Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-31-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough
Default Tatuaje Boris

Ok, so I figured I ought to do a Halloween review of a cigar, and since I just got the “Drac” review done yesterday, I figured why not throw up the review of the “Boris”. I picked up this cigar at my local retailer, with a price point of $12.99 plus tax. The box it comes in is very plain, but a nice looking box nonetheless. After being disappointed in the “Drac”, I wasn’t really sure what to expect from this cigar. Tatuaje’s website says this about the “Boris”:

The Boris (The Frank out of Costume) 7 x 49 Churchill – Wrapper: Sumatra Ecuador Rosado – 1,000 boxes of 10 produced

So, I don’t know if essentially this is a “Frank” with a different band, or if its a different blend. I do seem to recall the “Frank” being quite a bit larger in ring gauge and length, but I could very well be wrong about that, as I’ve never had a “Frank” first hand. Anyhow, on to the review!

Pre-Light: Before I lit this up, I took a good look at it. The first thing I noticed was this particular stick was really well rolled, with very little in the way of veins or any imperfections. I ran this cigar across my nose, and got some of that typical Tatuaje spice, with a little bit of a sweet tobacco smell on the foot. I clipped this cigar with the ever trusty Palio, and lit it up with my Ronson Jetlite.

1/3: As I started in on this cigar, I got a nice blast of spice, typically found in most Tatuaje’s. This was followed immediately after with some pure tobacco flavors, along with some nice sweetness mixed in. The smoke was incredibly thick, and billowed nicely. As I retrohaled on this cigar, I got ALOT of the spice that I was getting on the beginning of this cigar. Not so much spice that it was uncomfortable, but just enough! The burn is really straight on this one at this point, despite it being a bit breezy at the house today. The ash is a nice white/grey color, but it very flakey, and tends to want to fall every 1/2″ or so. That doesn’t really bother me, as I have an ash tray right next to where I am sitting. So far, I am REALLY enjoying this cigar, and it reminds me a little bit of a larger Tatuaje Black Label, just a bit. Not every flavor I am getting is the same, but it does have some of the same nuances.

2/3: As I continued on this cigar, not a whole lot has changed. I am getting a little bit more of that nice straight tobacco flavor, but other than that, this cigar is staying pretty consistent. I am ok with that, because I am really enjoying the flavors I am getting out of this cigar. The ash is still flaking off at about the 1/2″ point every time, and the burn is staying pretty darn straight. At this point, I am seriously wishing I had a box of these to keep around for a while longer, since these are going to be difficult to find shortly.

3/3: At the final third, the typical Tatuaje spice came back, this time full force. The natual tobacco flavors have seemed to diminish a bit, and I am getting mostly spice. It was a nice change, that I wasn’t expecting. The smoke is still coating my mouth nicely, and the finish is fairly short on this cigar. Now I am REALLY kicking myself. I really want a box, but I have no room in the wine-a-dor, and I have no money. Crappy predicament to be in, for sure, but alas, such is life.

Overall Impression: Overall, the “Boris” is hands down one of the best cigars I have ever had the pleasure of smoking. I am very disappointed that I didn’t buy more of these. I recommend these highly, and enjoyed it very much. If you haven’t had the pleasure of smoking this cigar, start running around now to try and find one or 10.

Check out the full review at:
http://www.cigarchoice.net/?p=318
Smoke Em If You Got Em, Buy Em If You Don’t!
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tatuaje Boris Review

Scary review. Thank you!
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

Cool, thanks for the review.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Another fine review!!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
El Fumador
(Opus X Pig)

First Name: Juan
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
El Fumador is on a distinguished road

nice review, haven't had much luck with tatuje, but I'll try.
El Fumador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review. I hope to get my hands on one of these at some point.
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Going to fire one up in a minute. I liked the drac so I must be in the minority on that one.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
alfbacca
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Partagas
alfbacca is on a distinguished road

Got my hands on one of these today and I absolutely loved it! Thanks for the review; I too felt like the flavor was consistent throughout, until about the end when it picked up some more.
alfbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:54 AM   #9
Veritas
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Gregory
Trading: (1)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Veritas is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review, Scott. It seems that the lesser-hyped of the Monsters was the better one for you.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Great review!! Can't wait to try one

aj
RightAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:27 AM   #11
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review, well done.

I have only 2 so I'm not sure when I want to smoke this, might let it sit for a few months. As far as the ring gauge, I believe they are similar but yes the length on the Boris is shorter.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
Norcal_aaron
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (18)
Bolivar
Norcal_aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
Thanks for the review, well done.

I have only 2 so I'm not sure when I want to smoke this, might let it sit for a few months. As far as the ring gauge, I believe they are similar but yes the length on the Boris is shorter.
Boris has a smaller ring gauge, guess Frank is a lil more blessed then Boris.
Norcal_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #13
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_aaron View Post
Boris has a smaller ring gauge, guess Frank is a lil more blessed then Boris.
Yeah, Frank was a DC where Boris is a Churchill.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:12 AM   #14
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I got a box today....
Old 11-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
covetry

Interesting review. I usually tend to stay away from cigars this full of spice... so I will probably pass on this one. Thank you for saving me the 12 bucks!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

I haven't tried one yet but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! The smell of these things when I cracked open the box was incredible!
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #17
Wanger

Default Re: Tatuaje Boris

Had my first one last night and LOVED it. Consistent from start to finish, and the flavor picked up at the end.

As for flavors, I picked up spice with a little sweetness, and a touch of wood and leather.

If anyone decides to get rid of a few of these, I'm interested!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #18
Uflbassin

Didn't even know about these, will have to try to get my hands on a few. Thanks for the great review, Tats are
Old 02-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #19
yes please

I guess these are different from the "series P" which are also white label. I really enjoyed the series P.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #20
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yes please View Post
I guess these are different from the "series P" which are also white label. I really enjoyed the series P.
Very, very different. These are a part of the very limited Halloween releases.