Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Goviado Black Label Petite Corona

I purchased a box of these early October of this year, so they have been in the humidor around 2 months.

Goviado Black PC

Vitola: Petite Corona
Size: 4 x 40
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Rosado
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Long Filler Nicaraguan

Appearance:
Mottled medium brown wrapper, with a decent but not perfect cap.

Flavor Notes:
Woodsy leather undertone, creamy on the palate. Sharp acrid ammonia flavor on finish and through nose. Slight hint of spiciness like black pepper.

Aroma:
Aroma is nice, like cedar.

Overall Impression: This is a good size for those of us who deal with frigid temperatures here in the north. Unfortunately these little cigars have a lot of nice flavors that are drowned by the acrid ammonia flavor that is present. It is safe to say these need more time. I'm hoping they'll turn out to be the cigars I expected in a few months.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Goviado Black Label Petite Corona

Nice review, Mikey. Maybe you could revisit them in the Spring and let us know how they are then.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Nice review, Mikey. Maybe you could revisit them in the Spring and let us know how they are then.
Oh I definitely will!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

That's pretty much what I got out the couple you sent me.

They may just be perfect for next winter if you can wait that long (I know I couldn't )
Old 12-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

That's funny, I smoked a couple ROTT and didn't get the ammonia at all. I liked 'em a lot, especially because it is freezing outside.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
That's funny, I smoked a couple ROTT and didn't get the ammonia at all. I liked 'em a lot, especially because it is freezing outside.
I'm not quite sure what it was. I smoked one as well ROTT, but I don't remember it being that acrid.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Overall Impression: This is a good size for those of us who deal with frigid temperatures here in the north. Unfortunately these little cigars have a lot of nice flavors that are drowned by the acrid ammonia flavor that is present. It is safe to say these need more time. I'm hoping they'll turn out to be the cigars I expected in a few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I'm not quite sure what it was. I smoked one as well ROTT, but I don't remember it being that acrid.
Fresh cigars are excellent. The differing flavors are sharp and distinct. Then, 5 days to 3 months later, an amonia flavor/smell can develop as the different leaves start meld. That acrid/amonia flavor can remain for a couple months to a year.

I'd say that these could be great after they've gone through the melding period a bit.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review MJ!!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:47 AM   #9
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

These are very good PC's I cant get enough of them
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote