Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #81
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New England Patriots

There was one interesting hypothesis floated on the 98.5 (Masshole's know this station) where someone said the balls could've been filled with very hot air to pressure, measured by NFL and then when the temp drops (or normalizes), they are under inflated. In doing this, the Pats did not "break a rule" as they were filled to the correct temp and not deflated or altered before the game. The bladder and leather are thick enough where the refs would not know the air inside was heated...
Old 01-24-2015, 07:34 AM   #82
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Thats possible but very unlikely. To get pressure changes of what is being rumored the air temp would need to drop 100 degrees or more.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #83
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
Trading: (0)
8zeros will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
There was one interesting hypothesis floated on the 98.5 (Masshole's know this station) where someone said the balls could've been filled with very hot air to pressure, measured by NFL and then when the temp drops (or normalizes), they are under inflated. In doing this, the Pats did not "break a rule" as they were filled to the correct temp and not deflated or altered before the game. The bladder and leather are thick enough where the refs would not know the air inside was heated...
A 10% pressure change would take a 10% temperature change or a 10% volume change. Or some combination.
P=V/T , T is *K (absolute)
Maybe the leather was dried out so that it stretched a bit as it rehumidified.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #84
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
8zeros will become famous soon enough

PS. I did the math. It turns out that a drop 85*F would do it. Less if the balls stretched for some reason. I don't think this is likely.

If only people cared so much about laws being broken by people who enforce the laws against them. (IRS)
Old 01-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #85
dijit
Have My Own Room

dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

The ratio equations I found show .10% +/- for every 10% in degrees C.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #86
dijit
Have My Own Room

I still dont think it affected the outcome of the game very much.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #87
dvickery
Team of 1

First Name: derrek
dvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura about

In the CFL ... The offense supplies the game ( in use ) balls ... Your offense your private/personal balls ... Other teams offense = their balls .

Problem solved .

Derrek
Old 01-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #88
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvickery View Post
In the CFL ... The offense supplies the game ( in use ) balls ... Your offense your private/personal balls ... Other teams offense = their balls .

Problem solved .

Derrek
We can learn much from our neighbors to the north. Poutine should have taught us that lesson long ago.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #89
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

200 degree hot air, 40 degree playing temperature is quite swing and could be enough to do the trick. A pure oxygen would also permeate through the bladder faster than normal air.

Would 140 degree temperature swing be enough to deflate the balls?
Old 01-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #90
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvickery View Post

Problem solved .

Derrek
I believe if I am reading this correctly this is what we do here, the patriots supply the balls for the patriots offense and the colts supplied the balls for the colts offense, this is how every game is and why it's such a big deal and "unfair advantage" to the Patriots because the balls they were playing with (giggle) were easier to grip / throw and catch, specially in that weather.

Or did I read something wrong there, my comprehension is just above wino this morning.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #91
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I believe if I am reading this correctly this is what we do here, the patriots supply the balls for the patriots offense and the colts supplied the balls for the colts offense, this is how every game is and why it's such a big deal and "unfair advantage" to the Patriots because the balls they were playing with (giggle) were easier to grip / throw and catch, specially in that weather.

Or did I read something wrong there, my comprehension is just above wino this morning.
You read it correctly, he typed it poorly. I had to read it 3 or 4 times to figure out what he means...

In that league, the home team provides the game balls for BOTH teams offenses. ie - a single set of game balls everyone uses

In our league, each team brings their own set. ie - two sets of game balls, one for each offensive unit
Old 01-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #92
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Yes, each team currently uses their own balls. Interestingly, the change was spearheaded by P. Manning and Brady back in 2006. I kind of remember it being referred to then as the Manning/Brady Rule. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...d-deflategame/

IMHO, if Brady is so adamant about how his balls feel, he would have noticed they were 2lbs under inflated...imagine a pro golfer being handed a different driver than they use every day. They would notice it in a second.

I predict a severe penalty after the Super Bowl, Belecheck getting suspended, possibly (but unlikely) Brady, draft pick(s) and fines. Too big of a story and second time getting caught.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #93
dijit
Have My Own Room

I predict they will lose the third round draft pick and the team will be fined something under $100 k. So basically a slap on the wrists. That the team will barely notice. Not even as severe as the last time.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #94
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Thinking further on this, I have concluded that were I Brady and married to Gisele, my balls would be deflated also.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #95
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
200 degree hot air, 40 degree playing temperature is quite swing and could be enough to do the trick. A pure oxygen would also permeate through the bladder faster than normal air.

Would 140 degree temperature swing be enough to deflate the balls?
I read that balls inflated at 68ºF to 13.5 psi will read 11.6psi at 32ºF but that wasn't the temperature at game time. I read an article where the reporter spoke with a former NFL ball boy. He said that they all inflate their balls to suit the QB, scrub the surface with a brush to remove the slippery coating and then bring them to the Refs locker room. He said that there was always a gauge there but they usually just squeezed and thumped them a bit and examined the laces. He also stated that everybody rolls the dice on inflation pressures figuring that if a couple get rejected it's no big deal. He went on to say that once the balls are approved they move directly to the field where it would be nearly impossible to tamper with them without being seen. An under-inflated ball, though easier to grip, would only be useful in short situations as it would not carry as far, thrown or kicked. If the NFL were serious about cheating, they would start vacating wins where cheating is found. I've never heard of that happening.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #96
badbriar

Friggin Flaccid Football Flingers!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #97
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
I predict a severe penalty after the Super Bowl, Belecheck getting suspended, possibly (but unlikely) Brady, draft pick(s) and fines. Too big of a story and second time getting caught.
Belecheck was saying they tested several balls at different psi's and no one could tell what the psi was with any accuracy of each ball.

I believe you are correct in what will happen after the Super Bowl, but I think the fine will be light (if any fine is assigned). The rest of the league I'd imagine does not want this precedent set for something they are all in violation of at some point during the season...
Old 01-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #98
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I wouldn't expect them to be able to tell you what the psi was of the ball, but he didn't say people couldn't tell which ones were under-inflated and easier to grip.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #99
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Here is the latest statement out of Foxboro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGRyTGUbv4
Old 01-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #100
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Here is the latest statement out of Foxboro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGRyTGUbv4
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote