Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #21
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice
Default Re: general cigar question for all...

I too leave it on. Most times I wait until I am pretty close to the band to remove it just to be safe as the band being warm is not always guaranteed to not tear the wrapper. In the rare cases I get a band that is loose I usually remove it right away just because 9 out of 10 times it just ends up being annoying sliding up and down the stick.(Hmmm that sounded bad didn't it?) More often than not I smoke alone so no need to worry about offending anyone and when I smoke with others more often than not everyone is smoking what they like anyhow and wouldn't be offended anyway.
neoflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #22
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
When I pull up to a herf, I immediately throw a sheet over my car, so as not to offend anyone who might be driving a hunkajunk.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #23
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

I've never seen anyone looked down on for smoking a "finer quality product", however, I have seen persons looked down upon for smoking a LESS quality product.

Personaly I remove them if they are easy to remove and keep them on if they're not.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #24
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
If just the band on my cigar offends them, they need thicker skin or better cigars.

Well said.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #25
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

I leave it on until I am able to get it to slide off easily. When I first started smoking I damaged a few wrappers trying to pry the band off after I just lit the cigar and I don't want to go through that again.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #26
nozero

I've seen several references to this, for example:
http://www.cigartrends.com/etiquette.php
Zino Davidoff's guide to cigar etiquette
Quote:
Remove the band carefully after lighting the cigar.
It's somewhat contradicted here:
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/html/cig101_1boo.asp
Quote:
Why remove it? The arguments range from the potential of the band damaging the wrapper to the steadfast belief that only the most naive smokers would actually leave the band on. Most experts, including Zino Davidoff, believe that the removal of a cigar band is a "personal choice," claiming that in today's world there is no shame in leaving the band on a cigar, citing references to both practices in literature as evidence. He personally removes his bands, but only after a few puffs, when the cigar is well-lighted and "running." Waiting a few minutes allows the heat of the smoke to make the gum on the band less adhesive and easier to remove without tearing the fragile wrapper.
I found this one to be interesing...
http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/...ngeti_snfb.htm
Rule Six
Quote:
You've seen actors do it in the movies, but, actually, smelling a cigar is a sign of bad etiquette. Instead, if you're selecting a cigar, look at the color of the wrapper, the name on the band, and its other characteristics in order to determine whether its your type or not.
I take them off before lighting or shortly there after, if they are easily removed. But I don't care if others leave them on or not.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #27
jaycarla
Mossy Hoosier

First Name: Jay
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
jaycarla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
When I pull up to a herf, I immediately throw a sheet over my car, so as not to offend anyone who might be driving a hunkajunk.
Now that is funny!

I leave mine on.

When I first started I did take them off all the time, because I read somewhere that you "should". I found though I liked leaving them on, and it is my smoke gosh darnit!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #28
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

I like looking at what other people are smoking... not cause i'm jealous, I'm just curious! If I'm smoking with friends and folks from this forum, I wouldnt ever consider taking the band off (and possibly damaging the wrapper).

exception however would be if i was in a cigar bar or other such place and was surrounded by folks I didnt know. then I would consider taking the band off, depending on what I was smoking.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #29
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I haven't had the opp to Herf but once, because I am at the end of the earth. I usually smole alone or in my wifes company, and she don't care. But for the record I usually leave it on till the burn gets close.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #30
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

I usually leave mine on until I smoke down near the band...then it comes off.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #31
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Well this topic definitely got a lot more response than I anticipated. I guess I should have started out by saying that I take mine off. Not because I'm a snob, or feel like I'm smoking cheap sticks. I have never herfed with anyone, other than buddies and I generally provide the cigars so that definitely isn't my motivation cause they are usually smoking something similar to what I am. I guess it's just a habit. I generally leave them on long enough for the glue to heat up, making it easier to pull off.

Reading the responses, it seems that most leave on. Good stuff. I like the idea of leaving on to find new smokes and a conversation piece.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #32
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I remove the cello and the band before putting cigars away in my Humi!

Yikes!!! Now I don't know what I'm smoking either!!!
J/K
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #33
Cigary

I wonder who it was that ever asked the question about leaving the bands on or taking it off? Did it offend him that some guy was waving his cigar around telling others about what a great cigar he was smoking and to look at the band on his cigar? Did it offend others around him where you could hear the ooohs and ahhhhs? I think it is silly because the same people who might be offended are probably the same people who drive around in cars that they want others to see them in. How many of us will take the emblems off of our vehicles so that we might not offend others? What about our watches or polo shirts? I personally like to see what another person might be smoking as the aroma may be something that I really like?

For those who are offended by the site of a cigar band on a cigar I say turn away and for those who like to keep their bands on their cigars what's the harm except at some point you will have to remove it anyway because you'll want to smoke the rest of the cigar.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #34
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

So should a gentleman not wear a Rolex, designer clothes, and drive a German sports car, so as not to offend?

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #35
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Im right there as well. If just the band on my cigar offends them, they need thicker skin or better cigars.
I pretty much agree with this, I'll smoke anything from a flor de oliva to a padron 80th and I wont take off either band just cause one is a more expensive smoke.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #36
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Deja vu??

It is my understanding that the bands were originally placed to avoid getting one's gloves dirty.

I do not wear gloves when I smoke and am normally very private so I take them off before lighting.
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #37
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

Trading: (7)
SLR
livwire68 is on a distinguished road

I remove if they come easily, if they dont I wait awhile. I am a band saver. I smoke what I like at that moment, could be a high end or a low end, to me it does not matter. I will leave it to others to guess what I am smoking, When I am in public it may just make someone feel better that they can afford a cigar with a band (reverse thinking) and I cant. Most people I see smokeing cigars are not "cigar smokers" its the cool thing to do at the time or just for a celebration.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #38
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

I seem to have touched a nerve with this post. Definitely not my intent. I certainly wasn't trying to imply folks were snobbish around here. My bad.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #39
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbejon View Post
I seem to have touched a nerve with this post. Definitely not my intent. I certainly wasn't trying to imply folks were snobbish around here. My bad.
Nah,,,not at all. The question has been around forever and everyone has their take on it. I do not smoke cigars to impress anyone nor do I leave the band on to impress anyone as well. I think we all have our own reasons and that is ok as long as we don't leave them on to "impress" others. I drive a BMW not to impress others but because the engineering on this car is amazing as it is 10 years old and well over 100K miles and I keep it looking brand new. The car has paid for itself and now I get the benefit of having a car that will deliver another 100K plus miles easily. If I want to impress anyone I will buy a G 5 Gulfstream and I don't see that happening in my lifetime.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #40
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

If it bugs me while I am smoking the cigar then it comes off, it if doesn't it stays on until the burn gets close to it.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote