Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-20-2015, 06:04 PM   #21
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: New England Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneycollector View Post
The ball looked inflated to me when it bounced off the ground from so many dropped passes by the colts.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #22
badbriar

Much as I hate to say it, NE has the whole package...
One of the two best QB' in the NFL, a first class defense and a good offense. If they can keep Brady from getting pushed and give him time after the snap, it's gonna be the NE defense that will will it! No - I'm NOT a NE fan. They're just a good team. Bit too cocky, though. Just sayin'.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:24 AM   #23
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Was reading today that it's common practice for ref's to adjust ball pressure and many of the QB's actually like the ball on the high side of inflated.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #24
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

If the balls were inflated and subsequently checked by the refs inside, then checked again outside, where it would be colder, then they would read lower because the air inside the ball would contract. If they were checked after the game, they would have time to get cold and beaten around a bit as well. If they're going to measure pressure it needs to be done at a standardized temperature if they want any kind of accuracy.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #25
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Looks like the NFL has determined that 11 of the 12 game balls were under inflated. Did this have an effect on the outcome of the game? I don't think so since the Colts played like crap, but no one will ever know. Will they get fined? Minimal fine and possible loss of a first round draft pick. Slap on the wrist if you ask me.

You can try to reason the facts away any way you like (air temp, etc.), but 11 balls under inflated by at least 2 lbs each? Really? Bottom line is, if it is determined that the Pats did this intentionally it really doesn't surprise me. They are and have been cheaters (well documented) for a bunch of years now. Disgusting.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #26
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
Looks like the NFL has determined that 11 of the 12 game balls were under inflated. Did this have an effect on the outcome of the game? I don't think so since the Colts played like crap, but no one will ever know. Will they get fined? Minimal fine and possible loss of a first round draft pick. Slap on the wrist if you ask me.

You can try to reason the facts away any way you like (air temp, etc.), but 11 balls under inflated by at least 2 lbs each? Really?
Bottom line is, if it is determined that the Pats did this intentionally it really doesn't surprise me. They are and have been cheaters (well documented) for a bunch of years now. Disgusting.
I would think the consistency would go far to illustrate the point. Ever bring an inflated balloon outside in the cold? Thinking about it, would not the Colts also gain any benefit imparted by the under-inflated balls they were both using?
Old 01-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #27
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Do you have any documentation that shows the Colts were found to be using under inflated footballs? They each get 12 game balls to use. Each time the offense hits the field, they use a football from their own side line.

It's been cold while playing football since the beginning of time. This is the first I've ever heard of this happening (not saying it never has). I can see MAYBE one or two of the 12 being under inflated due to extreme cold, but not 11.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #28
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I must say this reminds me of the early (and not so early) days of NASCAR when teams "interpretritation" of the rules keep the officials busy.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle4178760/

Darrel Waltrip's famous line "If you don't cheat," he said, "you look like an idiot."

SMH.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #29
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

It was 51 degrees that is not a huge temp change to cause the pressure change in the balls. What I find interesting is why does't the NFL just supply and keep an eye on all game balls, if you allow a team to supply the balls for their own team you are just asking for / giving room for someone to try and pull something.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #30
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

You can try to reason the facts away any way you like (air temp, etc.), but 11 balls under inflated by at least 2 lbs each? Really? Bottom line is, if it is determined that the Pats did this intentionally it really doesn't surprise me. They are and have been cheaters (well documented) for a bunch of years now. Disgusting.
Aaron Rodgers brags to the media about over-inflating his balls (he he) past what is legal and no one cares; not the fans, not the media, and not the league. The Pat's mess with the ball and it's "disgusting".

Old 01-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #31
Dave128
Sexy Dave

I haven't seen any articles about Aaron Rodgers. Care to post something?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #32
badbriar

Does not matter how anyone played. Cheating is cheating. For an Unsportsmanlike Conduct flag, often the offending team loses that yardage and, thus the down. Should do the same and set aside the playoff win and send the second place team to play Seattle. I would say this regardless of who was caught cheating. Currently, there is no real incentive for teams not to cheat. Set aside a win and the problem would be solved.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #33
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I haven't seen any articles about Aaron Rodgers. Care to post something?
The reason you hadn't seen anything when he said that back in November is that nobody cared, as many teams manipulate the ball to their QB's preference even if that preference is not allowed by the rules. But it's suddenly a big deal when the Patriots do it because...? Here's a link: http://deadspin.com/aaron-rodgers-li...too-1680676328

Generally speaking, I thought that NFL fans had come to the collective, unspoken agreement that we recognize that just about every team is cheating in some way, and we were going to ignore it. Kind of how fans of high-level professional cycling have collective agreed to ignore that everyone's doping. And also how we've collectively agreed to ignore the fact that the performers in our chosen entertainment - football - are causing permanent, debilitating damage to their bodies and minds.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #34
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
Does not matter how anyone played. Cheating is cheating. For an Unsportsmanlike Conduct flag, often the offending team loses that yardage and, thus the down. Should do the same and set aside the playoff win and send the second place team to play Seattle. I would say this regardless of who was caught cheating. Currently, there is no real incentive for teams not to cheat. Set aside a win and the problem would be solved.
You're talking about a sport in which the offensive linemen brag "If you're not cheating you're not trying".
Old 01-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #35
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Embrace the hate that is all we know in New England
Old 01-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #36
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Old 01-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #37
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
I agree. Fans of every sport in NE have embraced their hatred of other teams for over a century, and I see no end to that.

Oh, maybe you meant others hating NE sports teams. Never mind.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #38
Barcode
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tom
Trading: (16)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
Barcode will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhailey View Post
You Forgot Hockey
Old 01-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #39
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I agree. Fans of every sport in NE have embraced their hatred of other teams for over a century, and I see no end to that.

Oh, maybe you meant others hating NE sports teams. Never mind.
This. There's a reason NE sports teams get the negative treatment....they CHEAT!
Old 01-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #40
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
The reason you hadn't seen anything when he said that back in November is that nobody cared, as many teams manipulate the ball to their QB's preference even if that preference is not allowed by the rules. But it's suddenly a big deal when the Patriots do it because...? Here's a link: http://deadspin.com/aaron-rodgers-li...too-1680676328

Generally speaking, I thought that NFL fans had come to the collective, unspoken agreement that we recognize that just about every team is cheating in some way, and we were going to ignore it. Kind of how fans of high-level professional cycling have collective agreed to ignore that everyone's doping. And also how we've collectively agreed to ignore the fact that the performers in our chosen entertainment - football - are causing permanent, debilitating damage to their bodies and minds.
I, for one, have not signed on to cheating in any sport. My personl feeling is that, if the individual or team cheats, they should be punished.

The Patriots have a known and highly publicised cheating record, therefore they should be looked at closely and punished as severly as the rule books allow for repeat offenses. The same should be followed for first time offenders.