Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #2821
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Just picked up a Beretta Nano in 9mm this past tuesday. It is small enough to fit in my pocket, smooth sided for easy withdrawl from the pocket, and acurate enough to foul up anyone for life (if they need to be fouled up ) from 15yrds or less. I read they are decently accurate at 25yrds. But at that far way, there is no threat unless they have a gun pointed at me... So I only practice with it from 10-15 yards mainly and a few at 25yrds.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #2822
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
Just picked up a Beretta Nano in 9mm this past tuesday. It is small enough to fit in my pocket, smooth sided for easy withdrawl from the pocket, and acurate enough to foul up anyone for life (if they need to be fouled up ) from 15yrds or less. I read they are decently accurate at 25yrds. But at that far way, there is no threat unless they have a gun pointed at me... So I only practice with it from 10-15 yards mainly and a few at 25yrds.

Grats. I was originally torn between the nano and Kahr CM9 but settled on the CM9 and love it. How's it been running so far?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #2823
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Grats. I was originally torn between the nano and Kahr CM9 but settled on the CM9 and love it. How's it been running so far?
Pretty good. The only thing that is getting me is the long trigger pull on it. Which is causing me to pre-react to the kick; thus dropping my barrel. Its a safety feature I believe. Other than that I haven't had any issues with it at all. It comes apart easily for cleaning with a pen (or paperclip) to de-**** it and a 9mm shell (to rotake the takedown turn).

I've looked a little online for the gripframes that you can swap out with it, but still haven't found any yet.

Next, I'd like to change out the sights for a set of night sights and do a little bit of dusk target practising with it.

I had also looked at a Kimber Ultra Carry II, but couldn't really afford it at the time. That and looked for a S&W M&P Shield. But was told that S&W has about a 3month backlog on orders that the dealer wouldn't be getting any new S&W shipped to him til end of June or July.

My Dad had a Kahr that I liked (a 40 i believe) and he got rid of it "because of who makes them" (the Moonies??). He didn't even give me a chance to get it off of him.... owell, he is odd like that.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #2824
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Have any of you messed with the new Sig P938?
Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #2825
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Does anyone have any experience with the Taurus 24/7 G2 compact??? I am wanting to know if there is an extended magazine for this pistol. I have large hands and need the extra grab space.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #2826
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Taurus 24/7 G2 compact??? I am wanting to know if there is an extended magazine for this pistol. I have large hands and need the extra grab space.
I dont have experience with that particular gun, but in my experience, taurus makes a good revolver, but I wouldn't buy another one of their semi autos again. I had a PT140 that was nothing but trouble, too many malfunctions to count with all kinds of ammo, front sight came off while shooting. I'd really check recent reviews and long term tests before dropping coin on one. My and worth about as much, YMMV
Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #2827
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Ogre, Why not just go Glock with the finger extension.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #2828
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Not to sound mean, or disrespectful, but I would not carry a Glock if you gave it to me. Not a fan at all!!!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #2829
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Google says

9mm: 13 and 17 round extended magazine
.40S&W: 11 and 15 round extended magazine
.45acp: 10 and 12 round extended magazine

I would go to a gun shop and get your hands on the pistol w/ extended mag.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #2830
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Not to sound mean, or disrespectful, but I would not carry a Glock if you gave it to me. Not a fan at all!!!!!
They are ugly as sin, but always go bang.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #2831
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
They are ugly as sin, but always go bang.
I have seen to many problems with them and I really hate that trigger!!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #2832
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

A big part of my problem is, I am left handed. There a vary few autos that are for lefties that dont cost an arm and a leg. May just go with my old off duty gun and get another Ruger SP101 in 357.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #2833
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Digs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post

Bottom line is Glock is the top shelf when it comes to polymer hand guns. (period) Most every design try to be Glock but still never measure up. There are more PD's & military carrying Glocks then all the other models combined! There isn't a design currently that can handle the abuse a Glock will endure. You have the interchangeability - most all the internal parts interchange from the Glock 17 to 39 (and most parts are $4-5). All mags in the same caliber interchange (from full size down to sub compact = interchangeability) and sell for $10 for foreign surplus or $23-$24 for factory Glock mags All Glocks only contain 34 parts, 4 of the parts alone are in the magazines. Most appealing is they currently sell for $499 to aprox. $550 and come with up to 3 high cap mags (gen 4)

Sorry Ogre - Taurus is the Gurkha of the firearms world if I had to trust my life on a handgun and you are surrounded by walkers it be a Glock.

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Old 05-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #2834
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

I know guns are like cigars, shoot what you like. I will just say this, the local police dept here got rid of all their Glocks due to 2 serious malfunctions. To me, its the Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate. If I could afford one, I would love to have either a Kimber or Sig 220.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #2835
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
I know guns are like cigars, shoot what you like. I will just say this, the local police dept here got rid of all their Glocks due to 2 serious malfunctions. To me, its the Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate. If I could afford one, I would love to have either a Kimber or Sig 220.
I remember reading that Sig has had some quality issues lately, I love my old P229. Have you looked into the Springfied XD line? I'm not sure how the configuration is for a southpaw, but I've heard a lot of positive things about them.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #2836
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Eh, FWIW...and I've owned a Glock (long gone now) and my brother currently owns one. So I've shot a few different Glocks and rented them at the range as well.....I share Larry's thoughts, Glocks aren't for me.

They aren't that cheap...the $500 includes the plastic crap sights, they aren't accurate. Changing them out costs $150 or so to. That's $650-$700 total. Back in the day, and what I paid, was $850 for a Dan Wesson 1911, they are EONS apart in quality and accuracy.

Glocks get used and carried by LEO's for reliability and durability alone. I would argue this is why you see so many shootings where dozens upon dozens of bullets are fired without hitting anything but that's another thread entirely and is solely based on my experience with Glocks being inaccurate.

Stock Glocks have piss-poor accuracy. Upgrading the sights makes them tolerable but I still feel you are trading comfortability and accuracy for durability and reliability.

Sure if you practice enough with any gun you'll get the hang of it, but IMHO Glocks have the most learning curve.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #2837
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Just for the record, I am a 1911 guy and collect WW2 German, cold war rifles/pistols MG's. I have Kimber Ultra carry II, it shoots no better then my $389 Rock Island compact your really paying for the name. I also had a 220 another fine pistol I ended up trading it for my 229. A lot of folks ask me what is a good pistol usually tell them what ever you can shoot well with.

Just out of curiosity what malfunctions did they have with Glock? I also work part time as gunsmith and 9 tenths of the malfunctions I see are operator induced.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #2838
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
Just out of curiosity what malfunctions did they have with Glock? I also work part time as gunsmith and 9 tenths of the malfunctions I see are operator induced.
Here's a link that has the article: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general...o-explode.html
Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #2839
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

First one, they had a trigger assembly come apart and the second looked like a stove pipe but found a cracked barrel on inspection. These were both 45acp.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #2840
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Eh, FWIW...and I've owned a Glock (long gone now) and my brother currently owns one. So I've shot a few different Glocks and rented them at the range as well.....I share Larry's thoughts, Glocks aren't for me.

They aren't that cheap...the $500 includes the plastic crap sights, they aren't accurate. Changing them out costs $150 or so to. That's $650-$700 total. Back in the day, and what I paid, was $850 for a Dan Wesson 1911, they are EONS apart in quality and accuracy.

Glocks get used and carried by LEO's for reliability and durability alone. I would argue this is why you see so many shootings where dozens upon dozens of bullets are fired without hitting anything but that's another thread entirely and is solely based on my experience with Glocks being inaccurate.

Stock Glocks have piss-poor accuracy. Upgrading the sights makes them tolerable but I still feel you are trading comfortability and accuracy for durability and reliability.

Sure if you practice enough with any gun you'll get the hang of it, but IMHO Glocks have the most learning curve.

Bill I will admit Glocks aren't for everyone - right of the shelf I can shoot any of my Browning Hi Powers better. Glocks are just as accurate as any other upper end pistol, what gives the appearance of lack of accuracy is if you aren't familiar with the trigger you will shoot very poor! I fire over a 1000 rounds a month for years and see it all the time at the range (a new guy with Glock) You must practice your trigger pull. (period) Most my family is or was PA State police and can tell you a 100 stories of really bad accuracy when they pull there pistols most of comes from just pulling hard and fast on the trigger, making it shoot low or the ground in front of themselves.(remember most police prolly fire less then 200 rds per year!!) If you master the Glock trigger you will shoot all other pistols better just not Glocks. Also night sights for Glocks can be had for $60-$70. I am not a Glock fan boy I am really a romantic and believe a real gun has a fine blue finish and nice walnut grips .

Closed Thread