Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #41
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Re: Just bought a 600ct humi and need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPackSunday View Post
ok guys i wasnt going to say anything, but i'll go ahead and brace for the flaming

I used kitty litter for roughly 3 months with NO regrets what so ever. my humidity held perfect at 65% and I only had two pounds in there (600ct humi). The only reason I no longer use them is because I moved to a cigar oasis. At the time I was strapped for cash and $16 for 7 lbs of ktty litter was something I was willing to try. I got the 100% oscilla beads unscented. The only reason I have an oasis now is because I snagged a barely used one for half price on another forum.

hate if you must, but for 3 months there were no rewatering them, no odor, and a crazy cheap remedy for perfect humidity. I'm not saying they DONT work i'm just saying for three months they DID work.
one word, no flaming: ENVIRONMENT!

That you had those great results I do not doubt. However, journey back for a moment with me to science class, and the "scientific method". Simply put, one test, conducted over a limited period of time, in only one part of the country and one specific home environment is not a sufficient body of evidence to draw a scientifically valid conclusion from.

I have no doubt that the kitty litter works GREAT When it is exposed to and operated in a specific environment and under specific conditions. (The kind that you most likely lucked out and had present in your house at the time of the experiment). However, I also can say that if the kitty litter were exposed to a more diverse range of changing conditions and seasons, it will NOT do its job year-round.

Eric, skim through this thread again and note how many people have chimed their vote for each solution. Cigar smokers, as a whole, are a fairly smart group of guys, and we can be quite clever with some of our solutions . The kitty litter idea is not a new one, its been around for years and years. If it actually worked well over a long period of time in more than one or two sets of specific conditions, don't you think you would see more people here touting the merits of it? YET you see the exact opposite. Anyone who has been around a while, seen the fads come and go, and has money invested in their cigars, everyone single one of them has told you and will tell you to get beads. ....... Nobody here is lying or misleading you about their experience, and everyone posts with the best of intentions. However its very difficult to draw a conclusion from any one example or any one person's advice, including my own - if you want the real answer, just look at the numbers.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #42
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys for all your advise as I really appreciate it, all of it! I am going to run Scott's beads if he has any left. I pm'd him yesterday afternoon and haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully he isn't out of them. The humi already shipped, I've got 70 cigars on the way, my 75 ct is overfilled, so I gotta get rockin!
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #43
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Good choice on Scott's beads. You will be nothing but happy.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 AM   #44
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
Thanks guys for all your advise as I really appreciate it, all of it! I am going to run Scott's beads if he has any left. I pm'd him yesterday afternoon and haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully he isn't out of them. The humi already shipped, I've got 70 cigars on the way, my 75 ct is overfilled, so I gotta get rockin!
Good choice indeed! You will be happy with your purchase!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #45
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Does he have a website or another way I can contact him?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #46
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

beautiful Humi!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #47
Drat

Quote:
Doesn't sound like you have enough time to properly season the new one. Better setup some tupperdors or cooleradors in the interim. You can ruin good cigars by not properly seasoning a new humidor just as easily as you can ruin it without the proper humidification devices.

Congrats on the freefall down the slope. Keep in mind, there is no bottom....
Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #48
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drat View Post
Doesn't sound like you have enough time to properly season the new one. Better setup some tupperdors or cooleradors in the interim. You can ruin good cigars by not properly seasoning a new humidor just as easily as you can ruin it without the proper humidification devices.

Congrats on the freefall down the slope. Keep in mind, there is no bottom....
Good catch - the man speaks the truth. Stick the new cigars in a few tupperdors for the time being while you season the humi properly, the sticks will be fine in plastic for a while. Make sure you get her good n seasoned, a 600ct is a PITA to empty and re-season
Old 03-20-2009, 07:04 AM   #49
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL

How much time to season? I have barely enough room in my current humi but I can make do for sure. It is coming monday and I should have the beads by then as well.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:08 AM   #50
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL

Also, if anyone is looking for one of these I thought I got a good deal...a place called cigartoyz.com for $150 (plus like $36 shipping)...I will let you all know for sure though how nice or not noce it really is when I get it. Never done business with this joint before.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #51
Drat

From Cheaphumidors.com (I bolded what I thought was the most important part):

Re-humidifying your humidor is easy, just follow these simple steps:

Place a shallow container filled with distilled water in the humidor
Place calibrated hygrometer inside humidor
Charge your humidification device
Place humidification device inside humidor
You have to check the relative humidity every day. Depending on a number of factors this can take a few days to a few weeks. When you get in the 70 range it is safe to store you smokes inside. As long as you constantly recharge your humidification device you will never have to wait to store your cigars again.
I always suggest waiting at least 7-10 days, no matter what the hygrometer says before putting cigars in a new humidor.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #52
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL

cool! Thanks for the info!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #53
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

Quote:
Also, if anyone is looking for one of these I thought I got a good deal...a place called cigartoyz.com for $150 (plus like $36 shipping)...I will let you all know for sure though how nice or not noce it really is when I get it. Never done business with this joint before.
http://www.cigartoyz.com/_e/DISPLAY_...sive_Sale_.htm

That's a crazy good deal. You'll have to let us know what it looks like when it comes in. I mean, I almost paid that much for my last humi and it isn't nearly as schmancy (and I mean that in a good way) or have even half the capacity. This is a borderline "too good to be true" type of deal.

Anyone else ever buy from this vendor before?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #54
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL

That is the same thing I thought! The cheapest I saw one for was $259 + shipping of this same type...I just stumbled on it and could not pass it up. They apparently shipped it the very next day...got a tracking number...hope the box isn't full of rocks and garbage!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #55
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

Quote:
That is the same thing I thought! The cheapest I saw one for was $259 + shipping of this same type...I just stumbled on it and could not pass it up. They apparently shipped it the very next day...got a tracking number...hope the box isn't full of rocks and garbage!
Like I said, I'm interested to hear how it comes in. I'm not trying to be negative. Don't let me rain on your parade. I'm just jealous.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #56
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKitty View Post
Like I said, I'm interested to hear how it comes in. I'm not trying to be negative. Don't let me rain on your parade. I'm just jealous.
would be a hell of a steal at that price.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote