterday, which was lackluster, you'll see that several folks pointed me toward another size in the line. That kind of response is helpful and more respectful of the time I spent posting the review.

Third, there are definitely contingents of vocal fans of particular cigars here in the Asylum. Some people love anything by Pepin, others love Illusiones, others love Olivas. But you don't have to look far to find inmates who don't care much for Olivas, or who think Pepin has overextended himself, or who don't like Dion's methods of marketing.

You shouldn't be shy about expressing your opinions; you might just do it in a way that is more positive and less directed as a criticism. And, just as you wouldn't write off an entire line based on one cigar, don't go back to lurking based upon this experience.

Welcome.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Having you as a passive member was not my intention. From what I've experienced here, all opinions are welcomed. It just struck me as odd that you used your 1st post to generalize the CA members' thoughts and opinions as a whole, by stating "how negative this site is on some manufacturers but are overly positive on others." In fact, you used an older review to support this "trend" that you believe. A "hi I'm from… and I like cigars..." might have been a better 1st post. That's just my opinion and I don't speak for CA as a whole or for anyone else here at CA for that matter. Smoke what you like and read the cigar reviews for what they are… someone's individual opinion concerning what they liked or disliked, and hopefully why.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIrish View Post
Hey, EEE. This is generally a pretty friendly forum, one that's tolerant of a wide range of opinions. If you'd let me, I'd like to offer a couple of constructive comments that might be helpful.

First, as several people have noted, it's generally good practice to introduce yourself. Just as you'd introduce yourself to the host and guests at a party at someone's house, you should pop over to the New Inmate Processing forum to say a few words about yourself.

Second, some of the reaction to your post may have had to do with the way you phrased it. Instead of challenging the OP (who's been around for quite a while and is known to many of us) or questioning how he got married, you might have said something like, "I'm sorry you didn't like it. I've smoked these and other Reyes cigars and I've really enjoyed them. You might try [insert favorite]. . . ." If you take a look at a review I posted for a La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial just yesterday, which was lackluster, you'll see that several folks pointed me toward another size in the line. That kind of response is helpful and more respectful of the time I spent posting the review.

Third, there are definitely contingents of vocal fans of particular cigars here in the Asylum. Some people love anything by Pepin, others love Illusiones, others love Olivas. But you don't have to look far to find inmates who don't care much for Olivas, or who think Pepin has overextended himself, or who don't like Dion's methods of marketing.

You shouldn't be shy about expressing your opinions; you might just do it in a way that is more positive and less directed as a criticism. And, just as you wouldn't write off an entire line based on one cigar, don't go back to lurking based upon this experience.

Welcome.
Well said
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

hello
Old 07-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #15
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I'll take that challenge if you're serious. None of that new "Reyes Family" reinvention of the name stuff though. Rolando Sr. cigars only. I promise to give 10 honest reviews.

P.S. Welcome to Cigar Asylum.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
EEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
I'll take that challenge if you're serious. None of that new "Reyes Family" reinvention of the name stuff though. Rolando Sr. cigars only. I promise to give 10 honest reviews.

P.S. Welcome to Cigar Asylum.
send me your addy via PM. I'll send a 10 spot mix of P.I. stuff with other non P.I. stuff
Old 07-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
send me your addy via PM. I'll send a 10 spot mix of P.I. stuff with other non P.I. stuff

PM sent, bro.

May I have your word as a cigar smoker and a gentleman that the cigars will be truthfully identified after I'm done smoking them?
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #18
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Another trend you must have noticed is that virtually everyone in our community posts an introduction.

Wise words from BlackIrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIrish View Post
as several people have noted, it's generally good practice to introduce yourself. Just as you'd introduce yourself to the host and guests at a party at someone's house, you should pop over to the New Inmate Processing forum to say a few words about yourself.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
EEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
PM sent, bro.

May I have your word as a cigar smoker and a gentleman that the cigars will be truthfully identified after I'm done smoking them?
100%

I may have not made the best first impression but I have been around long enough not to screw with stuff like this. And, if you end up ranking the P.I.'s at the bottom of the list - I can handle it.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #20
SchizoFilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Another trend you must have noticed is that virtually everyone in our community posts an introduction.

Wise words from BlackIrish
.....but why do that when you can shoot from the hip on a zombie thread