Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #41
fsjonsey
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
fsjonsey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Smoking in Car Thread

During the warm months, I smoke in my 1962 Corvair all the time. 60's cars were made for smoking. There is a small ashtray on each armrest and a larger one on the top of the dash above the radio. The wing windows and cowl vents quickly blow any residual smoke out, and the vinyl upholstery is more or less impervious to cigar odor. In the winter, I occasionally smoke in my Subaru Outback, though I keep the front drivers window and rear passenger window open. It establishes a cross breeze that quickly pulls smoke out of the car. If it's cold out, I'll crank the heat up and turn on the heated seats. Never, ever, set your vehicle's climate control to recirculate while smoking. Smoke will precipitate in the ducting and cabin air filter and you'll never get the smell out.

Last edited by fsjonsey; 05-15-2012 at 01:06 AM.
fsjonsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #42
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

It looks like Stinky has a new ashtray for cars:

I have to say I am intrigued and will pick one up and give it a try. If they work out I might even stock a few

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #43
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
It looks like Stinky has a new ashtray for cars:

I have to say I am intrigued and will pick one up and give it a try. If they work out I might even stock a few
Wow, looks awesome. I have seen a cheaper looking version on the same theme.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #44
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

The Stinky ashtray looks nice but I could not give up my Bobken ashtray http://www.pipesandcigars.com/asboseexcias.html Clips between the window and the door holds the cigar perfectly and allows smoke to go out the cracked window.Just don't try and get out and close the door with a cigar resting in the holder unless you're watching to make sure it doesn't wind up on your seat learned the hard way.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #45
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savor the Stick View Post
Yes I have used an Ionizer with good success. Pug it in at the end of the day and by morning all I smell in the van is clean interior.

Thanks, exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I drive an hour and 10 minutes to work each way...and I don't smoke in my car. Wondering why the hell am I wasting the valuable time not enjoying a stick.
I was thinking the same thing. I drive 38 miles each way. It takes about an hour give or take, depending on traffic. My car is new to me, 20K miles. I want to baby it, but if I can smoke in it without the permanent stale smoke smell that the wife and kids hate, that would be best.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #46
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullnrose View Post
The Stinky ashtray looks nice but I could not give up my Bobken ashtray http://www.pipesandcigars.com/asboseexcias.html Clips between the window and the door holds the cigar perfectly and allows smoke to go out the cracked window.Just don't try and get out and close the door with a cigar resting in the holder unless you're watching to make sure it doesn't wind up on your seat learned the hard way.
I use a Bobken now (I have three of them) and as long as you have a larger ring gauge cigar it's fine. It also does not work as well for when the cigar gets shorter than the holder.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #47
saigon68

My neighbor leased a Honda. He too loves to smoke cigars while driving. When he turned the truck in they hit him for a $200 detail fee.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #48
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I don't smoke in the car often but have a Bobken ashtray and an Ozone air purifier for when I do. My best results for cleaning the air come from running the air purifier for about 30 min after I get home with the windows up. It cleans up almost all the residual odor.

MCS
Old 05-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #49
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigon68 View Post
My neighbor leased a Honda. He too loves to smoke cigars while driving. When he turned the truck in they hit him for a $200 detail fee.
Small price to pay. They probably would have issued the fee for something else if it wasn't for the cigars.

MCS
Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #50
whodeeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I drive an hour and 10 minutes to work each way...and I don't smoke in my car. Wondering why the hell am I wasting the valuable time not enjoying a stick.
Yeah Mac, what's your problem?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #51
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Caymus is on a distinguished road

Well I christened the new Highlander while on a 4 hour drive to Jacksonville FL. I enjoyed a nice Diamond Crown Robusto #3 with a large (i refuse to say "venti") Pike Place. I had the sunroof open a bit and the smoke went right out. Of course I dropped some ashes on the floor, but shook them out, and the next morning it had that nice cigar aroma. Tomorrow I'll smoke something else on the way to Savannah....already looking forward to it !
Some good tips...going to see if I can find a good deal on that Ecoquest fresh air to go !
Caymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #52
Fia
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jon
Fia is on a distinguished road

Put a coule dryer sheets under your car seat helps too.
Fia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #53
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Alright gents, I have been following this thread closely since it opened, although I haven't commented yet. I have a couple questions as I would really REALLY like to smoke in my car on road trips. Problem is, I have a brand new car, and I car pool with co-workers (business casual dress) to work. I don't really want the car to smell bad, and I don't want them to smell like smoke when they go to work...I won't be smoking in it during the week.

