Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation
Default Washer and Dryer Help

Looking for input from you guys. I'm looking at a new washer and dryer, but the more I read and try to learn the more confused I get (by online reviews) and kind of get the, these things are more complicated than they need to be with all the various cycles.

I was looking at an LG set model WT5070CW which is highly rated by consumer reports and on sale at Sears. But the washers seem very finicky to the way you load them, very sensitive to unbalanced loads. By the online reviews it says the washing machine is rough on the clothes ripping and tangling them up also not washing the clothes very well. This seems to be the commonality between all the top loading high efficiency washers, from the reviews that I have read.

I wouldn't mind going to a front loading if the above problems are reduced, but dang it if they don't cost $300 or more then a top loading. Even on sale this past weekend, most I saw were still in the $1000 range . I know of the possible smell that can come from a front loader but my main fear is a gasket failure causing major water leaks from the door.

Also are the extended warranty's worth it? I've had my washer and dryer for close to 10 some-odd years not a hiccup and now the washer is acting up; Way past what the extended warranty would cover and the cost of the extended plan is half of what the cost of the machines would be. I've tightened everything I could and could probably just get a repair man out here, but willing to bite the bullet on a new set just for the energy and water saving benefit.

I'm open to various brands but cost will be a major factor. Right now I'm looking at a little under $750 per washer/dryer plus a rebate of $100 so that brings them down to $700 per before taxes.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Washer and Dryer Help

We've had a front loading Maytag washer and dryer since 1999, Greg. We notice a lower water use and less soap for the HE washer and the dryer seems to dry more quickly, but we have no information on electrical use.

The fact that there is less wear and tear on the clothes makes us quite happy. We do not buy extended warranties as we have never found a need; although some others have found them valuable.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I have to do the washer/dryer struggle, I head to the Maytag place and get a front loading washer and plain old dryer. I get the good ones, and they last and last and last, trouble free.
I know they have all kinds of crazy stuff now, with steam and no water usage, and on and on, but where washers and dryers go, simple is best. I used to fix them when I was a kid, and still fix my own stuff if there's ever a problem.
I'd suggest to anyone to buy Maytag from a real Maytag dealer. And skip the extended warranties, like Mark said. And get stainless steel hoses for the washer.
It's just been easy for me that way. Simple.
Good Luck, Greg!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
We've had a front loading Maytag washer and dryer since 1999, Greg. We notice a lower water use and less soap for the HE washer and the dryer seems to dry more quickly, but we have no information on electrical use.

The fact that there is less wear and tear on the clothes makes us quite happy. We do not buy extended warranties as we have never found a need; although some others have found them valuable.
What he says, but we have had the GE version for at least 5 years with no problems. We do leave the door open after a load as it can smell pretty bad after a few days of being closed up. My wife says it is much gentler on clothes than our previous top loader and I can vouch for the fact I no longer lose buttons off my shirts. We think it cleans better as well.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
What he says, but we have had the GE version for at least 5 years with no problems. We do leave the door open after a load as it can smell pretty bad after a few days of being closed up. My wife says it is much gentler on clothes than our previous top loader and I can vouch for the fact I no longer lose buttons off my shirts. We think it cleans better as well.

X 3 - but have Whirlpool(9-10 years ish)
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Be sure to check with your local utility. Many have programs of buy-backs and rebates to get customers to switch to more energy efficient appliances. They are paid for by the conservation fee on your bill.
I got a 100 bucks for an old 'fridge and 2 grand worth of free insulation from my electric company. The federal gov't sometimes has these programs as well.
Good Luck.

On Thursday a federally funded appliance buy-back program starts in CA. Check out http://www.cash4appliances.org/

Last edited by Tio Gato; 12-03-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Added a link
Tio Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Opps the link I just added above is old sorry 'bout that.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the all the input! I looked at home depot and they have Maytag front loader on sale for $699, sale lasts till tonight so I have some time to think on it

Oh and these things are hurt your back short. Marie said it was fine for her she's 5" 2" , I'm 6' 2" and my belly is in the way so I guess I'm going to have to add the stands
Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Oh and these things are hurt your back short. Marie said it was fine for her she's 5" 2" , I'm 6' 2" and my belly is in the way so I guess I'm going to have to add the stands
two words: knee pads
Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
two words: knee pads
We bought the stands, but never use the storage drawers that are in them. Maybe I should hide my Xmas gifts in them.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess I'm going to have to add the stands
For what they get for those metal box drawers, you could make some beautiful pedestals and have enough left for a couple boxes of cigars.
You could sit the machines on cement blocks and put a skirt around the bottom, and revel in the fact that you beat The Man.
Just thinking out loud, brother. Hate to see anyone get ganked 200 bucks for those things. Maybe they've gone down, but it was 400 or 500 bucks for a pair the last time I saw them. Ouch.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

I delivered appliances and was the delivery manager for Lowes for 11 years up until this spring. I would not ever never ever buy a front load. If you want a HE that won't break your bank or back, go with a Whirlpool Cabrio. They are cheaper than the front loaders (unless if you get the platinum model). I have seen a ton of people go back to the "traditional" style of W/D because of either repair costs or tired of bending down or the seals leaking or the seals going out and clothes catching on the door. Yes, you can make pedistals, but make sure they are sturdy enough to hold 200# or more. I've seen people build their own and they fall apart or the machine comes off of them bc they didn't balance or bolt them down.

If looks don't matter, I'd get a "nice" washer and a simple dryer. Save the $$. A dryer is nothing but that; a dryer. I don't think steam makes too much of a difference for me to spend the extra cash on. Typically, your dryer lasts a third or more longer than a washer... because they are simple. Once you add steam and more useless bells and whistles you won't use..... you basically paid high dollar for a basic dryer.

Extended warranties are worth it!!
Lowes & HD have a week warranty within the store. After that, you have to deal with outside contracted repair people. One motor or transmission goes out, there is the price of the extended warranty.

BTW since about 2006, Whirlpool has owned Maytag and the quality has digressed a bit on them. "They don't make them like they used to". But the mid lined Whirlpools are good.

I have a GE set that's working on 6years.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for all the input again. I did go with the Maytag and they will be here Saturday.

A few more question, I know that you have to use HE detergent but do you have to use a HE fabric softener (if there is one)? Can you use stuff like oxyclean or borax in them? And can I still use my dryer sheets?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

We use HE detergent sometimes, but I don't think we have to, and I don't think ours is an HE washer. I don't even know what HE is, but I have seen it on stuff.
We use oxyclean and regular downy, too.
Our washer uses hardly any water at all, and it spins the clothes so they're almost dry, and when they hit the dryer, it takes no time at all to dry them.
It still amazes me, sometimes. I wash these great big furniture moving pads that I use for the dog's bed. They're huge. They come out barely damp, and dry in 10 minutes.

See what your paperwork says about the "HE" detergent and stuff. I'd be surprised if it matters.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

HE detergent is supposed to work with the lower water lever of an HE washer. Basically, it suds up with lesser water. I am pretty sure you can still use dryer sheets.

Oxyclean and borax shouldn't hurt them. But I would read the labels just to be safe. I don't think there is such a thing as a HE fabric softener though.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for all the input again. I did go with the Maytag and they will be here Saturday.

A few more question, I know that you have to use HE detergent but do you have to use a HE fabric softener (if there is one)? Can you use stuff like oxyclean or borax in them? And can I still use my dryer sheets?
We've got a Kenmore washer and dryer set that's been going on six years. We do cloth diapers on the kids and my wife has been using borax and oxyclean on them for the last three years. No problems at all with the washer. Use dryer sheets with every load of regular clothes we dry. No problems there either.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
HE detergent is supposed to work with the lower water lever of an HE washer. Basically, it suds up with lesser water.
Not exactly. It's designed to clean with less water, which is a big difference than suds. HE detergent is designed to be lower foaming than regular soap, so it actually "suds up" less, allowing it to be rinsed out of the clothes with less water required.

Quote:

Borax and Oxyclean are both HE compatible. I think there are HE specific fabric softeners, usually there is a separate area where you add them and the machine will dispense them during the appropriate part of the cycle. Dryer sheets shouldn't be an issue.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote