Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
BTcigars will become famous soon enough
Default Water Pillow

I was at Petco the other day picking up some filter bags for my humi when I saw water pillows in the reptile section. They look like the same kind used for cigar storage. Can anyone chime in on this?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Default Re: Water Pillow

I should be more clear about what I am asking: Does anyone know if these pillows contain the same SAP's as the cigar branded ones do? Do you think these water pillows would be ok for use with cigars?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

You can get the real thing on fleabay for about 50-cents each with free shipping, I don't see a point in messing with the pet store brands.
http://collectibles.shop.ebay.com/To...=p3286.c0.m282
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I can't tell you if those particular things are same as, but I can tell you that we used SAP for shipping chickens lots of years ago. It wasn't long after that I saw it used for cricket feed.
You can put most anything in SAP, but the more salts involved, the less it will swell, so you get a lesser volume per unit of SAP.
When SAP was getting real popular, there was a push by a guy named Gary Something (I talked to him a few times, can't remember his last name) to standardize the grades for SAP. IIRC, it just landed at one grade because it's basically benign, meaning you can even eat the lousy stuff and it won't hurt you.
Instead of grading toward food quality, they set a group of standard grades for product quality that went toward the regularity of grain and how much dust was in it.

All that to say, yeah, it's probably the same stuff.
And...
I have a 50lb drum in the garage. It takes an ounce of my SAP to make a gallon of gel when you hydrate it with distilled water. If you'd like to try it, I'd be happy to send you some.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

BTW, just what is SAP?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Super absorbent polymer
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

TG: Thanks for turning me onto to ebay. I dont know why I didnt think of that. I just wanted a water pillow or two but the s&h from a online retailer makes it so that I basically have to buy other stuff just to get value out of it.

Shilala: Thanks for the history of SAP, its very interesting. Thanks for the offer for some of the stuff but I will take a pass because I know if I get ahold of it, I will turn it into some big project that will ultimately end in a mess.

BTW, is there anything you can't do! Are you the lost love child of MacGyver and Q!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Water-Pillows...item3a65865d84

Those are the ones we sell at the shop for $1.00 each. To me they seem cheap...not sure how well they work.

I always buy the Boveda packs. I'll pay a few dollars more for something I know works.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post

Those are the ones we sell at the shop for $1.00 each. To me they seem cheap...not sure how well they work.

I always buy the Boveda packs. I'll pay a few dollars more for something I know works.

I use those bill on trips in my traveldor for the fact that they are cheap and I don't care if i lose them.

Only thing to remember is that those unlike the boveda packs don't regulate humidity iirc. Good for trips or mailing sticks.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:59 AM   #10
Trkdrvremt

@ BTcigars, PMS
Old 05-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #11
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post

They most certainly are cheap, on the pocketbook not how they are made, and are most effective. I have used water pillows, the same ones, for years. One, just one, of those small water pillows is perfect for large coolers. I check the pillow in my coolers every 3-4 months add a little dist. water. They say it lasts only so long but I have pillows that are years old and work just fine.

IMO, they work too well to ship cigars with one unless it will be in transit a month or more. Everytime I have gotten cigars with a pillow inside, the cigars are way too wet and need to dry out for a few weeks before they can be smoked.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #12
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

I use the pet store water pillows for shipping and they seem to work well short term. Never tried them long term which I have done with ones picked up at Two Guys in NH.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
RonC

I use and sell the pillows. Instead of filling them with distilled water, I use 50/50 mix with good results.