Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #121
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Mac's Apple Pie Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
thanks mac

I'll do a little playing around, see what I come up with. And then again, sometimes things can't be improved upon

Got the idea of soaking the cinnamon sticks from when I made limoncello. have to soak the lemon zest in everclear for 2 weeks minimum... 3+ months if you want a reallllly smooth product.

Beyond that I have no experience with moonshining, so maybe it wouldnt work at all with the cinnamon!

I've got a little time to soak it if i start now, since I won't be able to get the vodka until Dec 10
Here's what I did with Mac's recipe. Cut everything in half except the alcohol. I find it's just fine, still very tasty but it has a bit more of a kick.

Maybe a bit too weak for my tastes but it all depends on the person.

I'll make a third batch and tweak it a bit more, we'll see.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #122
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

wow that is a lot of everclear I am sure it taste OK long as you do not drink to much that stuff kills people.
just that 1 gallon I made put my wife and her friend to bed before 9pm.
I would say it might need a little more not sure about double it would be bad for those of us who don't know
when to stop unless your like my uncle and drink it strait
Old 11-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #123
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

My brother (kneedragger) is in town this week and we're making some apple pie shine tomorrow. gonna be a good week.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #124
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
wow that is a lot of everclear I am sure it taste OK long as you do not drink to much that stuff kills people.
I would say it might need a little more not sure about double it would be bad for those of us who don't know
Only real danger of everclear is how high the alcohol content can be (hidden) in something. A bit of juice and you don't really taste it or realize how much (dangerously) you are drinking.

Everything is relative. There's much more juice and cider in it - to be exact, 83% of the recipe is non-alcoholic. That's more than enough to cut the everclear way down, all the way to around 13% abv, that's wine territory! double the everclear and you nearly double the ABV to around 25%. how safe is it at 25%? mmm, that's a good question, depends largely how smooth it is! I could easily drink a few quarts of the original before I realized how much i had consumed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
My brother (kneedragger) is in town this week and we're making some apple pie shine tomorrow. gonna be a good week.
I'm heading to the grocery store tonight to pick up some supplies. Probably make a 1/3 or 1/4 sized batch. enough for a nice glass of thanksgiving joy, and also small enough to play with the ratios a little bit. Only have about 1L of everclear on hand right now.... need to make a supply run sometime.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #125
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
I believe my last batch was ~23% ABV. So really not that bad. I'll be going up to around 28-30% for this third batch I make in about a month or so.

I intend on finding the ideal ABV-Taste ratio for myself.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #126
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I intend on finding the ideal ABV-Taste ratio for myself.
I think that's the key. Going to be a different number for different people. Some want to drink a little and feel buzzed... others want to drunk of it liberally without fear of a hangover.

And of course, some folks can hold a lot more than others
Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #127
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
That's cause you're slow Ritchie. Put some out Friday night and some more out Saturday morning. Might have to come up with a better "ration plan" for next year.
Why you gotta make fun of an old man?
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #128
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Why you gotta make fun of an old man?
I can see I'm gonna have to "stash" a jar for you next year.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #129
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I can see I'm gonna have to "stash" a jar for you next year.
Oh boy?

rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #130
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

if things go as planed I should be going to md to get some everclear Wednesday I hope and make a batch for thanks giving
Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #131
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Might be time to make another batch myself...down to three quarts in the fridge.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #132
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
if things go as planed I should be going to md to get some everclear Wednesday I hope and make a batch for thanks giving
remember, its gotta cool down. may want to cook the cider today so you can mix it tomorrow
Old 12-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #133
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Just found a bottle of the whipped cream vodka, now I can brew a "true" batch
Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #134
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Just found a bottle of the whipped cream vodka, now I can brew a "true" batch
Do they have it at The Party Source? I forgot to look yesterday.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #135
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Do they have it at The Party Source? I forgot to look yesterday.
Yes.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #136
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Going to the store to grab some cider and cinnamon sticks...gotta make me a batch for the holiday season.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #137
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Yes.
$17.99 for a 1.75
$9.99 for a 750
Old 12-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #138
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I paid $15 each for 2 750s of 190 proof Everclear today. When I was in high school (I mean Grad School), this stuff cost $6.99 a bottle. Anyway. I used a gallon of cider and 3/4 of a gallon of juice, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar and 10 cinnamon sticks. It finished boiling 2 hours ago and I'll let it cool until tomorrow morning. I will use the entire two bottles of everclear so I assume I will be approaching 20 ABV. Now to find something big enough to mix it in. The house smells lovely.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #139
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I also removed the sticks after taking it off the heat. Not sure if that was a good play as there is still plenty of cinnamon residue in there but it still tastes and smells like apple pie with vanilla ice cream (the alcohol is not in it yet)
Old 12-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #140
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar

Finishing up the second gallon we made, thanks for the recipe (sp) it was awesome!