Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #21
emtsmoker

Default Re: A Basic Humidor Buying Guide

Thanks for all the info here. I am looking to buy my first humi soon. After reading through the posts, i realize i have some other things to think about. I never thought about the flavored cigars affecting the other sticks. My wife likes the java and kaluha cigars. Now i know i'll have to take that into account.

Two questions though. I've seen some people commenting on glass top humi's. What's the big deal? It seems like most people are against them.
Second, regarding the flavored cigars and others, what if you have a larger humidor with separate drawers? Will that be enough separation not to worry about the flavors mingling?

Thanks for your help!!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #22
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

My wife enjoys flavored cigars as well.I keep hers in a zip lock bag in my cabinet and have not detected any scent from her smokes.

Keeping them in a separate drawer I don't think is enough to keep their aroma out of your humidor.

As far as glass tops are concerned,most believe the seal around the glass is insufficient.
In a lot of cases that is true.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #23
dric112

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
www.cigarbid.com Look Under "Merchandise". Looks Like The BID for The "Treasuredome" is going for $65 At The Moment.
Just ordered the same humidor (to be my first) the other day from cheaphumidors with promo code for a little over $100. That site said it was a 300 count humi, but Im almost certain its the same one. Wish I wouldve joined this site a few days earlier and learned about the "devil site"
Old 02-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #24
MortonMilo
Blowing smoke

First Name: R
Trading: (10)
MortonMilo has disabled reputation

Looking for an upgrade in my humidor...have a smallish one that's worked for the last little bit, but now have found that there isn't enough space!

I've seen the Liebherr XS 200, fallen in love with it, but the $2500 price tag is incredibly prohibitive! Are there any other electronic, stainless steel humidors out there that dont cost a million bucks?!
MortonMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #25
Giants85
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Justin
Trading: (4)
Montecristo
Giants85 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonMilo View Post
Looking for an upgrade in my humidor...have a smallish one that's worked for the last little bit, but now have found that there isn't enough space!

I've seen the Liebherr XS 200, fallen in love with it, but the $2500 price tag is incredibly prohibitive! Are there any other electronic, stainless steel humidors out there that dont cost a million bucks?!
I would suggest looking into a wine cooler, vinotemp/edgestar and other options available. Pair that with some Chasden drawers/shelves (www.chasidor.com) and you should be all set!

This should also be wayyy under the $2500 price tag mark.
Giants85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #26
MortonMilo
Blowing smoke

First Name: R
Trading: (10)
MortonMilo has disabled reputation

Thats exactly what I ended up doing. Will hopefully look just as nice, at an 1/8 the price!

Just gotta figure out how to keep myself from going crazy while I wait for my chasden drawers....
MortonMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #27
Big_Ern
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ernie
Trading: (1)
Trinidad
Big_Ern is on a distinguished road

I was given a small bar fridge today and would like to turn it into a Fridgidor.
what is the process that I have to go through? are there things that I should look out for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg May2110 11 mth 00076.jpg (30.0 KB, 1194 views)
Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #28
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Can I quote this post when you make the inevitable "Looking To Upgrade" thread in, let's say 6 months?
Posted via Mobile Device
You Got Me! Looking At A Custom One, Now, Jeff!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #29
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Ern View Post
I was given a small bar fridge today and would like to turn it into a Fridgidor.
what is the process that I have to go through? are there things that I should look out for?
You will need to get an external temperature control like a Johnson controller, to raise the temp high enough for cigar storage. Also, you will need to try and disconnect the freezer portion. Plug the drain hole, add beads and fill.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #30
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Ern View Post

Simple.

Steps
1) Defrost and clean thoroughly.
2) Plug back in and allow to cool down.
3) Fill with beer.
4) Take cold beer from fridge, open it, drink it while smoking a cigar and searching online for a good deal on a vinotemp or edgestar.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #31
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
You will need to get an external temperature control like a Johnson controller, to raise the temp high enough for cigar storage. Also, you will need to try and disconnect the freezer portion. Plug the drain hole, add beads and fill.
Typically, you can't disconnect just the freezer portion on those little units as they only have one set of evaporator coils, usually comprising the floor or floor and side(s) of the freezer and the "top" of the refrigerator section simultaneously. They control freezing spaces and refrigerated spaces simply by volume of space requiring cooling versus the amount of heat the evap can remove for that space. Very primitive design.

Now, if you want to rip the entire freon cooling system out and cut a few holes to mount thermoelectric coolers and a controller, then yeah, totally different game, but it will work.

Last edited by T.G; 06-22-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #32
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

So I have a 50 count humi and i'm looking at upgrading to a 250 or 300 count. does it matter that I don't have that many cigar YET! but I planing on stocking up over the summer. The 50 is full right now should I just leave it alone until I have enough to fill an 250?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #33
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
You Got Me! Looking At A Custom One, Now, Jeff!
You know, when I made my original post, I was going to put "5 months, 1 week, 4 days," but I rounded up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #34
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear31MX View Post
So I have a 50 count humi and i'm looking at upgrading to a 250 or 300 count. does it matter that I don't have that many cigar YET! but I planing on stocking up over the summer. The 50 is full right now should I just leave it alone until I have enough to fill an 250?

If you're definitely planning on increasing your stash of cigars within the next few months, you might as well just get the larger humidor now as this will give it time to settle in and you'll have it to put the cigars in, rather than having bags or boxes of cigars lying around waiting for it. Plus, start looking for a humidor now and you increase the chances of finding a good deal on something you like.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #35
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

QdO

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
If you're definitely planning on increasing your stash of cigars within the next few months, you might as well just get the larger humidor now as this will give it time to settle in and you'll have it to put the cigars in, rather than having bags or boxes of cigars lying around waiting for it. Plus, start looking for a humidor now and you increase the chances of finding a good deal on something you like.
Good point, thanks, any suggestions?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #36
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Treasure Dome and Havana Footlocker are popular choices. Or you could go the low-cost route: snag a huge cooler and spend the difference on cigars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #37
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

QdO

looking at the teasure dome right now, CI got on sale for 159.95 I like it. Good suggestion, thanks. witch do you think is better the digiatal or analog hydmeter?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #38
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Yeah, buy a 500 or 600 count humidor.

I'm actually kind of serious. A lot of the 250-300 count humidors really aren't going to hold that many cigars unless the cigars are smaller vitolas and they are unboxed or in very compact boxes. Once you start looking at humidors, you'll probably quickly notice the great disparity in physical sizes of the various so called "x# count" humidors.

All of Mark's (N2Advnture) advice at the beginning of this thread is good as a buying guide. Mark also has some good humidors on his site.

How much do you want to spend? Ed (WaxingMoon) makes some gorgeous custom humidors, they aren't that expensive, but they are going to cost you more than a mass produced one, but the quality is going to far exceed most, if not all, of the mass produced products.

If you want to go to 500-600 size, CI sells a humidor called the "Club Chairside" which is well built and really does hold the claimed 600 cigars, maybe even a bit more - you have some drawers for singles and plenty of room for boxes. You used to be able to pick them up off Cbid for around $200-300, I haven't looked lately at what they are going for.

Depending on where you live, maybe a Vinotemp or Edgestar and some shelves & drawers from Chuck (ChasDen) is the better solution.

Or maybe a 48qt Rubbermaid coolers and a jar of Humicare gel will suit or please you.

Ultimately, a humidor is kind of like a car. Pick one that suits your needs, budget and personalty.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #39
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Yeah, buy a 500 or 600 count humidor.

I'm actually kind of serious. A lot of the 250-300 count humidors really aren't going to hold that many cigars unless the cigars are smaller vitolas and they are unboxed or in very compact boxes. Once you start looking at humidors, you'll probably quickly notice the great disparity in physical sizes of the various so called "x# count" humidors.

All of Mark's (N2Advnture) advice at the beginning of this thread is good as a buying guide. Mark also has some good humidors on his site.

How much do you want to spend? Ed (WaxingMoon) makes some gorgeous custom humidors, they aren't that expensive, but they are going to cost you more than a mass produced one, but the quality is going to far exceed most, if not all, of the mass produced products.

If you want to go to 500-600 size, CI sells a humidor called the "Club Chairside" which is well built and really does hold the claimed 600 cigars, maybe even a bit more - you have some drawers for singles and plenty of room for boxes. You used to be able to pick them up off Cbid for around $200-300, I haven't looked lately at what they are going for.

Depending on where you live, maybe a Vinotemp or Edgestar and some shelves & drawers from Chuck (ChasDen) is the better solution.

Or maybe a 48qt Rubbermaid coolers and a jar of Humicare gel will suit or please you.

Ultimately, a humidor is kind of like a car. Pick one that suits your needs, budget and personalty.
, the advise given in this thread is all correct. Get what suits your needs.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #40
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
looking at the teasure dome right now, CI got on sale for 159.95 I like it. Good suggestion, thanks. witch do you think is better the digiatal or analog hydmeter?
Most of the analog hygrometers sold for cigar use are not good quality. There are a few exceptions though.

Don Salvatore, Xikar and Hygro-Set all market good adjustable digital hygrometers. (CI / Cbid sell the Hygro-Sets) There are other decent ones too, I just don't remember the names offhand.

There's a $9 adjustable Accurite hygrometer with temprature and min-max recording that you can find at Wal-Mart and Home Depot that works quite well. Acu-Rite 00613W.

Don't get too wound up on needing a hygrometer though. If the cigars feel and smoke right, right being to your liking, then the humidity is fine. Doesn't matter what number it is.