Old 07-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #81
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough
Default Re: World Cup Banter

Well, it's been over 24hrs now. There's been no futbol today so I've been processing the US loss to Belgium. Some thoughts:
  • The better team won.
  • Howard made 16 saves, a World Cup record! Problem is, he shouldn't have had to work so damn hard.
  • Donovan should have been in the roster. This became especially clear once Altidore was injured and Dempsey was forced to play alone up top.
  • Bradley was not at his best. Here again, we could've used Donovan's creativity in the middle.
  • Our back line was super nervy. Gonzales was generally great. Cameron was generally not.
  • In MLS, Zusi is known for his great crosses and corners. Where were those?
  • Jones and Dempsey are both BEASTS.
  • Green and Yedlin were bright spots.
Our boys played with tons of heart. Battered and broken they never quit. I'm extraordinarily proud of them for that.

On the other side of the coin, I'm sure that even the casual observer can see we need to breakthrough to a higher level if we're ever going to be world-beaters.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #82
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mjdx88 is on a distinguished road

I couldn't agree more. I felt the play was very sloppy on our side with tons of missed opportunities.

This I think will be a great lesson, and will only help us in the long run to become a better team. I loved all the heart the team put into the match in the final minutes, I couldnt have asked for a better match.
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #83
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

I agree with everything except for the Donovan stuff. I really think keeping him off the roster was the right thing to do.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #84
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsetGO View Post
I agree with everything except for the Donovan stuff. I really think keeping him off the roster was the right thing to do.
+1
Old 07-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #85
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I agree with several point that Dave made. However ...

Donovan was left out. Woulda, coulda and shoulda. Personally, I do not think that the presence of one person could have changed that game.

The US played below their capability. They have conditioning and defense on their side, but where was it? The injury was huge, but a good coach plans for at least one catastrophe each game.

Howard did not play any different than he has played in the BPL. That he was so much beyond the rest of the team is the lesson that should be learned. MLS is not! on the level of the rest of the world.

I do not have a solution to the problem that I just mentioned, but I am a Portland Timbers supporter

At the end of the day, it could have been 5-0 at the end of regulation, but was not. The fans were treated to world class defense by Howard and some amazing efforts by the rest of the US team. That the Belgium team did not have to play beyond their ability is a testament to their ability, not a slight to the US.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #86
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
I agree with several point that Dave made. However ...

Donovan was left out. Woulda, coulda and shoulda. Personally, I do not think that the presence of one person could have changed that game.

The US played below their capability. They have conditioning and defense on their side, but where was it? The injury was huge, but a good coach plans for at least one catastrophe each game.

Howard did not play any different than he has played in the BPL. That he was so much beyond the rest of the team is the lesson that should be learned. MLS is not! on the level of the rest of the world.

I do not have a solution to the problem that I just mentioned, but I am a Portland Timbers supporter

At the end of the day, it could have been 5-0 at the end of regulation, but was not. The fans were treated to world class defense by Howard and some amazing efforts by the rest of the US team. That the Belgium team did not have to play beyond their ability is a testament to their ability, not a slight to the US.
I agree with most of what you posted, Mark. But one point I strongly disagree with is in regard to our defense. IMO, the US defense (not goalkeeping) is the weak point of the team. They are nowhere near the level of the best teams in Europe and South America.

As for Donovan, I think it was a risky/gutsy call that Klinsmann made to leave him off the squad. The injury to Altidore hurt more without Donovan to pick up the slack. But I think Klinsmann made the right choice.

Yedlin was impressive and will only get better.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #87
jpb437

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
IMO, the US defense (not goalkeeping) is the weak point of the team. They are nowhere near the level of the best teams in Europe and South America.
+1 From what I saw the US defense was not up to world standards throughout the tournament. I don't think the team ever believed they could win so until they had nothing to loose they didn't give it everything they had. With that said however they did a great job.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #88
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Happy 4th everyone, big games today! Two countries that love each other Germany v France! Down the Jersey Shore stuck inside from Hurricane Arthur, hope we keep power!! Columbia v Brazil should be very interesting as well!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #89
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Gonna watch some great futbol and put a couple of racks of baby backs on the smoker.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #90
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
Gonna watch some great futbol and put a couple of racks of baby backs on the smoker.
Add to what Peter said a couple of good cigars, you've got the best day EVER.

Good matches on today too.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #91
pnoon
YNWA

RA

To be honest, I thought the France/Germany match was dull.

Brazil/Colombia was high energy and entertaining.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #92
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
To be honest, I thought the France/Germany match was dull.

Brazil/Colombia was high energy and entertaining.
Agreed.

You know, now that Neymar's World Cup is over due to a fractured vertebra, and let's face it, Brazil weren't looking invincible anyway, I think there's a good chance Germany knocks 'em out on Tuesday.

Peter, it's a shame we live on opposite coasts. I'd have liked to drop in on you yesterday to introduce myself in person after all these years... and see if you needed any help operating that smoker.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #93
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCuts View Post
Agreed.

You know, now that Neymar's World Cup is over due to a fractured vertebra, and let's face it, Brazil weren't looking invincible anyway, I think there's a good chance Germany knocks 'em out on Tuesday.

Peter, it's a shame we live on opposite coasts. I'd have liked to drop in on you yesterday to introduce myself in person after all these years... and see if you needed any help operating that smoker.
We will make it happen one day, David. I would love to share a smoke, a beverage, some smoked food, and conversation.

I do make it back to southern Connecticut now and then. I grew up there and still have extended family there.

Looks like Suarez is headed to Barca.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #94
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann
Thumbs up Re: World Cup Banter

Quote:
We will make it happen one day, David. I would love to share a smoke, a beverage, some smoked food, and conversation.

I do make it back to southern Connecticut now and then. I grew up there and still have extended family there.
Peter, this would be nothing short of amazing. It'd be surreal, really.

Quote:
Looks like Suarez is headed to Barca.
If the move is finalized, how would you feel about him going? Big boots to fill.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #95
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCuts View Post
Peter, this would be nothing short of amazing. It'd be surreal, really.

If the move is finalized, how would you feel about him going? Big boots to fill.
World class striker. Tough to lose that. But Liverpool has lots of talent and the huge transfer fee can be used for other players.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #96
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

Wow!! Hard fought game. I don't think the best team won.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #97
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

I heard Balotelli and Huntelaar are both being lined up as a Suarez replacement! YNWA!!!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #98
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
I heard Balotelli and Huntelaar are both being lined up as a Suarez replacement! YNWA!!!
Balotelli is a huge talent but a real head case. Huntelaar would be cool.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #99
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Say, is there a game today?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #100
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I heard some co-workers talking about Brazil, but I figured they were just getting bikini-waxed.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote