Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Troops Room

Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough
Default Son looking at military...advice please

My son Michael and I met with a couple of Army recruiters this evening with Air Force coming later this week. He scored a 93 on the pre-ASVAB and is weighing options.

The program he would really like to be involved with is the UAV piloting program...Army position 15W. He is still 17, a senior in high school. PT shouldn't be an issue. He's a varsity wrestler..6'3" 165 lbs.

Looking for advice, pointers, opinions etc.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Son looking at military...advice please

Has he looked into applying to any of the Academies? Cutoff time for applying is sometime in February I believe. Certainly nothing wrong with enlisting, as some of my closest mentors here at CGA are enlisted. But if he's got what it takes to make it in of them, it's four years of payed for education, plus a monthly stipend. Plus he will receive his commission as an officer after graduation. I wish him luck with whatever he decides. I personally think military is a great life choice, and I'm very happy that this is what I have decided to pursue after high school. Even if he doesn't want to stay in forever, I'm sure it'll set him up for a great job after serving.

Also, ROTC scholarships are another great option too. Again, nothing wrong at all with enlisting, but just offering what I know since I went through, and was accepted into, four different applications (USNA, USCGA, USMMA, and Navy ROTC). If he decides to look into that, I'd be more than happy to help him through it.

Last edited by RobR1205; 10-29-2012 at 08:29 PM.
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

becoming an officer would be the best choice. If he wants to enlist, I would say that the Air Force is the best choice. With scores like that he can do anything he wants. Tell him to look into becoming an enlisted flyer. any enlisted flying job will raise his quality of life in the AF dramatically. I could go on and on, If you guys have any questions please feel free to PM me for my number and we can chat.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Tell him there are "Asvab Prep" courses and practice tests online that can get nearly anyone a 99, which means your choice of enlisted job. Make sure he knows what he's getting into. I met so many people in the Navy that weren't as prepared as they thought they were for the realities of head scrubbing, group punishment, total discipline, etc. Those people end up hating their lives and drinking a lot.

You might have heard this before, probably will again, but don't listen to the recruiters. Independent research is key! I can't say too much about the Army but in the Navy it's "Choose your rate, Choose your fate." single biggest decision you make is your job, and he should know absolutely everything about the job he'll be doing before he joins up.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Research is Key. Don't listen to anything the recruiter tells you. they don't know any more about the jobs you're asking about than you do.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
Research is Key. Don't listen to anything the recruiter tells you. they don't know any more about the jobs you're asking about than you do.
+1 Had a friend or 2 make this mistake... Also I would say really look at those academies... I went to regular college and came out 60,000 in the hole... wish I had joined up and went to an academy instead...
Old 10-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

15W So he would be flying the Raven SUAS Small Unmanned Air Survaliance. A newer MOS. I was forced to go the a three week class when we first got these to learn how to fly them an they where a lot of fun. I think its a great program to get into but he may want to consider college and then joining the Air Force to work with their UAV programs. I will have you guys in my prayers. It is great to see young troopers still wanting to join up right after school.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

If he wants to fly UAVS it would be best to do AIR FORCE. Yes i am in the Army telling you to go Air Core. Officer is the way to go. Yes college makes it longer before you get a paycheck (look in to the Guard until he grads. There are guards for every branch), but i have a brand new officer that makes $100 less then i do a month, I have been in over 7 years. Make sure the recruiter doesn't fast talk him. Make sure it is all in the contract. And he doesn't sign unless he gets what he wants. When he goes to MEPS he will most likely be told that he has already committed. This is BS!!! If you tell him anything from me let it be this. TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY. The military doesn't give two sharts about your body.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

My advice:

Old 10-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
becoming an officer would be the best choice. If he wants to enlist, I would say that the Air Force is the best choice. With scores like that he can do anything he wants.
This...
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
This x2

But as an added bonus, a recruiter is the single most skilled manipulator of the english language
that exists on the planet. One cannot be too careful with one's signature in their presence.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
AirForce (Active)
JohnRogers is on a distinguished road

I'm a 17 year weather forecaster enlisted guy who has done and is currently doing Army support. What service depends on him a lot. A young Army troop is going to have a more regimented life. Leadership is accountable for more bodies so a bit more controlling. In the Air Force less so but also less Hoo-Ahh in mission excitement. Out in the fleet travel is great but be ready to live in close quarters. All of this is generalities with exceptions depending on what "job" he gets. So like others said research is key

Gonna echo what others have said. The recruiter is the military car salesman. The boy's life is more important than a car purchase yet think about all the research one does before buying a new ride. I'm not hating on recruiters I seriously thought about doing it a few years ago.

Service academies are great opportunities to pursue. There is much to be said about going the officer route. On the other hand some people are ready to be done with school for while although there is always a school after BMT. So if he is pumped for going right back to the classroom pursue one avenue. If he wants to get to work right away lean enlisted.

The captain I'm currently working with here in Kuwait is a sharp guy, former enlisted forecaster. He is very likely going into pilot training after this deployment. One of my close friends was medical group guy I forget the details of his boring former occupation. He is currently a disk jockey in Afghanistan for AFN radio. My point is one can make changes after being in a while. Of course it is best to set it up right from the start. Pick the "job" and sign for it don't wait till basic training is the best advice.
JohnRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Advice I gave my daughter was go into the Air force, I wanted a better chance of her coming back home. I also agree that Officer is the better way to go.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Being a retired First Sergeant in the Army for 23+ years...best advice is for him to do a ton of research. Recruiters are there to do a job...put numbers in the services. Have him be a bit selective and have a list of MOS's (jobs) written down that he's researched and wants to do. Nothing worse than coming into a service to do a job that you won't enjoy. Also, make sure it is a job that has a civilian counterpart..so when his time in the service is over, he can start a second career in the civilian sector. While a lot of combat arms MOS's have a huge bonus and are a very important part of the military, life after the service is very limited with that skill set.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
^This

Recruiters lie. If a recruiter says something and it's not written in the contract, it won't happen.

BTW, did I mention recruiters lie?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Also, make sure it is a job that has a civilian counterpart..so when his time in the service is over, he can start a second career in the civilian sector.
Winner!
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Recruiters are like used car sales men. Their job is to sell the product. Your job is to know what you want and not let them talk you into the lemon they need to get off the lot.
I was in the Navy and knew where I was going. My husband was in the Army first and bought into the recuiter and was put in the infintry. He then got into the Navy and had a direction, the training he got he now uses as a business owner.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
^This

Recruiters lie. If a recruiter says something and it's not written in the contract, it won't happen.

BTW, did I mention recruiters lie?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all of your input. We have a lot to think about. He really is sold on the UAV program but really doesn't care which branch he serves in. Thank you for all of the honest advice. I will make sure we do our homework. The recruiters we met with yesterday were good guys...both Airborne, both with lots of experience. By the end of the discussion, both of them were in agreement that a Bachelor's degree was a necessary thing. Both of them were currently working on it as well because they realized that without it, they were limiting themselves both in and out of the Army.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted as things progress. We are not rushing anything...regardless of how excited the recruiters get.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #20
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
a Bachelor's degree was a necessary thing
Definitely check out the service academies as well as ROTC scholarships. The Navy is paying my son's tuition and his school kicked in room & board to make it a full boat scholarship. Plus he gets $750- per year for books AND he gets a monthly stipend from the Navy: $250-/mo as a Freshman, $300-/mo as a Sophomore.

When he graduates in a couple years, he'll be an Ensign.

ROTC gives him the best of both worlds -- guarantee of commissioning as an officer upon graduation while enjoying a fairly typical civilian college experience.

Good luck in whatever he decides to do!