Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road
Default Orlando Disney Condo Recommendations???

Me and my family are going to Disney in April and want to rent a condo so we can also go to Sea World and Universal. Can anyone recommend a place to stay I have been looking around on the internet and have found alot of places that look good but you can never tell with Internet reviews
Any feed back would be greatly appriciated
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
tobii3

Default Re: Orlando Disney Condo Recommendations???

Would love to recommend, but after several absolutely disgusting and colossal failures, I gave up staying anywhere else BUT on Disney Property.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
Would love to recommend, but after several absolutely disgusting and colossal failures, I gave up staying anywhere else BUT on Disney Property.
I doubt I would even look after staying at Disney once.
It was a great experience,they really do try to make it the "happiest place on earth"
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
I doubt I would even look after staying at Disney once.
It was a great experience,they really do try to make it the "happiest place on earth"
I agree with both of these guys. Being an annual passholder we have stayed at many of the Disney properties. They really do go the extra mile.

Recently we stayed @ the Bonnet Creek resort because a friend of my wife has a time share there. It just wasn't the same.
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
sofaman
Feeling at Home

We stayed at Disneys Caribbean Beach Resort last year and loved it, But this year my wife wants to take along her parents and we will need a Villa to fit everyone. I noticed a huge price diffrence between Disney Villas and the ones off property how bad could they be we will be spending the majority of our time at the parks anyhow.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
I agree with both of these guys. Being an annual passholder we have stayed at many of the Disney properties. They really do go the extra mile.

Recently we stayed @ the Bonnet Creek resort because a friend of my wife has a time share there. It just wasn't the same.
Grace & I own at the Bonnet Creek Resort -- it's a Wyndham property that is contiguous to Disney's properties. You won't find characters walking the grounds, but if you're looking for a nice, clean, hassle free experience, you really can't beat this place. The on property restaurants are lacking although a) we LOVE having the huge kitchen in the unit, so we cook there (much cheaper) and b) I understand The Waldorf Astoria recently opened next door. Wyndham guests enjoy some sort of access priveldges there too.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Grace & I own at the Bonnet Creek Resort -- it's a Wyndham property that is contiguous to Disney's properties. You won't find characters walking the grounds, but if you're looking for a nice, clean, hassle free experience, you really can't beat this place. The on property restaurants are lacking although a) we LOVE having the huge kitchen in the unit, so we cook there (much cheaper) and b) I understand The Waldorf Astoria recently opened next door. Wyndham guests enjoy some sort of access priveldges there too.
I did not think it was bad Vin, just different than the "Disney" experience we were used to. The units were very spacious and extremely well appointed. we really did not know what to expect and therefore had not planned well enough to utilize the property to its full extent.
With downtown Disney so close by you really can eat outside the resort pretty easy.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Thanks Vin This looks like it could be the place did you use there shuttle to the parks or is it easyer to just drive?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaman View Post
Thanks Vin This looks like it could be the place did you use there shuttle to the parks or is it easyer to just drive?
I'll let Vin chime in on this one too, but I will give my

We did not utilize the shuttle service when we stayed there, but only because as passholders we do not pay to park at any of the parks. If you are not a passholder, then expect to pay for parking at each park you visit.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
I'll let Vin chime in on this one too, but I will give my

We did not utilize the shuttle service when we stayed there, but only because as passholders we do not pay to park at any of the parks. If you are not a passholder, then expect to pay for parking at each park you visit.
Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

I too am Wyndham owner. You and your wife's parents might not want to leave Bonnet Creek for the parks. That lazy river in April with the bar right there!!!!! I have spent many afternoons sleeping in that thing!!!!!!
I have used the shuttle and was on time when needed.
If you cannot get a suite PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Also Star Island another Wyndham property is in between Disney and Sea World and about 15-25min to Universal depending on traffic.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Marriott Vacation Club stands high above the rest.

Google Marriott Grande Vista and I doubt you'll find a negative review.

Marriott and Disney Vacation Club are the best villas and anyone telling you different is either lying or just ignorant.

You can almost hit Seaworld with a rock from your villa at Grande Vista.

I am obviously a little biased as I am on their marketing team, but honestly, it is far and above nicer than any other condo style resort in the area.

After 20 years here, I don't know of one I haven't seen.

Another bonus is the fact that Restaurant Row is a short ride away and that means Corona for a cigar.

There are nice places on Disney and the convenience can't be understated. Wyndham ranks up as one of the best.

There isn't anything near Disney that i would go out of my way to eat and fight the hoardes of tourists at besides maybe California Grill.

Last edited by floydpink; 01-11-2011 at 07:00 PM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
We didn't use the shuttle cuz I'm an impatient SOB at times. We're going again in February and may check it out though. If you want to chat, Scott, PM me for my cell or have Shilala give it to you.

I will say that we also looked at the Marriott Vacation Club, and as Pete mentioned, it looked to be top shelf. We ended up at the Wyndham because it's where I negotiated the best deal. The one thing Bonnet Creek lacks is any real fine dining exeriences within walking distance, although I don't know what the new Waldorf has.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #14
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

That's the tradeoff with Disney properties. You get prime location with very little need to worry about driving and getting lost and dodging bad drivers.

You can watch fireworks from the pool and enjoy legendary Disney hospitality.

With small children, it really takes the guesswork out of a memorable vacation.

On the other end of the spectrum is places like Westgate, who will hound you nonstop to take a high pressure timeshare tour and keep you hostage until they get your credit card. The villas are large but not well maintained in many cases.

For locals and people in the hospitality industry, Westgate is the bottom of the barrel and cause for a lot of ruined vacations, which we all hate to hear about in a fragile economy with no shortage of rooms.

Marriott is also known for world class service and the properties are known to cater to families.

There is 3 in the Seaworld area ranging from Harbor Lakes with a Pirate ship water park, to Grande Vista, which is the largest piece of property in International Drive with world class golf and close proximity to great dining.

Then, there is the not yet well known and newest Lakeshore Reserve, which shares the property with the JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton, with a water park and accomondations include 2 story townhouses that sleep 12 comfortably.

I guess it comes down to what you plan on doing with the majority of your time.

If it's Disney, stay on Disney property.

If it's the other attractions or golf, I would stay off Disney property and the challenges sometimes faced as far as getting a dining reservation and fighting crowds.

PS. I love Disney and realize that without them, Orlando would still be orange groves.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
tobii3

Quote:
But this year my wife wants to take along her parents and we will need a Villa to fit everyone.
Dumb question, but how many people are we talking here?

I had the "wonderfulness" of being down there with the Wife, the daughter, the Mother in Law and the Sister in Law - and in a 2 bedroom, we weren't cramped at all. Really.

The 2 bedrooms easily fit 6 people - the Master bedroom has the king, the 2nd bedroom has two queens, and you have the additional sleeper sofa in the living room (8 people are the max allowed).

Villas are designed for 10 - 12 people - that's why the price jumps so drastically.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #16
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Dumb question, but how many people are we talking here?

I had the "wonderfulness" of being down there with the Wife, the daughter, the Mother in Law and the Sister in Law - and in a 2 bedroom, we weren't cramped at all. Really.

The 2 bedrooms easily fit 6 people - the Master bedroom has the king, the 2nd bedroom has two queens, and you have the additional sleeper sofa in the living room (8 people are the max allowed).

Villas are designed for 10 - 12 people - that's why the price jumps so drastically.
6 people Me and my wife and I have a 9yr old son and 7yr daughter and my Mother and Father inlaw
Old 01-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #17
tobii3

Quote:
6 people Me and my wife and I have a 9yr old son and 7yr daughter and my Mother and Father inlaw
oh yeah, a 2 bedroom will work fine for ya.