Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #21
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: any recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
That doesn't mean it's not true...that desktop gave me nothing but hell...never held proper humidity and molded out in 6 months. The bottom was stuck to my f*cking carpet....not cool......Seriously....it ruined the carpet. It was nice carpet!

Still never came out.

It must have had a leak somewhere.....

The obvious point is poor craftsmanship.

I don't find my post misleading at all....I'll post a picture of the bottom if you would like. I have no idea how it happened....but it wasn't right and it WAS the humidor.

However it is up to you, if you believe my posts are misleading and harmful to new members, I welcome you to remove them. I will not complain one damn bit.
You are missing my point. I'm not saying the ONE humidor you had was poorly made. I'm saying your statement that if a humidor is not custom made, it's crap is bullsh!t.

I'm not going to edit/delete your posts.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #22
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I was just posting my experience......I think a new member deserves both sides of the coin eh?

Either way we all know the desktops are too small, so who is to say my statement is bullsh!t. I outgrew the 300 count in 2 months of being here.......LONG before it broke but still 6 month is bull$hit.

Don't blame me for these crazy bastages forcing every new member to buy 200+ cigars in 2 months.

I mean sure some are probably good....but the bad ones...leak..and it's more harmful then you or anyone might think. Even if they are good tell me like 5 people that don't outgrow a desktop......

Just sayin...I wish "as a new member" I was smart enough to buy a cooler instead of a desktop. Would have saved me $110 and the carpet. I would have liked that.

No, I'm out $110 and the carpet. However My AK-47 it's get explode something fun, so who says I'm really out the $$$
Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #23
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
You are missing my point. I'm not saying the ONE humidor you had was poorly made. I'm saying your statement that if a humidor is not custom made, it's crap is bullsh!t...

Just because you got a bad one Bill does not mean other non-custom humidors will be the same. There are lots of different manufacturers out there and some of them are quite good.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #24
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post

Just because you got a bad one Bill does not mean other non-custom humidors will be the same. There are lots of different manufacturers out there and some of them are quite good.
I was just making the point...I've never had a bad cooler no?

Also they are much cheaper and hold much more.

I don't think anyone would agree that a desktop will last forever. Even if they are quality you outgrow them easily.

I know for a fact Mr Pnoon has an Aristocrat Peter ain't rocking no desktop
Old 07-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #25
pnoon
YNWA

Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:

I don't think anyone would agree that a desktop will last forever. Even if they are quality you outgrow them easily.

I have a rock solid desk top humidor that was manufactured in 1926. I can't say it will last forever but it's done well so far. Also, until just recently, I had a 40 count which was my very first humidor. I gave it away to another inmate who was looking for one. It was and still is a decent humidor.

Also, it is ignorant to think that because someone owns an Aristocrat or other larger storage, that they don't still use a desktop.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #26
RonC

you have too remember that when buying these humidors, they are coming with the old fashioned green foam humidifiers and cheap analog hygrometers. The green foam humidifiers do work ok with 50/50 solution, but the analog hygrometers are usually not too accurate. The inaccurate hygrometer is usually where a new humidor owner will run into trouble. The result will be moldy or dry cigars.

An inexpensive humidor can be made to work very well. You will see most folks on this board upgrade thier inexpensive humidors with a good hygrometer and a more up to date and easier to use humidification device.

So if you are looking for perfection, be prepared to spend at least another $50.00 on top of the humidor cost.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #27
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:

The OP stated that he wanted a wooden desktop humidor, not a cooler or wine fridge.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #28
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
I have a rock solid desk top humidor that was manufactured in 1926. I can't say it will last forever but it's done well so far. Also, until just recently, I had a 40 count which was my very first humidor. I gave it away to another inmate who was looking for one. It was and still is a decent humidor.

Also, it is ignorant to think that because someone owns an Aristocrat or other larger storage, that they don't still use a desktop.
Alright I give up.

I don't know that I made my point. I'm not old enough to have a humi from 1926

I do have to add, made in 1926 and made in 2011 ....there is probably a difference no?

But the point was some wooden ones are bad and you're out the cash and possibly more. Also a coolidor is cheaper and holds more.

I'm sure I sucked at making said point but I'm pretty drunk, you knew that already. I didn't expect to have to have an intelligent conversation at this time, Peter you caught me off guard.

My last post in this thread. Take it for what it's worth or don't, but I just regret buying my desktop. It was a complete waste of my $$$.

Anyways, have a good night everyone
Old 07-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #29
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I'm sure there are lemons within a large number of any manufactured product, bill. But 1 lemon should not be representative of the entire lot. I mean, I smoked a rather nasty cohiba sig II tubo the other night, but I'm not about to dismiss factory hand-rolled cigars altogether because of it... Know what I mean?
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #30
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
The OP stated that he wanted a wooden desktop humidor, not a cooler or wine fridge.
I must've missed that part. I didn't see anything about a wooden humi being the only option. I did see he was uninterested in a cooler, but a wineador stil seems like a valid option. Especially at the price point its being offered at.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #31
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
I must've missed that part. I didn't see anything about a wooden humi being the only option. I did see he was uninterested in a cooler, but a wineador stil seems like a valid option. Especially at the price point its being offered at.
Posted via Mobile Device
Post #4 (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...11&postcount=4) states he wants something small and nice (and not a coolerdor) for his Office.

You are right that a wineador is a good option, but I think he stated that he this may be out of his price range and larger than he is looking for.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #32
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I had a 40 count that served me well for 5 years.

Hey Bill, how many non-custom made humidors have you owned to come to that conclusion?
im not bill but personally ive had 1(i now have a cooler). one day i opened the lid on my footlocker and it fell off. It had also never held RH properly. i then took a dive knife to the rest of it and it was fiber board with a 1/16" lining of cedar.

*im not calling out famous as i didnt buy it from them but many places sell it*
http://www.famous-smoke.com/foot+loc...dor/item+16307

Im not saying all non-custom humidors are crap but buyer beware on the cheap ones.

Last edited by Devanmc; 07-21-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Devanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #33
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

I'm with Peter on this one I have a 100ct and 50ct both cheap humidors and both have been rock solid for over 2 years with zero problems. In fact I keep most of my HTF/LE stuff in the 100 ct cause it's never given me a problem.

I also have a cooler and 2 wine fridges and while those are awesome both for size and price my desktops have been very good to me.

I agree that with everything even a vino or cooler there will be / can be lemons. Maybe the element quits on the the vino or the cooler doesn't seal great it's just a gamble you really have to take and if it's not working then you have to send it back.

I would love a custom humi for display and maybe one day when I have the cash to spare I will buy one to replace my current desktops but really until those fail me I don't really have a reason to replace them.

That's just my input. No need to scare a few new guys away from a cheap humi just because a few people had a bad apple. Hell look at cigars that cost a pretty penny and some people love them but there will always be that person who had a bad experience with it. Remember for a few negative reviews there can always be many many more positive ones that were never writen or shared.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #34
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
I'm with Peter on this one I have a 100ct and 50ct both cheap humidors and both have been rock solid for over 2 years with zero problems. In fact I keep most of my HTF/LE stuff in the 100 ct cause it's never given me a problem.

I also have a cooler and 2 wine fridges and while those are awesome both for size and price my desktops have been very good to me.

I agree that with everything even a vino or cooler there will be / can be lemons. Maybe the element quits on the the vino or the cooler doesn't seal great it's just a gamble you really have to take and if it's not working then you have to send it back.

I would love a custom humi for display and maybe one day when I have the cash to spare I will buy one to replace my current desktops but really until those fail me I don't really have a reason to replace them.

That's just my input. No need to scare a few new guys away from a cheap humi just because a few people had a bad apple. Hell look at cigars that cost a pretty penny and some people love them but there will always be that person who had a bad experience with it. Remember for a few negative reviews there can always be many many more positive ones that were never writen or shared.
I dont want to scare him but i guess IMO when buying a product. if the price seems to good compared to other products. it probly is and is lacking in someway. mine was the fact that is was made with some sort of MDF and only thinly lined with cedar.

I have no problem with a desktop. If i had my own place id like to have one on display. But thats for a later time.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #35
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
I dont want to scare him but i guess IMO when buying a product. if the price seems to good compared to other products. it probly is and is lacking in someway. mine was the fact that is was made with some sort of MDF and only thinly lined with cedar.

I have no problem with a desktop. If i had my own place id like to have one on display. But thats for a later time.
Like all things you want to get things cheap but remember cheap can still be good. Cheaper might not always be the best but like I said you just gotta read up and see what people will say about a certain item. Pros/con

For example will I ever buy another cheap humi. No cause I don't need one but when someone ask me for a recommendation I'll happly point them towards cheap humidors or other retailers based on my experience. As others have said I will also recommend coolers, tupper, vino's etc but I don't write off wood desk tops.

At the end of the day it comes down to how much you are willing to spend AND what you are looking for. Everything else is just opinions and everyones will vary.

Btw I love this place cause the poor guy was asking about desktops and here you clowns are suggesting coolers and vino's!!!!! Your all bad for influences!!!!!

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #36
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
Like all things you want to get things cheap but remember cheap can still be good. Cheaper might not always be the best but like I said you just gotta read up and see what people will say about a certain item. Pros/con

For example will I ever buy another cheap humi. No cause I don't need one but when someone ask me for a recommendation I'll happly point them towards cheap humidors or other retailers based on my experience. As others have said I will also recommend coolers, tupper, vino's etc but I don't write off wood desk tops.
exactly. id just recommend not going out and spending like 30bucks on a desktop. It probly wont turn out well.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #37
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Whew...testiness.
While we are calling attention to leaks in people's logic, let me say this (with respect) to RonC...A cheap Hygrometer
and green foam disc that ships with a cheap humidor doesn't make them lose humidity like sand through a seive.
THAT'S bad construction. And with proper glycol solution, they should not lead to mushy or dry cigars, since the
solution is supposedly designed to hold a specific humidity with proper use. So dry is a result of not keeping
an eye on the disc's moisture level and mushy is a result of not properly charging it with fresh solution from time to time.

Cheap hygros just read innacurate values, mostly consistently. It's still the BOX that leaks. I have three cheap
humidors, none of which can hold moisture. ANY one of them could have been the savior of all, but instead, they
all suck. When I tell a 'newbie" not to skimp on a humidor by buying a 50 dollar 300 ct., I speak from experience
and disgust.

I will grant you the person did not ask for bulk storage recommendations, and I don't think anyone called me out, I'd have
to read through to see, but I DID say if you are going to get a nice desktop for the office, get a good one, and leave the
cheap humidors to the people that believe in em so much.

But in the end, it's just a discussion. We all have our opinions.

Last edited by OLS; 07-21-2011 at 09:09 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #38
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

haha, whoops...looks like I never made that point earlier in this thread...guess all help with humi threads look alike to me.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #39
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

HAHA I love this place, he asks for a desktop and gets vinos and coolers as suggestions. My advice if he hasn't run off yet is check out www.cheaphumidors.com. That is always my recommendation, quality humidors at fair prices.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #40
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post
HAHA I love this place, he asks for a desktop and gets vinos and coolers as suggestions. My advice if he hasn't run off yet is check out www.cheaphumidors.com. That is always my recommendation, quality humidors at fair prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAngels View Post
I'm looking for a new humidor and struck out at my local shops any website recommendations where I can get a great humidor that won't break my bank but is also great quality
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAngels View Post
I want something that looks nice along with the other stuff I said like quality durability etc. I need something that looks nice so when I finish law school I can put it in my office no coolerdor will look too wonderful there lol.
I didn't see "desktop" mentioned once. AND, an edgestar for $99 would look pretty slick in his office. A desktop would too, but for the price of the S&D edgestar, he can not only control the humidity, he can control the temp too. Is it overkill for an office humi? Maybe. But I think one would be hard-pressed to find a high quality humi for $99 too. Though I can't remember what I paid for mine. Got it on the devil site for a song. Maybe you can get them brand new for under $100. I'm referring to 100ct size.