Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Gran Habano Azteca

I've totally abandoned the Review thread...what's wrong with me!!?? So, I'd say I'm back but I'll probably just get distracted again by the Cigar Discussion threads...but for now, here's a review!

Size: 5.5×52, Aguila

Wrapper: San Andres Double Maduro

Binder: San Andres

Filler: Nicaraguan, Panamanian

Strength: Medium/ Full

Grade: 8.8

Price: Box of 20, $170.95

Today at Toasted Foot we review the new line of cigars from Gran Habano. Headed up by Don Guillermo, the Azteca is a departure from the typical Gran Habano flavor profile; George Rico worked as blender for this line. The press release on this new smoke provides a bit more information.
From the Americas to your palate comes the Gran Habano Azteca. Nestled in the San Andres valley of Vera Cruz Mexico, kissed by the sun, lays the oily goodness of the Double Maduro wrapper and binder that forms the body of the Azteca. Continuing our journey further south to round out this taste explosion of richness are the countries of Panama and Nicaragua, who proudly supplied this cigar with its smooth burning fillers. As fierce as an Aztec warrior is the flavor of this complex cigar. So if you fancy a tasty journey down Mexico way, and have an itch for the exotic tobaccos of Central America, then light up this globetrotting stick today!
The new blend is available in three sizes, Jaguar (6×54), Puma (6×60), and our sample today, the Aguila 5.5×52). One of the first premium cigars I ever smoked was a Gran Habano, so I am excited to fire this one up to see how it toasts.

Pre-light, 1.7:
The wrapper on this smoke is dark, oily, and very appealing to the eye. There are minimal veins and the cigar is well packed for the most part from head to foot. The pre-light aroma is of leather, tobacco, and just a bit of earth. The foot has the same characteristics, but there is a bit of very dark spice present. The cold draw produces notes of solid tobacco with just a bit of spice and sweetness on the finish. Lastly, the presentation of this smoke is nice, and it really fits the name of the cigar; I also like the double band presentation.

Burn, 1.7:
The cap comes off clean on the Aguila, which translated is Eagle. The draw is good, the ash holds well, and the smoke temperature is consistent. The smoke requires no touch ups or re-lights of any sort and burned like a champ from start to finish.

Flavor, 2.7:
The first third of the Gran Habano Azteca is of Mexican tobacco with a hint sweetness coming from the wrapper on the finish. The second third becomes a bit more complex with notes that I have trouble identifying but that are pleasant on the palate. I would say the base notes are tobacco, leather, and a continued sweetness on the finish. The last third of the smoke follows the same profile and does not transition from what has already been established.

Overall, 2.7:
I enjoy a Maduro smoke and to me this really fits in my wheelhouse. The wrapper is balanced well with the filler and binder, producing a full flavored smoked that is complex enough to keep your interested.

(Total: 8.8)