Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-31-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
SpruceBruce
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
SpruceBruce is on a distinguished road
Default Air purifier recommendation?

As I live in Wisconsin and don't smoke in the house, I typically will sit out in the garage to try and enjoy my smokes. I'm finding that even smoking in our attached garage leads to some odors wafting their way inside. Was thinking an air purifier would be good. Any you guys would recommend?

One of the guys at a local B&M was talking about how he used one when they smoked in his basement and it worked wonders. I (like a moron) of course didn't ask what brand it was.
SpruceBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Air purifier recommendation?

I'm also in WI and spend a lot of time in the garage. I typically used nothing but a fan in the window for the last few years, but moved something like this inside this year. So far, so good. Cleans up the fog in a hurry.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...6&aparam=83608
Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

RabbitAir minus a2 - it's pricey but it works great. Make sure you get the Odor Remover customized filter

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I use an ionic pro junior and an ionization candle. Air is clean 10 minutes after smoking.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Since the unit would be in the house and not in the garage where the smoke is, you really just need odor removal, not necessarily air purification. A Csonka Smoker Cloaker or Pro inside the house would take care of this quite well.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
MoTheMan
Who Else!

First Name: mo
Trading: (0)
RyJ
MoTheMan has disabled reputation

I'm a fan of the ecoquest systems!

See link below!

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55663
Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
I use an ionic pro junior and an ionization candle. Air is clean 10 minutes after smoking.
Ionization candle...? I tried googling but didn't come up with anything - can you explain/link what this is?
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
Ionization candle...? I tried googling but didn't come up with anything - can you explain/link what this is?
Posted via Mobile Device
You can get them at some pet or cigar shops. It does more then just cover a sent. I will post more when I get home tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

If the issue is to keep the smoke from traveling from the garage to the living space, consider 2 complimentary approaches.
1. Try to close off all paths between the two spaces by weather stripping doors, electrical boxes etc.
2. Maintain the pressure in the garage at a slightly lower level than the house with a window fan, dedicated exhaust fan (through the wall or roof)
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
fsjonsey
Still Watching My Back

fsjonsey is on a distinguished road

I've worked in a B&M for close to two years. The only thing that ever worked for us, and remained cost effective is a 30 year old UAS Smokeeter we bought used from a restaurant down the street. You've seen them for years hanging on the ceiling in bars. They operate on the electrostatic precipitator principle, air is positively charged with high voltage as it enters the unit, and negatively charged plates trap the particulate smoke. UAS just happens to make a small unit for home or office use, the SE20. They don't need filter changes either. All you have to do is pull the aluminum collection cell out once a month and soak it in hot water and Simple Green. Just to show how well it works, this is what our collection cell looked like the last time we cleaned it.

It's actually quite easy to find used electronic smokeaters locally, especially in states with smoking bans. Smokemaster, Honeywell, and Trion also make similar units.
I can't stress this enough. These things work. You can puff a cigar straight into the air intake while the unit is running, and nothing comes out the other end but air.

Last edited by fsjonsey; 05-16-2012 at 12:21 AM.
fsjonsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
fsjonsey
Still Watching My Back

fsjonsey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjonsey View Post
I've worked in a B&M for close to two years. The only thing that ever worked for us, and remained cost effective is a 30 year old UAS Smokeeter we bought used from a restaurant down the street. You've seen them for years hanging on the ceiling in bars. They operate on the electrostatic precipitator principle, air is positively charged with high voltage as it enters the unit, and negatively charged plates trap the particulate smoke. UAS just happens to make a small unit for home or office use, the SE20. They don't need filter changes either. All you have to do is pull the aluminum collection cell out once a month and soak it in hot water and Simple Green. Just to show how well it works, this is what our collection cell looked like the last time we cleaned it.

It's actually quite easy to find used electronic smokeaters locally, especially in states with smoking bans. Smokemaster, Honeywell, and Trion also make similar units.
I can't stress this enough. These things work. You can puff a cigar straight into the air intake while the unit is running, and nothing comes out the other end but air.
The black water in the photo is completely saturated with cigar tar. It was darker than India ink after soaking the collection cell for an hour.
Dynacom, a local company near me, sells used smokeeters:
Dynacom INC

Last edited by fsjonsey; 05-16-2012 at 02:29 AM.
fsjonsey is offline   Reply With Quote