Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Illusione Epernay Le Petit

Just tried this cigar today. Cigar was purchased at West Coast Cigars in San Jose. The Best shop in San Jose area. Staff and regulars.
I figured I should do a review as the other thread I found on this stick was different from mine. Stick was paired with a Dr. Pepper. My understanding of this stick was that it was designed for the European Market.

The beginning of this stick was far from Dions usual sticks. The stick was mild and sweet in the first inch. There was even a twang reminded me of the CC twang many of us love. I discussed this with somone else who smokes CCs and they also noticed the twang in the first inch. Not his usual in your face spice bombs.

About here the flavors became more traditional Nic Illusione

That said they were more subtle then say the mk and with a slight sweetness still. As the cigar progressed the sweetness faded and the cigar reminded me more and more of a traditional illusione just softer and cleaner.

The last 1.5 inch reminded me more of an mk but just turned down a touch. The cigar smoked perfect with a lot of smoke. The ash was not as strong as you would expect and was a mix of grey and white. I smoked this stick till my fingers and lips could take no more. I have never smoked an illusione to this point or any NC outside of a Padron 80th.

I cant recommend this stick enough. I love CC's and know this is more of a CC board as evidenced by the CC section listing vendors and this section is more of a big pot. While I find myself smoking fewer and fewer NCs these days, this stick was very very good. I definetly prefer it to some PC from some CC manufacturers. Full flavor but never overpowering. Not to strong of a dose of nicotine either.

If you get a chance to smoke this stick dont pass it up. The 50 cabs make it a little tough to buy a box. Thats my only gripe.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Illusione Epernay Le Petit

I have heard good things about these, thanks for the review!

BTW I think you mean CC marcas being listed not vendors
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Very nice review Brother!!!

What is the vitola of this one???

This is the first I have heard of these!!! Can't wait to try one!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

You are correct Al sorry for the brain fart. Actually wrote the review at work in the car on my laptop. bwhahahahahah.

Darrell the Le Petit is his PC. I think I remember you enjoying the Eccj right? If so I really think you will like this stick. They had two different Vitolas at WC. The PC and I think Le Ferme - Robusto Extra. The impression I got from Mikey was the PC was better. I cant argue with him after smoking it.

Found this online
"This blend originally debuted in 2008 through the e c c j 15th limited release*.From this blend, Epernay has been made into four unique and exciting sizes with a combination of Criollo and Corojo tobaccos. The cigar is finished with a superior-grade Café Rosado coverleaf. The Epernay blend is very complex and perfectly balanced treating the palate to hints of coffee and honey, further enhanced through the olfactory with floral notes, and a creamy finish."

I have had the eccj. This seemed different then the eccj I had. I really liked it more. PM me the addy I lost it. I will send you one to try. Going by West Coast again sunday night.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
Darrell

I am finishing the biggest one, it's almost a Corona Gorda. It's very good.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Just tried this cigar today. Cigar was purchased at West Coast Cigars in San Jose. The Best shop in San Jose area. Staff and regulars.
I figured I should do a review as the other thread I found on this stick was different from mine. Stick was paired with a Dr. Pepper. My understanding of this stick was that it was designed for the European Market.

The beginning of this stick was far from Dions usual sticks. The stick was mild and sweet in the first inch. There was even a twang reminded me of the CC twang many of us love. I discussed this with somone else who smokes CCs and they also noticed the twang in the first inch. Not his usual in your face spice bombs.

About here the flavors became more traditional Nic Illusione

That said they were more subtle then say the mk and with a slight sweetness still. As the cigar progressed the sweetness faded and the cigar reminded me more and more of a traditional illusione just softer and cleaner.

The last 1.5 inch reminded me more of an mk but just turned down a touch. The cigar smoked perfect with a lot of smoke. The ash was not as strong as you would expect and was a mix of grey and white. I smoked this stick till my fingers and lips could take no more. I have never smoked an illusione to this point or any NC outside of a Padron 80th.

I cant recommend this stick enough. I love CC's and know this is more of a CC board as evidenced by the CC section listing vendors and this section is more of a big pot. While I find myself smoking fewer and fewer NCs these days, this stick was very very good. I definetly prefer it to some PC from some CC manufacturers. Full flavor but never overpowering. Not to strong of a dose of nicotine either.

If you get a chance to smoke this stick dont pass it up. The 50 cabs make it a little tough to buy a box. Thats my only gripe.
Thanks for increasing my credit card balance! I'll have to buy these, now! Sounds like my kind of smoke!: Thanks for the review!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
vudu9
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
vudu9 is on a distinguished road

WOW. Nice
vudu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
AllOGistics

Sounds like a great smoke! I haven't heard of these before, but I'll sure be on the lookout. Thanks for the review
Old 04-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

This sounds like an amazing cigar --thanks for the review! I haven't seen them around my B&Ms but will definitely be on the look out. Would love to try one, I love everything I've tried in the illusione line.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
Skywalker
BABOTL

Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I am finishing the biggest one, it's almost a Corona Gorda. It's very good.
They come in different sizes???!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
They come in different sizes???!!!
No, I made that up.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #12
Skywalker
BABOTL

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
No, I made that up.

Smoke what you like!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Having spoke to kevin last night who has had both along with mikey, both agreed the Le Petit is the way to go on these of the ones we have sampled.

Going by WC tonight and debating having another.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

I can't wait for these... I just had an eccj last night and absolutely love it, along with the cg4 and his house blend... mmmm
Old 05-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #15
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

I had one of these today. I really enjoyed it and ordered 10 more as I had only picked up 2 to try. The shop I picked them up in is 60 miles from here, so I couldn't just dash out and snag them. It was also reminiscent of CC's I had smoked in the past.
Superbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

just bought another one lastnight.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #17
jimmyk26
Jimmy Jim

First Name: Kings of Leon
Trading: (32)
HUpmann
jimmyk26 will become famous soon enough

Are you still smoking the Le Petit or are you smoking other sizes as well?
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I really like the MK, so I will have to give this one a try! Thanks for the review!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #19
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk26 View Post
Are you still smoking the Le Petit or are you smoking other sizes as well?
I am also smoking the elegance now a lot.
I seem to be hitting these about once a week. They are still one of my favorites.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #20
alwayslit
Welcome to the madness

First Name: Jim
Trading: (14)
RA
alwayslit is on a distinguished road

They don't suck......nice review.
alwayslit is offline   Reply With Quote