Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #41
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone seriosuly looking at the new DROID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan410 View Post
I ditched my BB Curve and got the Droid Friday. Still putting it through its paces but so far I like it.
If you just need a no nonsense phone the BB was great.
I like gadgets so I went with the Droid. The keyboard isn't that bad. Not a BB, but not bad.
Vince, any chance you would put a trial of Picsay imaging on your Droid and give us a FINAL verdict on if the hardware supports multitouch?
Old 11-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #42
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/02/g...deo/#continued

""the US version of the user interface lacks multi-touch features like pinch-to-zoom even though the underlying 2.0 OS supports multitouch events.""

The wording of this one here seems to suggest that the OS still supports multitouch, but google was not going to take on apple by including any applications in the stock UI that used it. If someone else *cough* wants to make an app that uses it, have fun
Old 11-08-2009, 01:53 AM   #43
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Vince, any chance you would put a trial of Picsay imaging on your Droid and give us a FINAL verdict on if the hardware supports multitouch?
who cares if some picture app has multitouch? the phone/os can support multitouch but currently does not on useful things such as the virtual keyboard. And browser doesn't currently have pinch zoom, although both are a software update away
Old 11-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #44
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
who cares if some picture app has multitouch? the phone/os can support multitouch but currently does not on useful things such as the virtual keyboard. And browser doesn't currently have pinch zoom, although both are a software update away
That is the exact point I was trying to prove, seems like some of the "official" talk is that its not built into the hardware at all. I think that's a load of cow dung.... but nevertheless it seems a tad concerning, because I WANT that possibility of a software update sometime in the future when *cough* Google stops tiptoeing around Apple.

(and yeah, some picture app with multitouch... yawn, don't care )
Old 11-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #45
Titan410
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Vince
Trading: (26)
Titan410 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sure. I just did and it does pinch support multitouch.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #46
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan410 View Post
Sure. I just did and it does pinch support multitouch.
Woohoo, Thanks Vince!!

That means we probably WILL get a better browser experience in the future. That makes me very very happy.... and all but seals up the fact that I'm getting that phone in the next 48 hours!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #47
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Uncle Owen, this R2 unit has a bad motivator.

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #48
Titan410
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Vince
Trading: (26)
Titan410 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Woohoo, Thanks Vince!!

That means we probably WILL get a better browser experience in the future. That makes me very very happy.... and all but seals up the fact that I'm getting that phone in the next 48 hours!
NP
Old 11-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #49
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Great info in here guys! My wife is due for a new phone next month and she wants an iPhone. I have one though and I'm so sick and tired of all the dropped calls. I suggested the Droid as an alternative and the wife really likes the idea of the keyboard the phone has. Plus, she gets to stay with Verizon which is a huge plus.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #50
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
Great info in here guys! My wife is due for a new phone next month and she wants an iPhone. I have one though and I'm so sick and tired of all the dropped calls. I suggested the Droid as an alternative and the wife really likes the idea of the keyboard the phone has. Plus, she gets to stay with Verizon which is a huge plus.
Make sure she checks out the Eris. I think the Eris is closer to an iPhone like product than the Droid. The Eris will also have a MUCH better user experience right out of the box. And as for the keyboard... Droid keyboard =
Old 11-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #51
gpugliese
B.Y.O.B.

First Name: Greg
Trading: (13)
HUpmann
gpugliese will become famous soon enough

I'm considering the Droid, but not looking forward to dropping $100+ a month on service. I have an unlocked original iPhone on T Mobile that I pay $50 /month. Granted, it's EDGE and slow, but I'm not sure if it's worth twice the monthly premium.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #52
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpugliese View Post
I'm considering the Droid, but not looking forward to dropping $100+ a month on service. I have an unlocked original iPhone on T Mobile that I pay $50 /month. Granted, it's EDGE and slow, but I'm not sure if it's worth twice the monthly premium.
$100+?

are you getting a family plan?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #53
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Make sure she checks out the Eris. I think the Eris is closer to an iPhone like product than the Droid. The Eris will also have a MUCH better user experience right out of the box. And as for the keyboard... Droid keyboard =
The Eris is a nice phone... I played around with it before I got a Droid, and if you don't care about the physical keyboard and don't need the extra power of the Droid, I'd go for it. However, I don't think I'd be comfortable saying it is closer to an iPhone. Maybe in the overall shape and the fact that it only has a virtual keyboard, but as far as power, speed, etc.... the droid has the Eris beat.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #54
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
The Eris is a nice phone... I played around with it before I got a Droid, and if you don't care about the physical keyboard and don't need the extra power of the Droid, I'd go for it. However, I don't think I'd be comfortable saying it is closer to an iPhone. Maybe in the overall shape and the fact that it only has a virtual keyboard, but as far as power, speed, etc.... the droid has the Eris beat.
I was referring more to the fact that the Eris has a polished interface that will work just fine right out of the box, and the Droid will require some "tweaking". Sounds like for Mikey's wife, the out-of-the-box functionality might be a plus
Old 11-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #55
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

"looking" no more for me! just picked up my new Droid!
Old 11-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #56
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
I was referring more to the fact that the Eris has a polished interface that will work just fine right out of the box, and the Droid will require some "tweaking". Sounds like for Mikey's wife, the out-of-the-box functionality might be a plus
I'm sure there will be a software update in the near future....but I have been fairly lucky with not hitting very many bugs. But absolutely, the Eris is an nice phone, and if you like HTC and the sense UI, go for it!
Old 11-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #57
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
I'm sure there will be a software update in the near future....but I have been fairly lucky with not hitting very many bugs. But absolutely, the Eris is an nice phone, and if you like HTC and the sense UI, go for it!
I love HTC and Sense UI.... but like you, I'm not willing to compromise the hardware! I got the Moto Droid because its got a beautiful screen, fast CPU, and SHOULD be working well a few years from now.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:40 AM   #58
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I love HTC and Sense UI.... but like you, I'm not willing to compromise the hardware! I got the Moto Droid because its got a beautiful screen, fast CPU, and SHOULD be working well a few years from now.
Keep us updated Francis and Jim. I can upgrade in March. I'm hoping by then all the bugs are fixed and a decent selection of apps are out.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #59
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

The camera sucks ass. They hyped up that it is 5 MP (although MP really don't matter after a certain extent and I hate that companies and best buy use this as the 1 major thing to look for) but I'm still hoping it is software related and not a problem with the camera itself....only time will tell.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #60
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

I checked it out on Saturday, and found out I'm do for an upgrade on the 12th. I will be getting the Droid.