Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
BTcigars will become famous soon enough
Default PG Cigars

I was wondering what people's thoughts and opinions are on Paul Garmirian cigars are. Especially concerning the quality of construction.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PG Cigars

I've had a few of the maduros and they are top notch sticks...great construction, great flavor...just a little too high priced for me.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

PG's construction is impeccable, for the most part. Sure you may find some that have a problem but that happens with all cigars. They are really good cigars that are either overlooked or not available.

Paul Garmirian doesn't advertise at all. He thinks that a good cigar shouldn't need advertising and he may be on to something because his cigars have been around awhile in a very competitive market.

I really like the Reserva Exclusiva line, especially the lancero.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Never even heard of them.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
DonniePaul
It's Cigar O' Clock!

First Name: Don
Trading: (4)
DonniePaul is on a distinguished road

My wife brought one of these home for me a while back and I have had my eye on it lately. Glad to hear a bit about it.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I had a couple puffs off a Bombone. It was fantastic.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Paul Garmirian doesn't advertise at all. He thinks that a good cigar shouldn't need advertising and he may be on to something because his cigars have been around awhile in a very competitive market.
He's been around like 20 years and is big name I would put up with Fuente, Davidoff, Dunhill, or Zino. Older brand that probably caters to the same group for many years. A worth cigar to try. He does not need to advertise for the niche he is in.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Yeah, he's been around for a while. My buddy use to carry his line back in the 90s but they just became too expensive and no one bought them.

Not sure which PG I smoked but, it was the lancero, and it was great.

BT, if you are looking for some, I know that Tobacco Republic carries them, or use to carry them. I'm sure you already knew that though.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Never even heard of them.

I dunno, maybe it's me but when I've never heard of a brand and they are charging nearly $300 a box something is wrong.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Impeccably rolled sticks. I have had my share and never had one that had issues because of the roll.

As for what they're worth? I am smoked crap from $250 -> to $500 boxes of cigars, well-known cigars. Advertised the snot out of dog rockets. Just because everybody's heard of them doesn't make them good.

PGs are incredible smokes. If I could afford them, I'd buy more of them, in a heartbeat. Well worth the coin.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

I think they are top notch cigars. The ones I have had have always burned great and the flavors where spot on. I just have a hard time finding them and the price is sometimes painful. That being said it is a cigar that lives up to the price IMO.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

If you call the store in Northern Va. you will probably talk to his son.
A good cigar but not my thing.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Everyone I've had has been outstanding!

Huy mentioned the lancero!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
BTcigars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
Yeah, he's been around for a while. My buddy use to carry his line back in the 90s but they just became too expensive and no one bought them.

Not sure which PG I smoked but, it was the lancero, and it was great.

BT, if you are looking for some, I know that Tobacco Republic carries them, or use to carry them. I'm sure you already knew that though.
Hi Huy. I actually have several sticks sitting in my humi. The reason why I posted this was because the other day I had a Symphony 20 and it was terrific at the beginning then just absolutely took a turn for the worst in the last third. Luckily I have another one of these Symphony 20's so I am just going to sit on it for a while.

Also, Kevork Garmirian is a great guy and very approachable so people should feel free to email or call him in regards to trying something and he will help you select something that suits your taste.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
amsgpwarrior
amsgpwarrior

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
amsgpwarrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post

I dunno, maybe it's me but when I've never heard of a brand and they are charging nearly $300 a box something is wrong.
Paul Garmirian has been in the cigar game for a long time. He has loads of aged tobacco that he puts into his cigars. That is why he can charge what he charges for his cigars. Plus he has some of the most respectable people in the game working on his blends and construction. Just because you have never heard of him and his cigars doesn't mean you should bypass his stuff cause that would be a huge mistake.

I wrote a review today about the PG Symphony 20, which was a super good cigar. Easily one of the best I've smoked in the last year.

Just a warning, these cigars are not for beginners. They are stout, and pack a punch.
amsgpwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

PG's are in the same group as Oscar; not talked about at all by the current generation of cigar smokers.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

I wandered into his store the other day after finding it by chance while working in the area. I had never heard of him or the brand. His stick did seem a little pricey. After hearing some thoughts on hear I may try to pick up a couple the next time up that way.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
PG's are in the same group as Oscar; not talked about at all by the current generation of cigar smokers.
Abso-frickin-lutely.

His sticks can hold their own with the uber-premiums easily.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
I had never heard of him or the brand. His stick did seem a little pricey.
I assume they were in between Ashton and Davidoff prices?

It's got to be at least 15 years since I smoked a PG. You got me interested and will check my local B&M if he has them.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #20
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsgpwarrior View Post
Paul Garmirian has been in the cigar game for a long time. He has loads of aged tobacco that he puts into his cigars. That is why he can charge what he charges for his cigars. Plus he has some of the most respectable people in the game working on his blends and construction. Just because you have never heard of him and his cigars doesn't mean you should bypass his stuff cause that would be a huge mistake. I wrote a review today about the PG Symphony 20, which was a super good cigar. Easily one of the best I've smoked in the last year.

Just a warning, these cigars are not for beginners. They are stout, and pack a punch.
My point was, if I've never heard of them, by default I bypass them. See? They could be the greatest thing since creamed corn but if I've never heard of them, I'm living in ignorant bliss without them.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote