Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough
Question Weber or Big Green Egg?

I'm in the market for a new grill. I was going to go with Weber, naturally. But while poking around online for which model to buy, I caught wind of the Big Green Egg.

I've cooked many a great meal on a Weber and I'm comfortable with them. But, I've never seen, much less eaten anything cooked in a BGE. Anybody have any insights? Are Weber grills and Big Green Eggs comparable things, or is the BGE something else entirely?

Thanks, fellas.
ColdCuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Weber or Big Green Egg?

Here's a thread about the same question on another site.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

If all you want to do is grill burgers, steaks, and things similar get the Weber. If you think low and slow type BBQ is something you'd like to get into go with the BGE. The BGE is overkill for just grilling.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

A buddy of mine in South Carolina got a BGE for Christmas. He is absolutely in love with it and says that there is nothing better, especially for low and slow BBQ. I'm heading there for a visit in a few weeks and he promised me he'd whip up something good on that sucker. From how he describes it, I can't wait!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Can't compare the two directly, but I have always had Webers, have two of the 18.5 inch Weber Smokers and love them. They are phenomenal smokers for the price. I have always wanted a BGE but the large sizes are very expensive and aren't very portable from what I understand. I will have a BGE one day I'm sure but for now, love my Weber. I just saw a new 22.5 inch weber at Cabelas over the weekend and it is extremly nice for $399 I believe. I think the BGE's start at $699. Good luck and either way, you will have fun!
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Send a PM to BengalMan. Ian has a BGE I believe and he can tell you more
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

I have a Weber gas and a large BGE. The Weber gas I use for burgers and what not. The egg I use for prime rib, smoking salmon, pork butt, brisket, steaks, chicken, pizza, etc.

The egg definitely gets more use, but if I'm in a rush and just want to throw a chicken breast, burger, or chunk of salmon on to have ready in 10-15 minutes, then I obviously use the gas grill. That's not to say the egg can't do grilling. I solely cook my steaks on the egg, it can reach 700 degrees and sear a MEAN steak in a matter of 10 minutes if lit properly.

You can use the egg for pretty much anything you do on a gas grill, just depends if you want to spend the time. I wouldn't trade my egg for anything, I absolutely love it.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough

I appreciate all the great responses! I'm still intrigued by the BGE no doubt, but considering how heavy it is and the price tag, I might stick with Weber.

I DO want to try my hand at slow and low BBQ. It's my all-time favorite food. But, there are those that say this can be done with great results on a 22.5" Weber -- I've heard the 18.5" is a little too tight for indirect heat.
ColdCuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

If you have the room for one, a 18.5" weber smoky mountain is a great smoker, and even if you bought both you're still cheaper than the BGE alone.

That being said I have both a weber kettle and smoky mountain and would trade them both for the BGE.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

It's possible to do indirect on the 18.5", but it does get tight. If you're thinking of Weber, I'd get the 22.5". I have the 26.75" and love it! It has plenty of real estate for grilling and smoking. I also have a 18.5" Smokey Mountain, which I also love. The only thing I'd trade them in for are a ranch kettle and 22.5" smokey mountain, respectively.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

If you are doing BBQ, hard to beat WSM. So simple and efficient. BGE is sure nice, but never used or ate from one.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
If all you want to do is grill burgers, steaks, and things similar get the Weber. If you think low and slow type BBQ is something you'd like to get into go with the BGE. The BGE is overkill for just grilling.
I have both and fully endorse this statement.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
If you have the room for one, a 18.5" weber smoky mountain is a great smoker, and even if you bought both you're still cheaper than the BGE alone.

That being said I have both a weber kettle and smoky mountain and would trade them both for the BGE.
Weber Smoky Mountain will cover both bases and is actually a wonderful smoker. Recommended.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

I personally don't have one due to the cost, however my old man does, and has let me smoke a couple of racks of ribs with it just to see how it does. I have to say I have never had such an easy time regulating temps. Extremely efficient in burning charcoal as well. Don't have to use barely any. If you have the money I would recommend an egg. That coming from a barrel smoker guy....
Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

I have a TON I could write, but I'm not. I try to have one of each - covers all bases.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
wrinklenuts
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
wrinklenuts is on a distinguished road

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 and I LOVE it! Now I'm in the market for a 22.5 Weber Gold Kettle Grill.
wrinklenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #17
Ubiquitous
Living life at top speed

First Name: Travis
Montecristo CoastGuard (Active)
Ubiquitous is on a distinguished road

If you're looking at Kamado style grills, don't overlook the Char Griller Akorn. It's got quite the fanbase. I've been using one for a few years now, if I get rid of it I think I'll replace it with a Kamado Joe.

This guy is a great resource!

http://mancavemeals.net/
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Costco was selling a Kamado grill last season for a very reasonable price.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #19
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I had this EXACT same decision about four years ago!
The Weber Performer is a fantastic grill and will last for a long time. It's the same grill used by the BBQ Pit Boys on their You Tube channel. I'd suggest everyone interested in any kind of outdoor cooking check them out. But with all of that said, I chose the BGE and here's why:
1. It'll likely be the last grill you'll ever buy.
2. It's easily the most versatile grill you'll ever buy.
3. Burgers, hot dogs, bread, pizza, baked beans, dutch oven dishes, meats, seafood, I haven't found anything I couldn't cook on it yet.

Yes it's more expensive however I've made done my best outdoor grilling on the BGE and I feel I've become a better cook because of it. The Weber Performer is easily my second choice on the matter, charcoal of course.

Now if you're not interested in grilling or smoking with charcoal then by all means spend the 300 and find a cheap propane grill. But if you're interested in learning the art of the grill and building the fire for it then go with one of these two grills.

As for the efficiency of the BGE, during the last winter olympics I got it to 700 degrees with a howling wind outside at 20 degrees and grilled two rib eye steaks and baked two potatoes along with asparagus marinated in olive oil and sea salt.

The steaks literally took two minutes per side. That is one thing the steel Weber can't do as to the thick walls of the BGE.

I'm going to make ribs today in fact!

Either way you can't go wrong! That I promise!

Last edited by blugill; 04-21-2013 at 06:54 AM.
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #20
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Full disclosure, to smoke on the BGE you'll have to purchase a plate setter, it's a ceramic oddly shaped plate with three prongs that extent up or down depending on what you want to cook.

It allows for indirect cooking or smoking.

With the Weber Performer you can just build the charcoal on the opposite side of the grill.

There is also a big difference in charcoal. You need to use lump charcoal with the BGE. You can use briquettes though in a pinch with no problems. It's just made for lump and there is less mess and cleanup. No big deal, they both work fine.

When I bought mine I bought the rib rack and the pizza stone along with the place setter.