Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 01-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #21
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Definition of "Tongue bite"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blendtobac View Post
Leathertongue and tongue burn are the same thing. The reason we need to define the difference between the two is that I get a number of calls and emails asking for help with these problems, and if I can't determine what the source of the difficulty is, I can't properly advise people how to deal with it. I can tell you that, going back to the seventies, the difference between the two was generally understood, but back then, you were more likely to know a number of pipe smokers who could clarify things.

Russ
If they are the same, is there a difference between them? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy your articles, but that quote threw me for a loop. It seems now you are trying to define 2 types of tongue bite-1) one stemming from the way the tobacco itself burns (burns hot, which in turn burns the tongue) and 2) one stemming from a reaction of the tongue and palette resulting from a chemical reaction in the pipe smokers mouth (difference in pH, for ex.) Both of which have different remedies to alleviate them.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #22
blendtobac
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
blendtobac is on a distinguished road

A number of people have started to use the term leathertongue to describe a burned tongue to make it clear as to the cause of discomfort. I've never used "tongue bite" to refer to a burned tongue, only to the discomfort caused by sensitivity to alkalinity, and the older pipe smokers I've known (meaning that they're older than me) seem to differentiate between the two as well. Maybe it's a regional term, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Russ
blendtobac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blendtobac View Post
A number of people have started to use the term leathertongue to describe a burned tongue to make it clear as to the cause of discomfort. I've never used "tongue bite" to refer to a burned tongue, only to the discomfort caused by sensitivity to alkalinity, and the older pipe smokers I've known (meaning that they're older than me) seem to differentiate between the two as well. Maybe it's a regional term, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Russ
Thanks for the clarification! I appreciate your responses.