My questions:
I read that Ionizers do not really "clean" the air, but simply mask it with an air freshener...thoughts?
Is a car ozone generator better for cleaning the smoke in the air...or is it simply better for mold and other pollutions in the air?

Basically, I'm gonna follow what the consensus is here:
-Open the car vents to outside air
-Only use floor vents
-Open driver and back passenger windows
-Use an air freshener as needed
-Take out ashes and nubs immediately when finished
-And either use an ionizer or ozone generator (which ever you all think is best)

I really want to smoke, but I am worried about the smell for others that will ride in it.
Thanks all!
Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #54
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

I don't smoke in the car with non-smoking passengers. Ever.

No matter how much they tell you they don't mind, they will. And that's how cigar smokers end up getting lumped in with cigarette smokers, who light up anywhere without consideration.

When I'm alone in the car or with another cigar smoker, it's all good.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #55
FNA
Just in from the Storm

FNA is on a distinguished road

I am always surprised at how many cigar smokers don't like the smell of where cigars are smoked.

To me it smells like "Cigars can be smoked here!"

I smoke in the car, I smoke on the bike (well, up to around 55mph, after that mostly just clenching cigar in teeth waiting to go slow enough to smoke again.)
FNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #56
Jefft72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Jefft72 is on a distinguished road

When I travel to Austin for work I like to enjoy a cigar coming and going. I find it very relaxing and can really take the cigar in and enjoy the flavors. On one of those trips I got in late and left the cup with ashes in the car. The next morning it was terrible to get into and took several weeks to air out. One of those Xikar in car ashcans looks really nice, but the event could have been easily avoided.

Anyhow, thumbs up to smoking in the vehicle.
Jefft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #57
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

Caymus is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it's the ashes in the car that make it smell bad. Shake out the floor mats, make sure you get the ashes out at the end of your drive.
Caymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #58
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaase321 View Post
My questions:
I read that Ionizers do not really "clean" the air, but simply mask it with an air freshener...thoughts?
Is a car ozone generator better for cleaning the smoke in the air...or is it simply better for mold and other pollutions in the air?

Ozone generators/Ionizers/De-Ionizers will kill odor. They claim to clean the air, but that is hotly debated. What isn't debated is their ability to kill odor. They will remove all odor, new-car smell, smoke, anything. Fresh rain smell is that of ozone created by friction of the raindrops falling through the air. That is the only thing you'll smell in a room/car that has had one running in it for a while. Ionizers are not good at actively cleaning the air, for example while someone is smoking. It won't hurt to run it then, but it'll do a good job to kill the odors after the fact. It's not good for you to sit in an unvented room or car with an ozone generator running. High concentrations breathed can be bad for you. If you get a sore throat from it, vent more, or just set it to run after you get out of the car.

My earlier question was to the effectiveness of the very small 12V versions our there sold for automotive use. I know the larger home/120v AC models work well for de-odorizing. I just want something I can use in the car. I'll update this thread once I pick one up and test it out.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #59
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Ozone generators/Ionizers/De-Ionizers will kill odor. They claim to clean the air, but that is hotly debated. What isn't debated is their ability to kill odor. They will remove all odor, new-car smell, smoke, anything. Fresh rain smell is that of ozone created by friction of the raindrops falling through the air. That is the only thing you'll smell in a room/car that has had one running in it for a while. Ionizers are not good at actively cleaning the air, for example while someone is smoking. It won't hurt to run it then, but it'll do a good job to kill the odors after the fact. It's not good for you to sit in an unvented room or car with an ozone generator running. High concentrations breathed can be bad for you. If you get a sore throat from it, vent more, or just set it to run after you get out of the car.

My earlier question was to the effectiveness of the very small 12V versions our there sold for automotive use. I know the larger home/120v AC models work well for de-odorizing. I just want something I can use in the car. I'll update this thread once I pick one up and test it out.
Thanks for the info Mike. The small 12V model is what I was looking for as well. I think I may pick up the ionizer tonight and use it along with an air freshener at the end of the trip. Let me know what you find out when you pick one up.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #60
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

I haven't smoke in my car. I was tempted to yesterday but resisted.