Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #41
smelly4tay
S.H.I.T Greenhorn

First Name: Dave
Trading: (0)
Partagas
smelly4tay is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice for B&M owners anyone?

Reading through this makes me think of the recent thread about NHC cigars and the people who were stunned/very happy at the speed and consistency of the owner. I have never used NHC but I plan on it after reading that.. Good CS, good knowledge/service of product, fast delivery, fair-great pricing.

This thread is about B&M's, but in ways, gaining new customers and excellent advertising is the customer service itself.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #42
gravelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I am not a bandit, so please don't follow me into the humidor and hound me the second I walk in. Please give me a few minutes to look around and than pop in and ask if I need any help or have any questions. If your on my heels following me in and don't give me a few minutes to myself to peruse your selection I am leaving pretty quickly while purchasing nothing and will never be back. There is nothing I hate more than walking into a walk-in and feeling a hole being burned into the back of my head because an employee follows me in and proceeds to watch me like a hawk until I step back out of the humidor. As a customer I am pretty easy to please but if I feel like you can't give me the benefit of the doubt even for a few minutes to not steal something than I do not need to support your business. At least pretend your coming in to move stock around or check a price or something.
My feelings exactly sometimes I get this at a place I haven't been to before as I am not a regular. It can be very unwelcoming IMHO.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #43
bscottskangum
Oh yeah, I'm awesome!

First Name: Barry
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
bscottskangum will become famous soon enoughbscottskangum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Don't have me drive from Petersburg, Va to Norfolk, Va because you claim to have the latest PDR 1878 Dominicana Reserva (the red one right???) and I arrived to find you don't have a clue what the hell I am talking about...when you bring out the PDR 1878 Capa Maduro (black label).
I remember when that happened and you told the Thursday herfers about it, I think that was the first time I got to witness "Angry Mac"

Good points all around...

Personally my biggest issue is when the shop workers follow you into humidor (I get why they do that though) then proceed to recommend a cigar not knowing anything about me. Then when I completely ignore everything you say, because it's obvious you just want rid of your junk stock, and I take a WHOLE 5 minutes to pick some things ... don't make a snide comment about "I wondered if you were ever gonna find something"
Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #44
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

I really sympathize with owners who have been ripped off by theft.

If you've got to follow me around in the humidor simply do it while providing good customer service. If you see me fingering some sticks approach me and give me your opinion. Suggest similar smokes, offer to hold what I've picked up so I grab some more, tell me about new releases, but please don't give me that icy stare. Use that face time to sell me! Following me around takes time, use that time to win a regular. I wanna give you my money today and maybe tomorrow. If you treat me like a human and not a thief I'll be back.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #45
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

this one wont apply to most of you but...

If i come into a shop, just because im not 60 ys/old please dont assume im some snot nosed kid who knows nothing about cigars.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #46
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

If you are having a promo and the sales rep is there, please don't let him hound me after I tell him I haven't found any cigars of that brand that I like. I came to enjoy a smoke, not to listen to him prattle on about how many cigars they sell world wide.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #47
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Damn, some of you seem to have crappy B&Ms....I have no complaints about the ones around me. Hot bartenders and friendly staff that are helpful when you ask for it.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #48
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post

If i come into a shop, just because im not 60 ys/old please dont assume im some snot nosed kid who knows nothing about cigars.
Ughhh. I'm with you there Devan.

More often than not, when I go into a B&M I leave feeling like I was treated like an idiot. Yes, I'm young. But Yes, I spend WAY too much time researching this hobby, and know quite a bit about it.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #49
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
When I ask you if you carry a cigar that has even been highly rated in a publication like Cigar Aficionado, don't look at me like a dumbass, especially if the issue that mentioned it is on the counter next to the register.
this. one of my local shops never seems to go after anything but the usuals (AF, CAO, etc...) and never seems to know much beyond what they have in stock. i don't care much for CA, but at least read the cigar reviews! there's real information there! true story, about a year ago, i asked if there ever going to get in any tatuaje. they looked at me like "tatu... what?" never heard of the brand...
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #50
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
This thread is funny, because it shows that there is no pleasing B&M customers, lol. I am with Greg,
people are theiving scumbags. (paraphrase) BUT in today's technological environment, there is no excuse for
having less than 6 cameras in an average walk-in. You should greet them, then settle down in front of your bank
of surveillance monitors to watch their every move, preferably with remote pan, tilt and zoom. Then when they
gt to the register, simply ask if they found everything they needed. Charge them for that B-52 or T-38 or F-15
or whatever they put into their pants. If they notice it on their receipt, just ask them if they'd like to see the
replay.
This is where Gurkas come into play. Cigar thieves in general have no clue what they are looking for and tend to prey on price tags. Gurkas are flashy and generally pricey so they are great "bait" for cigar bandits.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #51
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

I just dont like when the employes lie about the cigars, acting like they know the blend and where it came from but really have no clue. Also If someone asks you what you thougth of a cigar dont quote cigar Aff, I can read that on my own.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #52
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I hate when I walk into a humi and I feel like the smell of mold is punching me in the face; only to see the fuzzy source of the smell all over their stock. Usually in such cases there is literally water dripping down the walls or pooled on the floor.

