Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default It is official...

... I am old.

Today, I removed 24 feet of sod, 4 feet wide, and laid patio brick for a sidewalk. Looks good, I enjoyed doing the work. It was fun to do.

Now, I am sore - sore like I have never been in a long time.

I know I could lose 20 pounds, and be in better shape. I know I work a mentally stressful and intense job, not doing a whole lot of manual labor, but today was an eye opener.

I used to work 40 hours a week, manual labor and was a full-time student. I could take a shower and be fresh as a daisy. Not today!

I do yard work and stuff. I get out and do a lot of wading (fishing in the streams) when I have time. But I need to do more.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: It is official...

That's more than I could have done that is for sure. I get winded playing wiffle ball with my girls.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
That's more than I could have done that is for sure. I get winded playing wiffle ball with my girls.
It was an a solid 8 hours of work.

I hauled all the stuff dug out by wheel barrow, dumped it a 1/2 block away over the hill into the swamp. Made 22 trips. My back and shoulders feel it now. I made the loads big so I had to make fewer trips - may not have been a wise choice - muscles ache.

Trying to mollify them with a stiff Vodka tonic. If the mosquitos weren't so bad, I'd go sit outside with a cigar too.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Reminds me when I used to work as a farmhand on a sod farm. Talk about intense workouts. The young wipper snappers of today don't know what hard work really is/was.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
dccraft

I feel for you Rev. Wheelbarrowed about 7 yards of topsoil a couple of weekends ago and boy I felt my age when that was done. Let's just say I was intimate with the ibuprofen bottle for a couple of days
Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 AM   #6
adampc22

when i was morking as a door man in a night club i had to throw a sod out of the door i was nackerd after that to lol

(u probley wont get what u just said there i will explain if u want me to ) he he he
Old 05-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
Reminds me when I used to work as a farmhand on a sod farm. Talk about intense workouts. The young wipper snappers of today don't know what hard work really is/was.
Ok, I can't let this pass. You, Andrew referring to "young wipper snappers?". How old are you, eleven??

Old 05-05-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Problem is, I don't consider 47 to be all that old. I think it is my job which has made my hands soft. Not much call for the use of back, leg, and arm muscles when doing Pastoral care.

Used to do much of the landscape work at a private golf course in Green Bay, as part of the grounds crew for the course. Was also involved in digging up and fixing sprinkler system pipes when they broke.

No stranger to back-breaking work, just been a long time.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Get half way done and the kids are playing and that looks a whole lot more fun.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #10
BC-Axeman

If you keep doing it every day you will get used to it.
The muscles will be great. Then the joints start to wear out.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

You are old because you did not come to this conclusion before digging up 24 ft! I would have told you that after the first 3ft!
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Sorry Rev... 47 is almost half a century!

Sometimes it is a combination of the years and the mileage. Better check the blue-book on you.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
Ok, I can't let this pass. You, Andrew referring to "young wipper snappers?". How old are you, eleven??

Hey I may be approaching 28 but being the occupation I chose I see these young kids and all they want is things given to them. If not they will take it and not work for it. Of course I think that the parents have much to do with this.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #14
Lensjockie

Age 36
Saturday- 8 hours of tilling and shrub moving
Sunday- 4 hours or weeding and raking
Monday- 12 hours of whinning about how everything hurt.
Tuesday- Still *****ing
Moral of the story less time on the couch and more doing anything else.
We all get there add two kids, wife, dog, fulltime job, and a house.
By the time you gaet a chance to work out it is time to go to bed.
Try walking for 20 minutes in the morning , noon, and before you go to bed.
It's working for me, and the no beer during the week helps the waistline.
Just not my mood...
Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #15
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Hey I may be approaching 28 but being the occupation I chose I see these young kids and all they want is things given to them. If not they will take it and not work for it. Of course I think that the parents have much to do with this.
I'm sure you see do some of the cream of the crop But I'm thinking you call them something other than 'young wipper snappers'
Old 05-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #16
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
I'm sure you see do some of the cream of the crop But I'm thinking you call them something other than 'young wipper snappers'
You are correct sir. I won't say what I call them as this is a family site.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #17
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Problem is, I don't consider 47 to be all that old. I think it is my job which has made my hands soft. Not much call for the use of back, leg, and arm muscles when doing Pastoral care.

Used to do much of the landscape work at a private golf course in Green Bay, as part of the grounds crew for the course. Was also involved in digging up and fixing sprinkler system pipes when they broke.

No stranger to back-breaking work, just been a long time.
Rev, I'm sure you do some heavy lifting in your work.

I get winded just reaching for the remote control.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #18
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

summer is almost here... I could be up for some fishing, Rev
Old 05-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #19
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
Sorry Rev... 47 is almost half a century!

Sometimes it is a combination of the years and the mileage. Better check the blue-book on you.
Hey I resemble that remark.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #20
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier View Post
Rev, I'm sure you do some heavy lifting in your work.
Yes, but the heavy lifting is done by Christ. Mine is all mental.