Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
Dgar

Default Newbies experience so far

So far I've been enjoying my second try with the pipes.

I'm trying a few different bulk tobaccos from the Tinderbox. So far I'd say my taste in pipe tobacco is completley different from cigars, It seems the sweeter pipe tobbacos are the more what I like for now. The guy from the tinderbox recommended a blended non-aromatic it was my first. It had a smokey taste to it, it was okay, not bad at all... but I think I'm still leaning more towards the sweeter aromatics, so different from cigars, I never smoke the flavored cigars. Sort of a nice change of pace.

I just bout 4oz of Devils Holiday, (looking forward to lighting a bowl here in just a minute) this seems to be my favorite so far. This is the first tobacco I've liked enough to buy more of.... and today the B/M told me they though it had been discotinued my luck. I may have to look online for more.

If you've tried Devils holiday, and think there might be a similar blend a newbie looking for a sweet tobacco would enjoy, I'd appreciate the recomendation.

I'm fighting the need/want to buy a really "cool" pipe, looking cool counts to me, but for now until I know this is something I'm going to stick to. My cob and briar will do for now, I smoke one pipe, then the other pipe the next day, this lets each one rest one day.

What do you think do I need more than 2 pipes for starting out, there sure are some pretty briars out there, and the meers they sure have my curiosity peaked...

anyway just a newbie rambling.

Last edited by Dgar; 10-21-2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: my bad grammar
Old 10-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
petewho

Default Re: Newbies experience so far

I'm also fighting the urge to buy. I did it with cigars and have ended up with more otterboxes and bad lighters than I really ever needed. This time I'm going to wait...

Still have never smoked a pipe, but I have a gift inbound from a fellow gorilla (er, inmate) and I'll pick up a cob once the package arrives.

-Pete
Old 10-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

I've been at this for about 12 days, and I've smoked a cob, briar, and meer

the cob is my least favorite of the three kinds. my recommendation would be to pick up a cheap briar or meer (if possible). I think you'll get a better gauge of what the tobacco really tastes like. That's just my total noob opinion, but I haven't really liked cob smoking. That said, I was gifted one, and I'm headed outback to try it out
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
beatnik

I just got a tin of devils holiday and its too much berry for me shoot me a pm! (i dont have it in a tin any more as i keep my pipe tobacco in mason jars, I feel like i am a little girl but its effing hard to open those tins) Ive smoked a few bowls but thats all if you want to trade that would be even cooler.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Dgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnik View Post
I just got a tin of devils holiday and its too much berry for me shoot me a pm!
It"s very berry but I like it, or did I like the smell ?? I think the berry smell is why I tried it, I think its light or a little thin after smoking a couple bowls, see.. I dont know what I'm talking about, but the aroma is stronger than the flavor...both are nice I just wanted more substance. It's good just a light smoke, nothing wrong with that.