Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Secret Shave

My secret shave is Shave Secret! Oops no longer a secret!

I stumbled upon this product while picking up some disposable razors at Walmart recently. I didn't think it would work but it was only like $3 so I grabbed it. I have always had sensitive skin and despise shaving because of the aftermath. Shaving causes many irritations to my skin, mostly on my neck. I am a believer of this product after only one use. It has been a few days and zero irritation! If you have sensitive skin I recommend this product!

(I have tried everything else under the sun with zero luck)
Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: Secret Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post

I stumbled upon this product while picking up some disposable razors at Walmart recently. I didn't think it would work but it was only like $3 so I grabbed it. I have always had sensitive skin and despise shaving because of the aftermath. Shaving causes many irritations to my skin, mostly on my neck. I am a believer of this product after only one use. It has been a few days and zero irritation! If you have sensitive skin I recommend this product!

(I have tried everything else under the sun with zero luck)
You will get better results with a soap and a brush.
VirtualSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
You will get better results with a soap and a brush.
So you've tried this product, and now by comparison which gives a better shave?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I have yea. It's been available at walmarts around here for ages. I have very sensitive skin as well, the stuff is slick, but it's not doing your face any wonders. And if your using a multicart razor I found it gunks up the razor pretty quick. Most shave soaps will give you a far better result, slick and moisturizing. If you don't want to use a brush, look for Cremo, it's a pretty good lather-less product.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
I have yea. It's been available at walmarts around here for ages. I have very sensitive skin as well, the stuff is slick, but it's not doing your face any wonders. And if your using a multicart razor I found it gunks up the razor pretty quick. Most shave soaps will give you a far better result, slick and moisturizing. If you don't want to use a brush, look for Cremo, it's a pretty good lather-less product.
I may have to look into these "Shave Soaps". Are they in bar form?
I tried tons of different creams with negative results but never a soap I guess.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

For sensitive skin Cremo Cream works great but what worked even better for me was http://www.amazon.com/Billy-Jealousy...5&sr=8-1-spell it's like 20,00 for 8oz but a tiny amount does my whole head and face.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
I may have to look into these "Shave Soaps". Are they in bar form?
I tried tons of different creams with negative results but never a soap I guess.
They come in all shapes and sizes. Bars, pucks, sticks, most local supermarket carry Williams and Van Der Hagen which are mug soaps. Look like tiny hockey pucks.

If you really want to start enjoying your shave, see this thread

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25334

I ditched the disposable razors and canned goo and have been happy ever since
Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
They come in all shapes and sizes. Bars, pucks, sticks, most local supermarket carry Williams and Van Der Hagen which are mug soaps. Look like tiny hockey pucks.

If you really want to start enjoying your shave, see this thread

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25334

I ditched the disposable razors and canned goo and have been happy ever since
I have looked in that thread several times, I just see it as another slope I can't afford right now. I need something cheap like the product in the OP to get me by for now, but would love to get into that kind of shaving later down the road. Plus I hate shaving and wetshaving seems like it would be more work, more expensive and time consuming.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

I haves brush and natural soap for shaving from one of those natural stores, works great as well with no irritation
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Quote:
I too have sensitive skin. I have found that I get the best results shaving in the shower (no, I don't even use a mirror) with just my normal bar of shower soap, rubbing it generously over my face, then lathering it up with my fingertips, and then shaving.

I think that it might be the fact that my whiskers are softened quite a bit in the shower, and the whole thing is rather a slick experience.

I have tried lotions, soap & brush, creams, gels, etc... and this seems to work best for me.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

I also get ingrown hairs on my neck everytime I shave but so far no problems with the OP product, did anybody else here have that issues and did any other method mentioned resolve it?
Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

I made the switch to wetshaving a few months ago and I won't go back to canned goo and cartridge razors. I use a tube of shaving cream with a brush and a DE razor. I've had zero ingrown hairs since making the switch.

My initial investment was about 40 bucks for a razor and pack of blades, shaving cream, bowl and brush, and an aftershave balm. It is a little more time consuming, but I feel the benefits outweigh the costs of the extra time spent. The key to a great shave for me is proper preparation and technique, once I figured that out my shaves are irritation and ingrown hair free.

Just like cigar smoking, it's as expensive of a hobby as you let it be. I could have easily continued using the same razor, and just buying replacement blades (which are way cheaper than replacing cartridges) and probably ended up recouping my initial investment in about a year (I haven't done any math to back this up, just a rough estimate). If it is something you're considering, hit youtube and search for mantic59, he has lots of great videos on the how and whys of wetshaving.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I shave in the shower -- the moist heat makes it much easier to shave. I also use Jack Black Beard Lube. Works wonders and a little of it goes a long way... Works great on sensitive skin.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Shane This I can help you with. I bought some razors just for PIFing and would really like to help you out with your sensitive skin issue....more then likely if you are using a cartridge shaver the multi-blades are what is causing the irritation to your face. Then if you add in a "Canned Goo" the propellents( face drying) are an irritant also.
I would really, really, really (yes 3 reallys) like to PIF you a razor, blade assortment, soap, and cream for you to give this a shot..... the only thing you would need is a good brush to start with; I would suggest a Badger hair from this place. gonna cost you about $30+ shipping.

****FIRST LOOK AND WATCH THESE VIDEOS****

Introduction to Wet Shaving Videos

This Guy has some really great Vids on Wet Shaving.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

OH daaaa sorry forgot....

It seems like a big investment in $ at first...but once the return on the investment is paid for; there is no big cost to wetshaving. The soaps and creams last for a long time and blades for me cost less then 25 cents a piece.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

That is a great offer Kevin!

Shane, if you dont want to shell out that much for a brush, some target locations sell a badger brush for about 10 bucks, and most cvs/walgreens have a boar brush and/or a brush, bowl, soap combo that will get the job done as well, with minimal initial investment.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Wow Kevin you have already PIF to me so much, I can't accept any more!
You are very kind, too kind in fact! This is in no way a fishing thread, in fact I was just trying to pass on some info that I found helpfull.
I can try to buy this stuff a little bit at a time, it is something that always intrigued me.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 12-02-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Plus I hate shaving and wetshaving seems like it would be more work, more expensive and time consuming.
It's slightly more time consuming, but it's so much more enjoyable than spraying some foam and using a cartridge razor. The initial investment is a little pricey (though not unreasonably so), but once you have a handle and a brush, it's really cheap. Shave soaps last a lot longer than canned shave cream and tend to be much cheaper. Also, double-edged razor blades are a tiny fraction of the price of razor cartridges or even disposables.

I'm so glad I made the switch to a DE safety razor. I think it gives me a much smoother shave than the multi-blade razors. I have the "long" handle Merkur (it's actually pretty stubby) and a really nice silvertip badger brush. I've been using the same Proraso shave soap for almost a year now and haven't had to replace it yet. Razors are cheap, and there are a lot of sampler packs on Amazon that let you try out a bunch of different blades to see which you prefer. At some point I'll pick up a new handle that feels a little better in my hand, but for now I love it.

EDIT: Wow, Kevin posted while I was typing. I'd strongly recommend taking him up on that, that's an awesome offer. I also want to stress the importance of getting a badger brush. I started with a boar bristle and not only was it uncomfortable, but it shed bristles with every use.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

Quote:
Wow Kevin you have already PIF to me so much, I can't accept any more!
You are a very kind, too kind in fact! This is in no way a fishing thread, in fact I was just trying to pass on some info that I found helpfull.
I can go look around at Targets and CVSs for a cheaper version.
What Brian said above....

Phoffy to you Shane it ain't doing me any good sitting on my shelf...I bought the stuff to PIF---and I KNOW you were not fishing. So shut it and LET me do it.---it is MY pleasure.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #20
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
It's slightly more time consuming, but it's so much more enjoyable than spraying some foam and using a cartridge razor. The initial investment is a little pricey (though not unreasonably so), but once you have a handle and a brush, it's really cheap. Shave soaps last a lot longer than canned shave cream and tend to be much cheaper. Also, double-edged razor blades are a tiny fraction of the price of razor cartridges or even disposables.

I'm so glad I made the switch to a DE safety razor. I think it gives me a much smoother shave than the multi-blade razors. I have the "long" handle Merkur (it's actually pretty stubby) and a really nice silvertip badger brush. I've been using the same Proraso shave soap for almost a year now and haven't had to replace it yet. Razors are cheap, and there are a lot of sampler packs on Amazon that let you try out a bunch of different blades to see which you prefer. At some point I'll pick up a new handle that feels a little better in my hand, but for now I love it.

EDIT: Wow, Kevin posted while I was typing. I'd strongly recommend taking him up on that, that's an awesome offer. I also want to stress the importance of getting a badger brush. I started with a boar bristle and not only was it uncomfortable, but it shed bristles with every use.

Yeah what the other Kevin said.