Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #21
PhantomPhlyer
Suckin' gas & haulin' ass

First Name: Dan
Trading: (0)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
PhantomPhlyer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How long do your batteries last...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I use fans in my two coolidors because I figure with all of the shelves and everything I have in there that am limiting the airflow. While the humidity is supposed to be even throughout, I worry about it being uneven -- just like in any given space, small or large. So I use three small (~1.5") computer fans. I have not had any problems with the fans, and while I may not really need them, they do give me some peace-of-mind and were not difficult to hook up.
I'm considering putting an old computer fan in my coolerdor and powering it with a cell phone charger. My question is one of basic electronics. The fan is a brushless DC fan calling for a 12VDC/1.60 amp input. The spare charger that I have only puts out about 9 VDC/800 milliamps. Will this (a) destroy the fan, (b) create a safety hazard, or (c) create the possibility of imparting an odor into the cigars stashed in the coolerdor?
PhantomPhlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #22
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I am not an expert. However, I think using lower voltage and current will not create a safety hazard or impart any odor. Really depends on the fan though.

I hooked computer fans to a USB port and been fine.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPhlyer View Post
I'm considering putting an old computer fan in my coolerdor and powering it with a cell phone charger. My question is one of basic electronics. The fan is a brushless DC fan calling for a 12VDC/1.60 amp input. The spare charger that I have only puts out about 9 VDC/800 milliamps. Will this (a) destroy the fan, (b) create a safety hazard, or (c) create the possibility of imparting an odor into the cigars stashed in the coolerdor?

a) Probably not, but check the voltage range on the label or with the manufacturer to be sure. 12VDC computer fans being able to run at 9VDC is common, they just turn slower.

b) If the 1.6A rating is correct, that's a 20W fan, at 9VDC it'll need about 2A (2000mA). So, yes with that fan, you'll have a safety hazard with your power supply being overloaded.

c) No.

Might be best to look for a smaller/less power hungry PC case fan, something in the more typical 1-2 watt range and voltage rated for 8-12 VDC or so. The 9V power supply you have will be more than sufficient for a fan like that and you can change answer b to "So long as your wiring is safe/proper, no"
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote