Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #2261
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Photography Thread

Still life, lol. Its no bowl of fruit, but there IS GRAIN in there, I guess. That your new camera and lens?

Justin, I love the shots of the dog, I like to see motion stopped like that, and the shiny coat really comes through.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #2262
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Still life, lol. Its no bowl of fruit, but there IS GRAIN in there, I guess. That your new camera and lens?

Justin, I love the shots of the dog, I like to see motion stopped like that, and the shiny coat really comes through.

Yep, right around the limit of depth of field, with fluroescent light. I calibrated the white balance and the colers came out really nice. Kinda blurry at that one part where the bottle curves around, though at the bottom.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #2263
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

But you are testing and messing, and that's what counts here at the ole Photography Thread.
Round these parts we don't cotton to folks leavin' their cameras in a sack. We want ACTION, babay.

With that said, I am sorry that I left mine in the car after lunch. I wanted to shoot this new Little
Caesar's " Deep!Deep! dish pizza. It's more of a thick crust, with the ingredients you SHOULD be getting
on your hot and ready pizzas now but aren't. So for $3.00 more for a hot and ready, next time I will
pass. If the crust was thick and fried and greasy like Pizza Hut's, I would almost let it slide. ANd hey,
for $8.00, I GUESS its not BAD. But the deepest thing about this is the crust. I was drooling thinking
about this being like I consider a deep dish pizza to be. Not today.

Last edited by OLS; 04-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #2264
OLS
Suck It

Ehh, what the hell am I SAYING....just because I don't have MY camera in the bldg, THIS IS a
media department, I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a media tool. Cheapie lil Samsung
compact camera works good enough for this test.

You get a double pizza box, with 8 thick slices of pizza, you can tell by the pepperoni how big
they are in relative terms. The way they are cut, they even LOOK like a good deep dish pizza.
But that's as far as it goes. Once you bite it, you can peel pack the cheese a bit and see this
thing is 4/5 crust and 1/5 stuff. For $8.00, ehh, OK, maybe. But if you are expecting a meal in
a slice, it ain't happenin'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC15300.jpg (65.0 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15301.jpg (49.8 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15307.jpg (43.1 KB, 223 views)
Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #2265
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Ok my funny sign assignment. I know it's lame but it's all I could find lol

IMG_3439 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 04-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #2266
OLS
Suck It

What? That's absolUTE-ly funny. I mean, unless you are chinese and easily offended.
I like that more than mine, which was merely slightly humorous.
I guess Shark is not playing this week. Unless his beer label is to be construed as humorous.
Next week....well, I was gonna say "angry dogs", but your pic was funnier, you can pick the
theme for next week.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #2267
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Ok. Let me think about it. The following week I'll be on a cruise and won't be back til that Thursday. So let's make that week's due on Friday.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #2268
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Took these today while at my grandparents' house cutting their grass. NAS Jax is not far from their house, thus the P3 Orion.

IMG_3427 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

This guy was in the tree when I was about to leave there.

IMG_3433 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 04-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #2269
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I like this one much better:

Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #2270
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Just ordered a nikon 50mm 1.8 for an upcoming trip. Going to be shooting with lots of water around so I picked up a circular polarizer as well. Any of you guys have tips on shooting with a polarizer on? Did I waste $20?
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #2271
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
Just ordered a nikon 50mm 1.8 for an upcoming trip. Going to be shooting with lots of water around so I picked up a circular polarizer as well. Any of you guys have tips on shooting with a polarizer on? Did I waste $20?
A circ polarizer is NEVER a bad investment. However you need to be careful and check your images,
since they can really screw up the sky in wider angle shots. But if you keep an eye on your images
after you take them, you can determine if you should continue to shoot with it on or not. It is only
a problem in certain sitchos. It can cause dark streaks/swaths in the sky.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #2272
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

I'll keep an eye on the LCD then. Thanks!
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #2273
OLS
Suck It

Man, I am torn. Weather in New Orleans is going to be good this weekend, but it also happens to be the
French Quarter Festival, and the main reason I was going back this weekend was to shoot during the early hours
of the morning when the light was good and there were not cars parked in every damn shot. But if its FQF weekend,
not only will there be cars and people everywhere, but stages and trash cans and cables and porta-potties.
I guess I will save myself for another weekend.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #2274
OLS
Suck It

Also remember that when you shoot with it, and you turn that camera sideways without a second thought to shoot
that tall shot, that you circ polarizer will be turned off axis and the effect will go away, so you have to remember to
turn it 90 degrees. If there is one thing I have learned about amateur photography, its that its all so clear at home,
and when you get on the scene and start shooting, everything you wanted to remember just flies out the window, lol.
I imagine that its also easy for the pros to forget, but I bet its much less so. And there are no marks on it, you just
turn it til the colors bloom or the effect you see is the one you desire. They are cool but it is easy to forget you have
it mounted, and you may get home and see you forgot to turn it and all your pics in one direction look great, and all
the ones the other orientation are dull and colorless. 5HI+ happens.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #2275
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Cropped surf pix in B&W. What say you?

Thats a great shot Justin. Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
In the yellow tulip, you can clearly see that I used way too much aperture for this particular shooting sitcho. the DOF is so narrow, you can only see 1/4 of one petal in in the plane of focus. But since the LCD is SO TINY, you can't really tell what you have and fix it on the scene. You have to wait to get home.
Nice flower shots Brad. Since the light levels were low, maybe a smidge of flash on the daffodil?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #2276
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Ok my funny sign assignment. I know it's lame but it's all I could find lol

IMG_3439 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Love it!

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #2277
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
[b]Nice flower shots Brad. Since the light levels were low, maybe a smidge of flash on the daffodil?
In a real life scenario, yes, it would be appropriate. In that case, as with the others, I was
really just shooting to test the lens. The D100 body tends to crush the blacks which is a nice
effect if you want it, but could be considered a con or a defect in design when looked at critically.
As a pro flower shot, you likely would not want it to be that dark overall.

This is also the problem I have with the 1st generation DSLRs from Nikon. The LCDs are SO SMALL
as to be useless in outdoor light for really being able to critically view your shot and make
adjustments. So while my excuse is 'it was just a photowalk lens test', my dilemma remains
going forward. But my main body, the D70 is a little smarter. You can see the two days' results,
the first day with the D70, the same basic shots are better overall in terms of light balance.

A further dilemma is the whole concept of fill-flash. I am not steeped in the photographic tradition.
I have been shooting with SLRs since the mid-70s. But that was just the START. I dropped it
as soon as my mirror assembly quit working about 1981. And I never was a good technique photog.
The concept of fill flash was yet to be learned when I stopped shooting. Then in the mid 80s,
I became a shooter by profession, video-wise. But when I began shooting stills again, I picked up
a point and shoot. My composition and technique are solid, but my fundamentals are weak.
I do not THINK about a shot in technical terms. I have a tool, an adjustable output flash, and I get
so caught up in shooting the shot that I forget to raise the flash in appropriate, non-low-light sitchos.
Same as I told Salvelinus about the circular polarizer....don't FORGET its THERE!

Last edited by OLS; 04-12-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #2278
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Lol ordered a Canon EOS Élan 7N 35mm camera for $88 shipped. And a tripod mount for the 70-200f4 and 3 different rolls of B&W film.
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #2279
OLS
Suck It

Wow, talking about my first camera made me think back a long way. The very first thing I wanted to do
with my camera when I got it was to take perv pics. I guess that's why everyone gets that out of their
system when they got a digital camera, gotta take shots naked just to revel in the fact that it will not have
to be developed.
But when my dad gave me this camera, I wanted to catch a cheerleader in mid-high kick. I was obsessed with it.
And I got good at it, lol. But when you had to send the film off, it was about as risque as I thought I could get
away with without the lab sending the FBI after me or something.

I think its funny that now that we are a generation removed from ever CONSIDERING that there is no more
LAB involved, I wonder how kids even THINK about their first digital camera. When I got my first digital back in
the early 90s, I immediately started asking women to pose nude for me. They had thought about it, but
would never want a lab to see the pics. It was a REAL selling point. I could shoot a ton of pics, burn a CD for em
and keep my promise not to share the photos, and count on word of mouth to keep me in hot girls naked in my house.

Anyway, back to my first camera.............

Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #2280
OLS
Suck It

OK I lied...actually THIS was my first camera. But my dad took it back after I didn't seem to like it much.
I guess I was 10 at the time. I took it to camp, shot some shots, but never had any desire to use my allowance
to get the film developed. He took it back and used it and made a darkroom out of his bathroom every now
and then and developed the shots. but I never touched that Brownie again. He gave me that Sears
mamiya/sekor about 5 years later.