Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough
Default general cigar question for all...

So I was reading on CI the other day that some people believe it is in bad taste to leave the band on a cigar when you are in company. CI stated a few reasons for this, but the one that stuck out to me was that you wouldn't want to offend those you were smoking with if you were smoking a finer quality product.

So that leads me to ask, do you leave your band on when smoking or take it off? In addition, why?

Does anyone else feel like I just asked a test question?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
MileHighGolfer

Default Re: general cigar question for all...

"essays are due no later than November 23rd at 5 pm standard time. Please double space, use new times roman 12 point and regular college margins. Points will be deducted for unacceptable citation and referencing or use of an unknown referencing style, in addition no essays over 1500 words will be considered."

hehehehe

for real though, if this is true 'good form', ill have to start doing it..cuz, well, i havent been.....
Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
silentjon

I leave them on. Not to be a snob, I'm just lazy. Plus, I don't want to damage the wrapper.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I leave them on until the burn reaches the band!

At herfs I'm always asking what people are smoking! I don't care if it's better than what I have (which it usually is)! I am curious about what people think about what they are smoking!

If someone feels bad about what I'm smoking... I'll give them one of mine!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbejon View Post
So I was reading on CI the other day that some people believe it is in bad taste to leave the band on a cigar when you are in company. CI stated a few reasons for this, but the one that stuck out to me was that you wouldn't want to offend those you were smoking with if you were smoking a finer quality product.

So that leads me to ask, do you leave your band on when smoking or take it off? In addition, why?

Does anyone else feel like I just asked a test question?
I seem to remember hearing about this before. Personally, I think (what I bolded from your post) is ridiculous. If people are offended by the quality of the cigar I'm smoking, tough noogies.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
mrreindeer

Eh, I don't have a ton of experience with this because I haven't really herfed with experienced smokers. On Saturday night, I was, but we were all smoking the same, CAO LX2's, so there really was no point in removing the band, so we didn't even breach the topic nor did we remove.

That being said, I've heard that removing the band is the best form of etiquette because you don't want to 'brag' about the kind of cigar you're smoking if it is a better quality cigar.

I've heard that you should remove the band from the start. If it sticks, smoke a bit until the glue softens up and you can effortlessly remove it without damaging the wrapper. If you can't, well, you're stuck with the band on your cigar, which I, personally don't mind. I like to see what others are smoking.

If you're just hanging with friends though, I'd forget it and keep the sucker on.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
phidelt076
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
phidelt076 is on a distinguished road

After messing up a few wrappers trying to take the band off prior to lighting, I always leave them on now. I wait until the burn gets close to the band and that seems to loosen up the glue. My smoking buddies are usually smoking my cigars so I don't give etiquette much consideration.
phidelt076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post

At herfs I'm always asking what people are smoking! I don't care if it's better than what I have (which it usually is)! I am curious about what people think about what they are smoking!

I gotta agree with Skywalker here. I also learn about new smokes when I see a buddy of mine light up a stogie I havent seen/smoked yet. Its a good conversation starter with other cigar smokers too!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I also leave the band on until the fire reaches it! Apparently removing the band is especially done in Europe- but I ain't in Europe!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentjon View Post
I leave them on. Not to be a snob, I'm just lazy. Plus, I don't want to damage the wrapper.
Ditto... I don't remove them cuz I tend to mess up the wrapper! And I don't really care what people think of my smokes regardless of if my band is more expensive or theirs is...
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #11
Beer Doctor

I keep it on until it's close to getting burned. There is no reason to take it off before that. It can cause damage to the cigar if taken off. I don't know anyone who would be offended by someone smoking a better cigar than they have. That's like saying you should have a coozy on your beer so as not to brag about what beer you're drinking...ridiculous.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Rockestone
Anythings Possible

First Name: Greg
Trading: (5)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Rockestone will become famous soon enoughRockestone will become famous soon enough

That's all a bunch of huey!! Who cares if someone else is smoking something that cost more expensive than what your smoking. I don't know about you guys, but the guys I smoke with aren't exactly the sensitive type. Smoke what you wanna, and peel the label if you wanna.

I feel better now, thanks.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
If people are offended by the quality of the cigar I'm smoking, tough noogies.
Im right there as well. If just the band on my cigar offends them, they need thicker skin or better cigars.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #14
JonHaven

Default Leave 'em on!

I always leave mine on.

Personally, I like when others leave theirs on because seeing the label gives me the opportunity to learn about cigars that I haven't smoked before.

I discovered two of my favorite cigars, the CX2 and the Def Sea, this way.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #15
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post

I couldn't agree more. If you are herfing with people who get offended if you are smoking a superior of inferior cigar, then you are herfing with the wrong people. I love to know what others smoke and get their opinion.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #16
Vitis

Either way is fine with me. If they are loose I take em off, other than that I wait till i've smoked em down to the band. Not sure what glue the use on CCs, but they seem like the hardest ones to get off without tearing the wrapper.

~Vitis
Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I don't take them off till I get the stick down close to the band due to the fact that the heat will loosen the glue used. If I tried to take the band off before I smoke, I will ruin the wrapper.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #18
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

When I pull up to a herf, I immediately throw a sheet over my car, so as not to offend anyone who might be driving a hunkajunk.
kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #19
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

It takes a whole lot more to offend me than a cigar.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #20
Drat

Quote:
I don't want to damage the wrapper.
I slightly damaged the wrapper of a Taboo Costa Rican Maduro Monday night taking the band off. Luckily it was only a slight tear and it still smoked wonderfully.