Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough
Default Computer issues... I am teh stumped!

I have a system that is around three years old, and I have had various problems with it from the start. All of these problems except for one minor one seem to come in clusters.

Here are my hardware specs

Motherboard: Asus P5B
CPU Intel Core 2 duo 6600 @2.4 gig stock cooling
Ram 4 MB GSkill PC2 6400
Video Card evga Nvidia GForce 8800GTS 640MB
Hard drive 400GB western Digital SATA 3GB/sec
PSU 700 Watt OCZ Game extreme (recently died replaced with a corsair TX650 Watt)

When I got the computer it was DOA. It would turn on but it wouldn't feed any video signal. Sent it back, and when I got it back it inexclipably worked. The PC builder was as stumped as I was. Fast forward six months to late 2007. I started getting periods where the system would freeze/crash along with a few scattered disk read/corrupt windows errors. I took it into the local shop where they said it was a motherboard problem, and replaced the motherboard. No more problems. Pretty much rock solid except for one small problem.

Fast forward two and a half years. Today the computer slows down and just about hard freezes, it wont restart. I click the power supply off and restart it. I get a brief blue screen error and a reboot. Then I get another error about a corrupt windows, and it needing the windows disk. I again restart it and it blue screen with a "disk read" error.

I figure "Hey the hard drives dead" so I pull the hard drive and start the RMA process. I then replace the hard drive and it boots into windows with absolutely no issue. I do a scan disk. And the hard drive seems to scan perfectly. No issue. I am teh stumped! I am posting from the computer now and I have no issue.

One extra caveat that may or may not be relevant. For the three years I have owned the computer, through both motherboards it seems like maybe once every few days, I get no video when the rest of the computer boots. I have to turn the computer off/on at the power supply to get video working again. Its odd. But it doesen't really bother me.

So. Is this the motherboard, the hard drive or something completely else?

If I do have to replace the MB what do you guys recommend that would be compatable with my current hardware yet upgradable in the future as I plan to do?
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Re: Computer issues... I am teh stumped!

Bad bearing?
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Initially, it sounds like your hard drive is crapping out on you with bad sectors. However, if a surface scan shows no bad sectors?????? then possibly not the hard drive, though that would still seem to fit the symptoms. Is the RAM is one or two chips? if two, try removing one, then the other. I've had bad RAM do throw some funky problems, especially emulating a flaky HD. I'm assuming no funny noises coming from system while operating (like a bearing going out), else you'd have mentioned it.

Only other suggestion; maybe a software issue (hate to use the V word, but) in the form of a virus?

Good luck, it's frustrating!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

David,

Some of the first Asus P58 board's were shipped with the wrong Intel chipset which resulted in a ton of different problems. Seems you got one of them. Check with the Asus site and see if they have any updates for the board to include the bios.

That EVGA 8800 GTS should be a solid performer. The box I am using now has two of them installed. Make sure that the power plug is in fact using a 6 pin connector and not a 4 pin. Maybe remove and reset the board to make sure it is fully set.

Your memory requires a 1.9v which should be no problem as that board will run on 1.8v to 2.0v. Check though that it is set to at least 1.9v and your timing is either 5-5-5 or 6-6-6. You may also want to have your local shop test those chips. Alternately you can download this Microsoft program and test it yourself:

Memory Test

Check the fan on the CPU - faulty fan with overheating can do weird things.

Can't think of much else at the moment -

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Could be power supply issue or current to the PC.

Needing the windows disk is usually an error loading a file into memory from either a bad DIMM or corrupt file.

How does the PC work when using a CD based OS?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:23 AM   #6
nayslayer
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Larry
Trading: (0)
nayslayer is on a distinguished road

Funky power supplies can sometimes cause wacky errors. Buy a decent one.
nayslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:25 AM   #7
Knip23
Keep It Simple

First Name: Destrey
Trading: (10)
HUpmann Army (Active)
Knip23 is on a distinguished road

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...5&Sku=B69-4086 this is what i reccomend if you have to replace the MB there are others on this website but for the price and power you cant beat it. I have had this one in my PC for about 2 yrs and havent had any problems out of if. and as far as your hard drive problem if you have a External hard drive put an operating system on it and try booting your system useing external drive. if it works then i would either be your MB. If you need something shoot me a PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Well, at 3 years old, I'd replace it unless it's hopped up for gaming. The HD has 3 years of the mechanial running and as others noted it may have sectors starting to go bad. Any 1/2 way decent MOBO is $125 or better with the rest of the componets at 3 years use. If you have a bad stick of RAM cheap enough to replace if you can prove it's bad. If the OS load has never been reloaded it's way over due.

Even a basic Dell is only $450 (many were cheaper than this one) for the basic office/school and internet surfing. And oh by the way at least 1 year warranty. I would think hard about dumping $$$ in a 3 year old box without knowing the exact problem. Reuse your monitor to save $$$.

PS - Not pushing Dell, just the easist to pull up numbers for.

Inspiron 580s
Powerful Desktop with a Stylish Look in a Slim Design
Intel® Pentium® G6950 processor(3MB Cache, 2.80GHz)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
320GB2 - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
No Monitor
Microsoft® Works 9 (Does not include Microsoft Word)

Intel® Pentium® G6950 processor(3MB Cache, 2.80GHz)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
320GB2 - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
No Monitor
Microsoft® Works 9 (Does not include Microsoft Word)
Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
nayslayer
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Larry
Trading: (0)
nayslayer is on a distinguished road

Volt has a great point, backup your stuff, and get a new one, let the tech have your box for his time.
nayslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I haven't read all the other advice, but based on the first post I would buy a second hard drive, & temporarily remove the original one. Next, run a fresh install of Windows on the new drive. Plug in the old drive as a secondary, and move your data over.

If your MB and/or previous HDD were bad it could have cause corruption in some core Windows files. This is the cheapest and quickest way to get it back to a working state without losing your data.

Mike
Old 03-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough

I havent had an issue with the computer since I posted this. I had this problem before and it was the MB. I want to get a fresh copy of Windows 7 to go with the new hard drive, then upgrade the MB then the processor and the video card.
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote