Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default What a morning, the worst thing I've had to do

So today, both m kids had doctors appointments in different locations s my wife took my daughter to hersand I took my son for his 1 year checkup. First, I fill out all the paperwork for my son as we switched pediatricians to one that is closet to the house (i'd rather sandpaper the a**hole of an alligator in a phone booth than to fill out paperwork,(thanks Ron White for the visual) ). Anyway, my son is a Jr. so when the nurse calls us back, se says, "step on the scale please an then we will go into the room". I say "we need a baby scale" she leans in and says "sir, you won't fit on a baby scale" I tell her it is my son, not me here for the appointment and she says "OH, your Scott though." I let her know that he is a Jr. and does she really think I am a 1 year old that weighs 24 pounds ( I'm about 224). Now I hae tofill out new paperwork and he needs vaccines but the old pediatrician never sent the vaccination reports so we have to wait 40 minutes for them to fax it. Now my son is all over the place and I'm wearing a suit for work that he is snotting all over and drooling all over so I'm not very happy considering I have to go right from this apointment to the office. The report comes inand they tell me he needs two shots and I'm looking at him playing and goo goo gaa'ing all over the place and think that I cannot have anyone put a needle in him. Long story short, not only do they give him shots, they make me holdhim down for it. Now, my son and I goof around al the time. I get his legs and pin them down and he starts clapping and chuckling and then BOOM, two needles in either side of his lgs. His bottom lip curls out and he has this look on his face like "dad, you're an a@#hole". I never felt so bad in my life. I think shooting my neighbor would be more pleasurable than this. Have any of you had to through this? It's the last time I'm going to the Dr. with him for shots. I'm including a picture of him to see what a beautiful little boy he is that daddy had to pin down while the mean ***** stuck him with needles. He is not happy with me. I still feel awful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lil' man.jpg (92.1 KB, 349 views)
Old 10-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation
Default Re: What a morning, the worst thing I've had to do

yup, shots are the worst. every time Malena (my daughter) gets them, she starts to cry so hard she's not making any sound other than gasping for air.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Those of us with kids have all been through this. Its pretty traumatic the first few times, but take solace in the fact that in the long run it is for your son's future health. He may be mad at you for a day but dont worry, he will be back to his playful self soon enough.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Because of my schedule I have taken my son to ALL his dr appointments where he gets his shots. The first time I was holding him down he reacted similar to your son... he was so pissed at me.

I recently took him for his 2 year and he did much better. I barely had to hold him and he didnt even make a wimper. I think the nurse's technique has a lot to do with how much pain they feel.

Plus, it seems like the more attractive the nurse, the less he complains... Just like his old man!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

That sucks man. It is bad enough when I hear my dog cry at the vet. I can't imagine how hard that must be with your child.

He will forget about it soon enough
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
ahc4353

Yes, a lot of us know how you feel right now. However, before you know it you will be like me and the kids will be heading out if the house. Trust me you feel about the same.

It will be OK he still loves you.

A larger concern I have is that hat. We need to get that boy a NY Ranger hat and fast!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

That sucks Scott. I was in Co this weekend and Sat AM my buddy had to go with his wife to the pediatrician to get their 2 month old girl shots..He said she was screaming like a banshee for a good 30 min before she started giggling like her usual self. It did not sound pleasant at all.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Plus, it seems like the more attractive the nurse, the less he complains... Just like his old man!
Oh Nurse????

Oh man, Scott, that sucks, i really feel for 'ya bud..while I don't have kids yet, we're getting close but have to take the IVF route, should be an interesting month....

I know how you must feel though, I think....I had to hold my childhood dog down when I was about 15 while they put her to sleep. It was awful, but you know what, at least I was there.....I was her owner and we shared a mutual love for each other and I wouldn't have wanted not to be there to lend a comforting hand, stroke and hug.

And even though your son is young, I'm sure he knows you wouldn't do anything bad to him; he trusts you at this point I'm sure and somewhat similarly, you're right there to comfort him through the pain and as soon as the trauma is over.

On a sidenote, I was some punk when I was a kid. At about 8 or so, I refused to let them give me a shot and waited it out for 6 hours in the doctor's office refusing to let them touch me. My mom refused to take me home and said we wouldn't be leaving unless I had the shot. Good for her! I was a brat! So guess who won? Sometimes, extreme measures are needed to be taken. Another time I had to be pinned down because I refused a throat culture...

(good lookin' boy btw!)
Old 10-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Beer Doctor

I know the feeling. When my daughter was ~ 2 years old she had to have blood drawn. They take a little needle apparatus and stick it in a finger and hold it for a few seconds. My daughter was flipping out. I literally had to wrap my legs around her when she was sitting in my lap and hold her finger as hard as I could while she is looking at me with tears streaming down her face. That sucked but not as bad as this past summer.

I was camping at a place called Devil's lake. It was my daughter's half birthday (6y6mo) on Aug 6th. Get it...666. Anyway she trips over our camping stove and slices her leg open. The doctor gave me the option of having sutures or the liquid stitches. It was on her leg so I decided to get the stitches. I also decided to get the injection of anesthia as opposed to the topical which took longer. When she heard she was getting stitches she was hysterical. She had the fear of death in her eyes. I ended up almost laying on her and holding her hand. Funny thing is once they started she was fine. She didn't even flinch when they stuck the needle in her wound. They were blue sutures so now she thinks they were cool. I never felt so bad and evil but I kept telling myself that she'll thank me when she's older and has to shave over that tiny scar every day as opposed to a big scar because I opted to not have stitches or let her have liquid stitches which could have broke open easier. Anyway she got 6 stitches. Suffice to say she is not a big fan of Devil's lake...
Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

I know what you're going through. When my son was two, we had to take him into the hospital for a checkup. Since he wasn't potty trained yet, and they needed a urine sample, they had to catheterize him. The first time the nurse tried, she used a catheter that was too big in diameter, which she figured out after she got it in about a 1/2 inch. The second time she did it right, but the other end slipped out of the collection bag, so she had to do it a 3rd time. At this point I looked at her and said if you don't get it right this time, we were leaving. I now I can get a little loud when I'm upset, and she told me to calm down. I almost lost it. I am having to hold my little boy down, so this clown can "practice" medicine.
The only amusing part of this story for me, is that when we had to go back in two days later, because my son hadn't had a wet diaper for 2 days, I am sure due to the discomfort that he had down there, as soon as the Dr. took off his diaper, he started going. Literally scared the pi$$ out of the young boy.
So yes, I do know how you feel, and I swear it shortens my life everytime I have had to do something like this.
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #11
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophernut View Post
Literally scared the pi$$ out of the young boy.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #12
MithShrike

Man he's young. I was a sickly child. I was used to shots and pills by age 3.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I'm sorry you and little Scott had to go through that!!!

It hurts me to see my little one in pain!!!

As Bob said it is for his good even if it suck now!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Horrible, yes, but bottom line, those shots ARE important! I'm sure he'll forgive you PDQ!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
cigarwife
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Heather
Trading: (1)
cigarwife will become famous soon enough

I know how you feel. I had to take my one year old for his shots a few weeks ago. Not only did he get 3 shots in his legs, he had to have his blood drawn. It was one of the most awful things I have ever had to do. Me and my step daughter had to hold him down while the woman tried to find a vein. It seemed like it took forever. I cried. I still get emotional thinking about it. I never want to do that again!

My son still loves me though and I know yours won't stay mad for long!! Sorry you had to go through that!!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #16
NullSmurf

With 4 boys and a girl, all grown, its dandy to laugh my ass off at someone else's exploits at the doctor's office!

I'm in my rent-a-baby time of life which does not include dirty diapers or errands of this nature.