Plus I HATE being told that mold is plume. I am not an idiot. I know the difference. YES, I've seem plume and smoked cigars that had it. Don't play me for a fool because you don't know how to maintain your humi. I get that it happens in well maintained humi's, but not when it is on half of the cigars in your store.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #53
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

The worst B&M was by my old house. It's actually a beer/wine shop, but they have a HUGE walkin humi. They are $2-3 per stick more than any other local B&M in town, plus the door to the walk in is always locked. To get in, first you had to know it was there, since the sliding door was always blocked by crap(boxes, beer promo cutouts, etc). Then you had to ask to go and look around. The owner or his son would litterally look over your shoulder the entire time. No suggestions, no, check this out. Just looming there. Not to mention the walkin was so over stocked, that you could barely side-step through the isles. Boxes were stacked in the walkways from floor to ceiling.

The only reason I ever go back is if I'm in the area, need a cigar, and its between 8PM (other B&Ms close) and midnight (when they close). Even then, it's usually not worth it.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #54
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by msayewich View Post
^^^ *100

I wish we up in Canada can still walk into the humidors and look at the products instead of in books.
Going dark they call it..........as in the dark ages.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #55
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Great thread, thanks for starting this one - not much to add, everyone is spot on!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #56
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post

If anything, since I am relatively younger, this is an opportunity to market your store to me and lock up a lifetime of business. I plan on living for a long time.

Don't hock the same house brand cigars to me and compare them to cubans every time I walk in. I am immediately skeptical and I will now question any advice or comments you offer.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #57
Thammy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tyler
Bolivar
Thammy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msayewich View Post
^^^ *100

I wish we up in Canada can still walk into the humidors and look at the products instead of in books.

Is this unique to Ontario? I am from Alberta and I still walk into the Humidor at my local B & M.

Reading these makes me very thankful for my local place, these are some horror stories here. My local owner went as far as to offer to phone my university to vouch about my pipes not being for drugs when I got searched and reported. The only problem I have is me being young and considered immature except that is from other customers and not the owners.

Mind you one tobacco store here hires anyone, regardless if they know anything about cigars at all. I went there once only to be greeted by a 18 year old girl who complained about the smell of the humi and told me to hurry up. Tobacco lovers only please!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #58
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thammy View Post
Is this unique to Ontario? I am from Alberta and I still walk into the Humidor at my local B & M.

Reading these makes me very thankful for my local place, these are some horror stories here. My local owner went as far as to offer to phone my university to vouch about my pipes not being for drugs when I got searched and reported. The only problem I have is me being young and considered immature except that is from other customers and not the owners.

Mind you one tobacco store here hires anyone, regardless if they know anything about cigars at all. I went there once only to be greeted by a 18 year old girl who complained about the smell of the humi and told me to hurry up. Tobacco lovers only please!
I'm not sure if it is Ontario only. I'm guessing so. They even have plastic flaps to cover the cigarettes (on the shelves) at gas stations. It's mind boggling. Apparently it is illegal to see a tobacco product in person before you buy it. All exterior signage had to be removed as well. The only exceptions were grandfathered in where cigar or tobacco was in the name of the business.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #59
jimdandy
Eat, Sleep, Smoke!

First Name: John
Trading: (5)
RA
jimdandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdoty View Post
I just dont like when the employes lie about the cigars, acting like they know the blend and where it came from but really have no clue. Also If someone asks you what you thougth of a cigar dont quote cigar Aff, I can read that on my own.
Perdomo, Just buy Perdomo
Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #60
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
This thread is funny, because it shows that there is no pleasing B&M customers, lol. I am with Greg, people are theiving scumbags. (paraphrase) BUT in today's technological environment, there is no excuse for having less than 6 cameras in an average walk-in. You should greet them, then settle down in front of your bank of surveillance monitors to watch their every move, preferably with remote pan, tilt and zoom. Then when they gt to the register, simply ask if they found everything they needed. Charge them for that B-52 or T-38 or F-15 or whatever they put into their pants. If they notice it on their receipt, just ask them if they'd like to see the replay.
Up front, I have no patience for theives. Period. Hang 'em high. No problem here.

Having said that, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about things. I believe that with a little time in the store, maybe nine times out of ten you should be able to tell who is a customer and who is a theif. I have to agree that a bank of cameras and multiple, conspicuous signs saying "Smile, you're on video surveillance" or something to that effect should get the point across. Heck, I don't mind being followed into the humidor and asked if I have any questions, but when I say "no, just looking at what you have in stock" that's your clue to leave me alone.

I know what I want, and if I don't see it, I will ask.

I do realize it's a balancing act; too little attention and you'll get robbed, too much and many guys, like me, will walk and not return. But to say there's "...no pleasing B&M customers...." just isn't accurate.

One man's opinion - N.F.H.
Closed Thread