Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about
Default Cigar of month?

So here I sit falling down this slope of a hobby and wondered hmm should I get into a cigar of month club, who has best price and best random month cigars offered. So anyone ever join a cigar of month club and have great reviews on 1?Figured this would be a great way to play with my pallet.Was thinking of walking into My local B&M and seeing if he offers one. Great way to support a community.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Cigar of month?

No, from everything I've read and heard they send you crap for the $$$ you pay.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
So here I sit falling down this slope of a hobby and wondered hmm should I get into a cigar of month club, who has best price and best random month cigars offered. So anyone ever join a cigar of month club and have great reviews on 1?Figured this would be a great way to play with my pallet.Was thinking of walking into My local B&M and seeing if he offers one. Great way to support a community.
Corey if you have more money than brains, yes, join a cigar of the month club.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
No, from everything I've read and heard they send you crap for the $$$ you pay.
+1
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
Corey if you have more money than brains, yes, join a cigar of the month club.
lol no wade, I do not that is why it was a question,and not an instantaction. I am sure I am not the first Noob to ponder these roads as I walk down the road of this hobby. we can always sweet talk bob into 1 or a private wade collection cigar of month club hehe just thinking of ways to broaden that pallet on things i wouldn't usually chase, without making a hmm list cause that would be to big or the constant here an there samplers. Speaking of trying something you know my taste and price range and I love it when you work, cause you help me out lots when do i get my great customer service again?
Old 12-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Probably would be better just going to pick up 5 random sticks or spend a set amount at a B&M once a month. Put it on the calendar and make it a night/lunch/afternoon out. Just make sure you haven't tried any of the sticks before and you will be exposed to new flavors/tastes. Another way to do it is start on the left or right side of the humidor and work your way across trying each stick that you haven't yet.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

I was in the CI 8/mo club for over a year (mainly because it was so dang hard to get them to cancel it!) and it was a huge waste of money!

I highly recommend setting aside an amount and just buying your own 5'ers each month. Don't bother with the clubs.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

Better buying samplers with at least a couple of sticks you know, cigar of the month seems like a good way for retailers to get rid of their dog rockets
Old 12-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
lol no wade, I do not that is why it was a question,and not an instantaction. I am sure I am not the first Noob to ponder these roads as I walk down the road of this hobby. we can always sweet talk bob into 1 or a private wade collection cigar of month club hehe just thinking of ways to broaden that pallet on things i wouldn't usually chase, without making a hmm list cause that would be to big or the constant here an there samplers. Speaking of trying something you know my taste and price range and I love it when you work, cause you help me out lots when do i get my great customer service again?
Friday night, 6-1!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Don't do it brother! Its a way for cigar companies to get rid of their overstock and crappy cigars. Waste of money!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Just watch the WTS forum for good deals.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
thats what I have been doin, waiting for a desktop to arise,I may have bigger eyes than space in next 4 months if I keep up my purchases.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

From what I've seen of them, the cigar of the month club memberships are nice things to give the occasional and undiversified cigar smoker as gift. Like that uncle who lives 1500 miles away, plays golf twice a month and that's the only time he smokes a cigar and always buys them from the meager selection offered at the pro shop so he doesn't really know what else is out there.

I would think that a more serious hobbyist would probably outgrow what the club offers within a few months.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
Ol' Times Cigars
www.oltimescigars.com

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (4)
Ol' Times Cigars is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting the question I was wondering the same thing but from a retailer stand point. Was playing with the idea of starting one for our site but looks like my effort would be better spent on putting samplers together.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
I am sure I am not the first Noob to ponder these roads as I walk down the road of this hobby
If only one of those other noobs had left a thread behind like this one...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Do not, I repeat, Do not join a ciar of the month club.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #17
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

If you want, we can do some box splits - but they will be deals on things I already know that I like.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Great Buys On Great Sticks!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #19
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I have suggested it before and will again.

IMO, if you want to try some nice sticks without knowing what to buy....go on the WTB forum and say you are looking for a sampler for $$$ and wait for the PM's.

Chances are that you will be rewarded with nice selections that may even come with some personal thoughts on each stick. You will also, unlike a Cigar of the Month Club, most likely get sticks worth more than you will pay. Not talking MSRP, but real costs. (sometimes I smile at what value some samplers are listed at)

Depending on how vast of selection is offered at your local B&M, it may also open up a variety of brands or sizes that are not offered at your B&M.

Anyway, just a thought....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #20
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

I was given two as gifts and they where a complete waste of those peoples money. I signed up for one that is no longer around that worked out pretty good. I would just go to some good retailers and get some samplers. I see you are already working through the NST so the next suggestion is as others have mentioned check out the WTS/WTT for blind samplers.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote