Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #141
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mac's Apple Pie Shine

Just finished up my first batch today. Has anyone used apple cider that has not been pasteurized? I got some from a local orchard like that. I brought it to a boil and let it sit out over night to cool. I have a weird paranoia of making people sick from something I make. I just want to make sure that bring it to a boil i will be good.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #142
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by big a View Post
Just finished up my first batch today. Has anyone used apple cider that has not been pasteurized? I got some from a local orchard like that. I brought it to a boil and let it sit out over night to cool. I have a weird paranoia of making people sick from something I make. I just want to make sure that bring it to a boil i will be good.
Boiling it will be fine.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #143
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Boiling it will be fine.
Thanks Mac! What kind of shelf life do u get out of this drink if stored in the frig?
Old 12-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #144
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by big a View Post
Thanks Mac! What kind of shelf life do u get out of this drink if stored in the frig?
I've had some keep as long as 4-5 months in the fridge...the problem is getting it to last that long.

Only issue with storing in the fridge, is the sentiment that settles at the bottom of the jar...but after shakikng vigorously...problem solved.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #145
proguy747
Hey hurry up!

First Name: Marc
Trading: (1)
proguy747 is on a distinguished road

Anyone try soaking the sticks in the everclear yet?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #146
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by proguy747 View Post
Anyone try soaking the sticks in the everclear yet?
nope... I was in a rush on my last batch and didn't have time.. thanks for the reminder I think I'll start some soaking RIGHT NOW. Need to make another batch in a few weeks anyway...
Old 05-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #147
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Down to one jar...time for a new batch.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #148
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

last batch I tried I started making with Cider, but discovered that the only cider available for me to buy in my area tasted like @$$, weak, watery, etc.

I found that this worked as a "passable" substitute - not on par with the batch I made in the fall (with fresh cider), but far superior to the batch made with the poor cider available. Same general 1:1 ratios as before, just use this instead of the cigar part.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #149
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Im gonna need to try this
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #150
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
just use this instead of the cigar part.

Are there cigars in the Apple Pie Shine?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #151
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Seems Francis has been drinking too much of the 'shine.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #152
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

yeah, I discovered that about 1/2 a cup of watermelon blunts per 2 gallons, finely ground up in a blender or coffee grinder, really serves to expand the character of the shine
Old 09-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #153
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Just finished up two batches for Doms herf next week...ended up with 17 quarts (as I always keep a quart for my own personal consumption). Now to make some new labels for the herf.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #154
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

That's a good time waiting to happen
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #155
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Wow that looks awesome Mac! Wanna do some trading?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #156
squishy
I am right behind you

First Name: Eric
Trading: (2)
squishy is on a distinguished road

I can only hope its as good as the shine I got up in the backwoods of NC. Shine plus apple juice, half an apple and a stick of cinnamon got you pie shine up there. I wanna try some
Old 09-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #157
big pete
Going to the darkside....

PL
big pete will become famous soon enoughbig pete will become famous soon enough

I love apple pie. I'll have to make a batch for turkeyday dinner. Thanks for the recipe Mac!
big pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #158
KWevvy975

What's this almost talk? I would definitely drink it from anywhere on Eva Mendez's body. Had this drink once before but I don't think it was made the same way. I'm interested to see how much better this one comes out. There's obviously going to be variations but I'm looking for the same results....tasty and tipsy.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #159
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Current version of the recipe that I have been using is included below...

Mac's Applie Pie 'Shine
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time 45 minutes

Ingredients:
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon apple cider (make sure to get a legit cider, no value stuff. It makes for a better product.)
1.5 cups white sugar
1.5 cups brown sugar
1.5 tablespoons of Vanilla Extract
8 cinnamon sticks (again, get a legit brand. Spend the extra cash. McCormicks are perfect)
1.5 (750 milliliter) bottles 190 proof Everclear grain alcohol
8 shots of Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka

Directions:
In a large pot, combine apple juice, apple cider, sugar, vanilla extract and eight cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool completely (overnight preferred). When juice mixture is cool, Stir in the grain alcohol and and vodka, then place in jars.

Store in fridge. Before serving, shake the jar (cinnamon residue will sink to the bottom), pour in a cup of ice, and drink up!!

As for shelf life, I've stored this stuff in the fridge for over a year, shook it up and still tastes delicious.

Enjoy!!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #160
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Current version of the recipe that I have been using is included below...

Mac's Applie Pie 'Shine
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time 45 minutes

Ingredients:
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon apple cider (make sure to get a legit cider, no value stuff. It makes for a better product.)
1.5 cups white sugar
1.5 cups brown sugar
1.5 tablespoons of Vanilla Extract
8 cinnamon sticks (again, get a legit brand. Spend the extra cash. McCormicks are perfect)
1.5 (750 milliliter) bottles 190 proof Everclear grain alcohol
8 shots of Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka

Directions:
In a large pot, combine apple juice, apple cider, sugar, vanilla extract and eight cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool completely (overnight preferred). When juice mixture is cool, Stir in the grain alcohol and and vodka, then place in jars.

Store in fridge. Before serving, shake the jar (cinnamon residue will sink to the bottom), pour in a cup of ice, and drink up!!

As for shelf life, I've stored this stuff in the fridge for over a year, shook it up and still tastes delicious.

Enjoy!!
This sounds really good!
Have you thought of getting rid of the vanilla extract and using real vanilla bean paste---I wouldn't cook it but mix it with a little of the Everclear to thin it into a liquid and then mix it in. I think 2 sticks would be good to start.
Should give another boost to the depth of flavor.