Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Rocky Patel edge maduro double corona

Recently I stated in my review of the RP Edge Sumatra that I hadn’t found a Rocky Patel that I liked and Jaime (RPguy) replied that “we will have to find you a Rocky Patel that you will enjoy”. That got me worried and a few days later the mailman brings be a package all the way from Florida with 5 different Rocky Patel cigars. This is the first of the five reviews and guess what? Cigar number one is a winner.

This cigar is a looker too, with just a small band at the foot to recognize the blend, but no big band where you would expect it. This cigar has to sell itself and it does quite well with the very dark, smooth and oily wrapper. The wrapper has a silky feel to it and feels well constructed. The cigar has a distinct aroma that reminded me of the horse stables where my sister was riding horses when she was a kid. The predraw gave me the right resistance and left a peppery chocolate with raisin flavor on my palate.

I get a sense of coffee, mild bitter and a light chocolate flavor on the background. The flavors are quite full. The chocolate flavor slowly grows in strength but the coffee is still the dominant flavor. The coffee loses some of its strength after an inch, the bitterness disappeared and the chocolate becomes a bit sweet. Half an inch later I taste a pleasant flavor which I cannot describe as I didn’t recognize it.

A bit later I get some of the coffee and chocolate again and halfway some wood and hay accompany the coffee and chocolate. The last flavors disappear and a hard to describe dry hay flavors replaces them. As this flavor fades away I get some of the mild bitter coffee again, just like at the beginning which is replaced by cedar towards the end of the cigar.

The draw is a bit on the light side but not too much to bother me. I get a lot of smoke, which is quite thin. The smoke is a bit gray but turns white the further the cigar progresses. I get enough smoke to blow smoke rings, which I like. The ash is a bit dark but firm, it grew to 4 inch before it decided that my shirt was a nice spot to drop on. The burn is phenomenal, razor sharp and the cigar doesn’t die easy. I would rate this cigar medium/full flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I put it on my “have to get a box of these” list.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 9 / 10
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 8 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
Old 10-12-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
Veritas
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Gregory
Trading: (1)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Veritas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rocky Patel edge maduro double corona

Great review. These have a spot in my normal rotation and can usually be found in the humi.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:49 AM   #3
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Awesome looking wrapper. This stick is what turned me on to cigars. Thanks for the review.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
Barteur
Golf is life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (18)
Cohiba
Barteur will become famous soon enough

Great review, thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Great review!

I absolultely love these and probably smoke 3 to 5 a week!!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Ferdie. Jaime converts another!!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Great review. Thanks. That's a good looking smoke.
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

The Edge maduros are good. Thanks for the review!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
pgagnon

i have one of those sleeping in my humibox.... i'll to light it up before snow starts falling here...... wait it DID snowed yesterday
Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I used to love this stick. Now, not so much. I prefer the Edge Sumatra or Corojo. Thanks for the review, Ferdinand.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Ferdinand likes a Rocky Patel cigar!!!!

Thanks for the review. I've smoked ONE of these, and I remember liking it. Dunno why I never got any more. Hmmm...I told myself no c bid this week, but...
Old 10-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
njstone

Great review, love the picture of that ash--especially since these sticks are like 7.5" long!

I think I might have to have an Edge maduro tonight, haven't had one in a long time.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Love the RPEM! glad you enjoyed that flawlessly wrapped cigar.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:04 AM   #14
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Great review! I keep wanting to try the Edge Lite but haven't gotten around to picking up a couple.