Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 06-20-2009, 11:58 PM   #421
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Official MMA Thread

Yeah the Guida and Diego fight was an all out WAR. Helluva card!
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #422
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
As usual, these free fights on Spike are better than the ppv. .....The first time I don't pull for Diego and he looks amazing
This TUF Finale card could top a lot of PPVs, though UFC 99 was pretty good.

I didn't think J. Stevenson had a chance against Diaz, but after his poor performance in his last fight he really turned it on. I think he looked at the Guida fight and seen the weaknesses of Diaz and being around to control him with better wrestling.

I'm with you on Diego, I really don't care much for the guy but he came out ready for war. Those two guys looked like dogs ready to rip each other apart. Any one Diego's path has some to worry about.

The fights last night were great.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #423
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Yea great card! The Diego Guida fight was the best I have seen in a long time. I could not BELIEVE that Clay got up from that kick to the face. Dude has a chin made of stone!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #424
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

MMA News! Long post, beware! lol

Tim Sylvia recently gave his thoughts on his humiliating ten second loss at the hands of 48 year old former heavyweight boxing champion Ray Mercer in Birmingham, AL last Saturday.

"I'm bummed out, you know," Sylvia admitted on HDNet's Inside MMA last night. "I played into his hands. He was talking a lot of crap about if I would be a man and stand up with him.

"I stood up with a boxer, you know," he continued. "When he's in my world, it was stupid of me."

Sylvia's comments about only standing up with Mercer because be was baited by the former boxing heavyweight champion would make sense, except for the fact that the bout had been scheduled to be a boxing match until two days prior to the show, when the bout was changed to MMA due to sanctioning problems.

Meanwhile, Ray Mercer noted that he came out ahead when the cards were stacked against him.

"I didn't get time to warm up," Mercer noted after the fight. "Everything was against me. Two days ago, this was a boxing match. They changed it, and made it MMA and I whooped that ass!"

http://www.fightline.com/news/mma/20...ia/index.shtml

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bas Rutten has stayed quiet about the reasons he stopped training Kimbo Slice after his fight with Seth Petruzelli, where the YouTube sensation got knocked out in just 14 seconds of the first round. With Kimbo now competing on the next season of The Ultimate Fighter, El Guapo finally broke his silence with Fighter's Only Magazine.
"I misjudged him, he turned into a whole different person," Rutten told the magazine. "I told him a few weeks ago, I had a sit down with him. I told him that he was an asshole and that I have zero respect [for him] and I cant train people that I have no respect for. Can't ever.

"He just turned into a different guy," Rutten continued. "He didn't need to do the things that I told him to do. He wasn't going to go to the ground, you know? The day before the [Petruzelli] fight, I told him I wanted to go over heel hooks and escapes, and he said "Nah, its not going to go to the ground". I said 'Ha, I like that attitude - but what if it does go to the ground?' but he said 'Its not going to go'. So I said OK, but don't let me tell you 'I told you so' if he snaps your ****in' leg in half. He said 'I don't know if that's a good thing for you to be telling me mentally, before a fight'! I said 'I don't think its a good thing for you not to be doing what I tell you, before the fight"!

Rutten went on to note that he has no interest in Kimbo's career, feeling his work ethic leaves a lot to be desired.

"He learned some things but he started to forget them. In the Thompson fight he did some great escapes in round number one but once fatigue hit him, he didn't do anything," Bas stated.

"And what I didn't like about the Thompson fight as well was he said afterwards 'Yeah, we planned on fighting three rounds' and I told him 'Don't say that, you were lucky the referee didn't stop the fight in the second round'. Don't say we planned to fight three rounds, it wasn't a plan."

Bas finished by saying that he will not coach students who will not listen to him.

http://www.fightline.com/news/mma/20...en/index.shtml

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The UFC dished out three "Fight of the Night" honors as three exciting fights were clearly worthy of the bonuses.

Diego Sanchez vs. Clay Guida, Chris Lytle vs. Kevin Burns and Joe Stevenson vs. Nate Diaz each were named the evening's "Fights of the Night," meanwhile, Jason Dent got Submission of the Night and Tomasz Drwal earned "Knockout of the Night" honors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, Chris Lytle did not tap out during this past Saturday's co-"Fight of the Night" bout with Kevin Burns at The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale.

Soon after the June 20 fight aired live on Spike TV and Lytle was awarded a unanimous-decision win, MMA forums lit up with claims stating that veteran fighter tapped out late in the first round after Burns connected on a solid uppercut and took the fight to the mat.

Approximately four minutes into the fight, after a timeout was given to Lytle because of an accidental groin kick, Burns connected on a crisp uppercut and forced the fight to the ground. Lytle was on his knees as Burns threw punches from above. A replay of the fight shows Lytle's left arm moving in an up and down motion – at most twice – though it's unclear if he was simply protecting his head, securing his balance, waving off the referee, signaling that he was taking illegal hits to the back of the head, or quite possibly even tapping out from the strikes.

Lytle hasn't re-watched the fight, and initially he wasn't even sure when the alleged tap took place. But he's confident he never called an end to the fight.

"I never even thought anything about that," Lytle said when asked about the possibility that he tapped out. "There was never a thought in mind ever to quit. I don't really see why there would have been. But when you look at something like this, it's pretty funny people would say something like that. I'm spinning around and trying to post up. I know [Burns] is in a position where he can throw punches. ... These are people who've never been in a position to get punched, and they're not understanding that you have to block.

"I've been around (MMA) for 11 years, and I've tapped in practice. You tap three times ... on the ground to let [your partner] know."

http://ikrazy.com/mixedmartialarts/i...pic,587.0.html

"Watching Fedor Emelianenko made me nervous tonight," said Josh Barnett about Fedor's bout with Andrei Arlovski at Afflictions "Day of Reckoning". Barnett will face Fedor on August 1st at Affliction M-1 Global's "Trilogy."

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news...t-nervous.html

Barnett has already lost with that attitude.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #425
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
"Watching Fedor Emelianenko made me nervous tonight," said Josh Barnett about Fedor's bout with Andrei Arlovski at Afflictions "Day of Reckoning". Barnett will face Fedor on August 1st at Affliction M-1 Global's "Trilogy."
I think Barnett, or anyone else for that matter, will have to find a balance between being aggressive when he can but to be careful about trying to finish Fedor too quickly. Fedor is a great counter striker and can take a lot of punishment then come back quickly. I think AA had him on the ropes a bit but went for the kill too quickly and got sloppy. You can't be sloppy around Fedor.

My .

Old 06-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #426
Killjoy

Tonight is Lashley vs Bob Sapp...total trainwreck...I will be checking Sherdog instead of paying for this monstrosity...I the fight goes quicker than a box of Anejos at retail
Old 06-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #427
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

I will be watching Ultimate Chaos tonite via streaming media. Actually looking forward to seeing what Tom Atencio can do in the ring (he's the VP of Affliction).

Should be interesting if nothing else.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:02 AM   #428
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
I will be watching Ultimate Chaos tonite via streaming media. Actually looking forward to seeing what Tom Atencio can do in the ring (he's the VP of Affliction).

Should be interesting if nothing else.
Atencio didn't look bad at all but I don't know about the stoppage. That was uber-weak. We need Atencio vs. Dana.

Chris "The Polish Hammer" Horodecki is really good. Been watching him since he was in the IFL.

Bob Sapp is a shell of his former self but I think Bobby Lashley could be really good. For his next fight, I would like to see him take on somebody that could test him.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 06-28-2009 at 03:10 AM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:23 AM   #429
trader1974
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Austin
Trading: (4)
trader1974 is on a distinguished road

I thought Atencio looked pretty good. I'm not sure about that stoppage either but who knows. I thought they Sapp/Lashley fight was very disappointing, Sapp just kind of galloped into the takedown right out of the gate and that was pretty much it, lol.
trader1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #430
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader1974 View Post
I thought Atencio looked pretty good. I'm not sure about that stoppage either but who knows. I thought they Sapp/Lashley fight was very disappointing, Sapp just kind of galloped into the takedown right out of the gate and that was pretty much it, lol.
Yeah, Sapp pretty much looks for a payday anymore. His heart is no longer in the game, imo.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #431
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

VR

I was never a big fan of Sapp at any point. The guy is just a hulking mass and used that to overwhelm his opponents. No skill involved IMO.

However, I did sincerely feel bad for the guy when he fought CroCop and got caught with that wicked hit that left him crying on the ground. Poor big fella
Old 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #432
trader1974
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Austin
Trading: (4)
trader1974 is on a distinguished road

I think the ref was a little slow on the draw in the Yvel vs Rizzo fight. It was gruesome watching his head bounce off the canvas like that.(although I couldn't turn away either, lol).
trader1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #433
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Vitor Belfort Comments On Fight With Anderson Silva

MMAConvert recently reported the following quote from current Affliction Middleweight Vitor Belfort:

Anderson is a great friend of mine and a big champion but Im looking for this . . .I cannot comment much on this right now but yeah, I always want to fight the best fighters. Of course it wont be a pleasure [being Silvas friend"> but there isnt another way at all in the sport. Kaka and Ronaldinho (Brazilian soccer players) are friends and have faced each other many times. It is part of my work and I need it to afford milk to the children at homeUFC is the most recognizable event and Im doing my job to go back. Being recognized there again is my biggest dream right now. Im on the right way either for the results in the ring or to the life. Im an eternal warrior. - Vitor Belfort in interview with OUL Esporte of Brazil

This quote sheds at least some light on Vitors mindset towards returning to the self-proclaimed Super Bowl of Mixed Martial Arts. UFC President Dana White has already made his intentions known in signing the former UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion recently, announcing at the TUF 9 Finale his desire to bring The Phenom back into the UFC middleweight division to take on division kingpin, Anderson Silva.

http://www.fightline.com/news/mma/20...rt/index.shtml

I would like to see that fight.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #434
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

UFC announces four grappling superfights for Fan Expo 2009

While it may be of little solace to heartbroken Limp Bizkit fans, grappling enthusiasts will be thrilled to learn of the UFC's latest addition to the organization's first-ever fan expo.

While Limp Bizkit recently canceled their previously scheduled concert, Bill Cooper, Ulysses Gomez, Jeff Glover, Vinicius Magalhaes, Fredson Paixao, Rumina Sato and Joe Stevenson will take part in grappling superfights as part of the weekend's Grapplers Quest tournament.

The UFC Fan Expo 2009, held in conjunction with UFC 100, takes place July 10 and 11 at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas.
UFC announces four grappling superfights for Fan Expo 2009 in Las Vegas

On Friday, July 10, "The Ultimate Fighter 8" cast member Magalhaes will meet an opponent yet to be determined. While Magalhaes has struggled recently in MMA contests, "Pezao" is an eight-time medalist at the Brazilian jiu-jitsu world championships.

That day's main event will see Gomez, a four-time Palace Fighting Championship veteran and multiple-time grappling champion, meet Shooto legend and 40-fight MMA veteran Sato.

On Saturday, WEC contender and four-time Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion Paixao meets 22-time Grapplers Quest champion Glover.

Additionally, UFC lightweight contender Stevenson, who recently defeated Nate Diaz on the main card of June's The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale, meets Cooper, a 22-year-old jiu-jitsu black belt that has earned 24 Grapplers Quest titles.

The grappling superfights are just one of several activities including autograph opportunities, training sessions and product demonstrations available during the fan expo.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15380/ufc-...-las-vegas.mma

Sounds like a win/win to me. No whining Fred Durst and grappling.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #435
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

VR

WHOA!

Big news here on CroCop

An unprecedented move

Oh and Tito wants to fight Fedor....here
What a tool!
Old 07-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #436
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
WHOA!

Big news here on CroCop

An unprecedented move

Oh and Tito wants to fight Fedor....here
What a tool!
Holy chit! I bet Dana is hot about that!

Tito = yesterday's news
I hope they do fight just to see Fedor rip him a new one.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #437
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Bobby Lashley vs. Don Frye in September!!

Lashley, who trains with American Top Team, told the Sherdog Radio Networks Beatdown show he wants to fight twice more in 2009, with the next bout in late August or September. MMA pioneer Don Frye told Fight Network Radio hes in negotiations to fight Lashley, who revealed plans earlier this year to compete inside the Florida-based Extreme Fighting Championship promotion in September.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #438
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

One was perhaps the greatest light heavyweight of all-time, a feared striker who ruled the 205-pound weight class with an iron right hand and in doing so became mixed martial arts first crossover superstar.

The other was his close friend, a visionary who helped create a brand that is now synonymous with the sport, but who did it not with a ruthless business sense, but with an infectious enthusiasm and an attitude that could light up a room.

On Friday, July 10th, the UFC Hall of Fame inducts its two newest members, former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell and TapouT co-founder, the late, Charles "Mask" Lewis.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=20983
Old 07-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #439
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Cant wait for this weekends event!

UFC Heavyweight Championship
Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir Hopefully Mir can win again

UFC Welterweight Championship
Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves Love the Pitbull!

Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping Can't stand Bisping!
Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher
Stephan Bonnar vs. Mark Coleman
Jim Miller vs. Mac Danzig
Dong Hyun Kim vs. T.J. Grant
Jon Jones vs. Jake O’Brien
CB Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor
Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty

Its going to be a great night of fighting!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #440
TriStar
Smokes, let's go.

Trading: (1)
TriStar is on a distinguished road

Can't wait either! Sickest card ever

Here's my picks:

UFC Heavyweight Championship
Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir - Cheering for Mir, but Brock is the type of guy who will hold the title for a long time.

UFC Welterweight Championship
Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves - Have to go with the hometown boy as always

Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping Can't stand Bisping, but I feel an upset...
Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher
Stephan Bonnar vs. Mark Coleman
Jim Miller vs. Mac Danzig
Dong Hyun Kim vs. T.J. Grant
Jon Jones vs. Jake O’Brien
CB Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor
Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty