Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
TonyAngels

Default any recommendations

I'm looking for a new humidor and struck out at my local shops any website recommendations where I can get a great humidor that won't break my bank but is also great quality
Old 07-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice
Default Re: any recommendations

Are you looking for functionality or a display piece? For functionality, grab a cooler with a good seal, some beads, and a hygrometer--it won't break your bank and it is also great quality (even if it's not something you'd display in your living room).
Old 07-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseboston81 View Post
Are you looking for functionality or a display piece? For functionality, grab a cooler with a good seal, some beads, and a hygrometer--it won't break your bank and it is also great quality (even if it's not something you'd display in your living room).
cooler all the way. Im using a 150gt igloo and couldnt be happier
Old 07-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
TonyAngels

I want something that looks nice along with the other stuff I said like quality durability etc. I need something that looks nice so when I finish law school I can put it in my office no coolerdor will look too wonderful there lol.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

if youve got the money a 50ct from waxing moon is deffintily something to show off.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

Check on cbid, and watch there you could always go to cheaphumidors, or I personally like the 100ct on CI website, some are sweet looking!
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I say the edgestar 28 from www.compactappliance.com. Scratch and dent units are going for $99 shipped;

http://www.compactappliance.com/EdgeStar-TWR282S-28-Bottle-Deluxe-Ultra-Capacity-Free-Standing-Wine-Cooler/TWR282SSDDSSD,default,pd.html?cgid=Clearance_Items-Scratch_and_Dent
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

bargainhumidor.com
Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The problem with buying a wooden humidor from online retailers is that you don't really know what you are getting until it's delivered, and then it's really too late to do much about it. The exception to this is going to custom manufacturer's like Waxing Moon.

It's too bad that your local B&M's did not have anything to offer you...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
TonyAngels

They have some Quality Importers humidors but I'm not sure if they are any good the guy said they are but I wasn't sure any opinions? Because I honestly would rather see in and buy it in person also my last one from online was junk and it's made me a bit weary about buying another one from online.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

QI stuff is quality. I just don't like buying from a b&m because you can get the same humidor much cheaper online.

And I work in a b&m.

I have bought 5 humidors from bargainhumidors and am very happy with each purchase. And they stand behind their products.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Wooden humidors that aren't custom made aren't worth a crap....give me a month and you'll see mine getting blown apart by an AK-47.

Get them custom, or go with a cooler or Edgestar.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Wooden humidors that aren't custom made aren't worth a crap....
Broad brush there, bro.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
pnoon
YNWA

Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Wooden humidors that aren't custom made aren't worth a crap....give me a month and you'll see mine getting blown apart by an AK-47.

Get them custom, or go with a cooler or Edgestar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Broad brush there, bro.

I had a 40 count that served me well for 5 years.

Hey Bill, how many non-custom made humidors have you owned to come to that conclusion?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAngels View Post
They have some Quality Importers humidors but I'm not sure if they are any good the guy said they are but I wasn't sure any opinions? Because I honestly would rather see in and buy it in person also my last one from online was junk and it's made me a bit weary about buying another one from online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
QI stuff is quality. I just don't like buying from a b&m because you can get the same humidor much cheaper online.

And I work in a b&m.

I have bought 5 humidors from bargainhumidors and am very happy with each purchase. And they stand behind their products.
QI makes some good humidors, and Chutney is right, you can get stuff cheaper online. For me personally, when buying a wooden humidor I like to touch it and inspect it before paying for it. It's worth a few dollars more to me to be able to do that.

A Custom Humidor is even better -- if you have the money...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
TonyAngels

Yea unfortunately not done with school yet so no customs for me yet but I was looking at this humidor in particular curious to know what you guys think and if you have any quick tips or suggestions on what I should looknfor when inspecting it at the shop tomorrow http://www.qualityimporters.com/qual...tail.asp?ID=56
Old 07-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #17
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post

I had a 40 count that served me well for 5 years.

Hey Bill, how many non-custom made humidors have you owned to come to that conclusion?

1, but if it failed so bad what would possess me to buy another?

Doesn't seem logical. Especially after less than 6 months.

I mean if someone wants to give me free $$$$$...I'll try more out...Until then I cannot afford to waste my $$$.

So sometime in the next month look for pictures of my AK totally said piece of $hit humidor.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #18
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAngels View Post
Yea unfortunately not done with school yet so no customs for me yet but I was looking at this humidor in particular curious to know what you guys think and if you have any quick tips or suggestions on what I should looknfor when inspecting it at the shop tomorrow http://www.qualityimporters.com/qual...tail.asp?ID=56
It seems OK -- Go for it!

As for what to look for: Search is your friend. There is a lot of good info here on CA. This is a good place to start: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=621.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #19
pnoon
YNWA

Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:

1, but if it failed so bad what would possess me to buy another?

Doesn't seem logical. Especially after less than 6 months.

I mean if someone wants to give me free $$$$$...I'll try more out...Until then I cannot afford to waste my $$$.

So sometime in the next month look for pictures of my AK totally said piece of $hit humidor.
So don't buy another. Just don't make broad statements that if it's not custom made it's crap. That is misleading to newer members.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #20
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
So don't buy another. Just don't make broad statements that if it's not custom made it's crap. That is misleading to newer members.
That doesn't mean it's not true...that desktop gave me nothing but hell...never held proper humidity and molded out in 6 months. The bottom was stuck to my f*cking carpet....not cool......Seriously....it ruined the carpet. It was nice carpet!

Still never came out.

It must have had a leak somewhere.....

The obvious point is poor craftsmanship.

I don't find my post misleading at all....I'll post a picture of the bottom if you would like. I have no idea how it happened....but it wasn't right and it WAS the humidor.

However it is up to you, if you believe my posts are misleading and harmful to new members, I welcome you to remove them. I will not complain one damn bit.