Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light
Question Cigar lockers.

My B&M is moving to their new location. Major upgrade having two floors with a lounge with the biggest plasma i've ever seen. Bottom floor has a vault (used to be a bank in the 20's) there's a glass door with a key code. Inside is the old vault lined with cigar lockers. Does anybody use these? Are they worth it? What do they normally run? They're not quite ready yet so they don't have pricing. Thanks -Richard
Old 11-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
silentjon

Default Re: Cigar lockers.

I have one. I believe mine is $140.00/year. It is nice to have a cigar stash at the B&M.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Rockestone
Anythings Possible

First Name: Greg
Trading: (5)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Rockestone will become famous soon enoughRockestone will become famous soon enough

A cigar lounge here in Anderson has cigar lockers as well. The cost 400 dollars a year and gain you access to the private area of the bar. Too rich for my blood. Especially since I wouldn't be able to utilize it as much as I would like, due to work.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

My B&M charges $300/year for their platinum membership. That get's you a locker, a bunch of deals and discounts, access to their smoking lounge and free storage for your BYOB's.

IMO you could get yourself a nice cabinet for two years fee's.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
silentjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
My B&M charges $300/year for their platinum membership. That get's you a locker, a bunch of deals and discounts, access to their smoking lounge and free storage for your BYOB's.

IMO you could get yourself a nice cabinet for two years fee's.
Which B&M is this one?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentjon View Post
Which B&M is this one?
The Cigar Club... Downtown Scranton on courthouse square. They are the local Illusione dealer. Steamtown Cigar is only two blocks down from them and they have a great selection.

http://www.the-cigar-club.com/

I noticed you are from Plains, who's the goto B&M up there? I picked up some Tat Blacks at City Tobacco, seemed pretty nice.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
silentjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
The Cigar Club... Downtown Scranton on courthouse square. They are the local Illusione dealer. Steamtown Cigar is only two blocks down from them and they have a great selection.

http://www.the-cigar-club.com/

I noticed you are from Plains, who's the goto B&M up there? I picked up some Tat Blacks at City Tobacco, seemed pretty nice.
City Tobacco is my second home. Every time I go to Scranton, I stop at both those places.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I was getting one at Corona until I read the agreement that stated they have the right to examine the contents for Cuban cigars. It was $300 a year.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentjon View Post
City Tobacco is my second home. Every time I go to Scranton, I stop at both those places.
It's pretty nice to have two B&M's within two blocks. I work downtown as well so I pass by both on my way into the city. I just wish I had time to get over there on lunch.
If that was the case, I would consider a locker. [brought it back to the locker discussion for the OP'ers sake] Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrplasencia View Post
My B&M is moving to their new location. Major upgrade having two floors with a lounge with the biggest plasma i've ever seen. Bottom floor has a vault (used to be a bank in the 20's) there's a glass door with a key code. Inside is the old vault lined with cigar lockers. Does anybody use these? Are they worth it? What do they normally run? They're not quite ready yet so they don't have pricing. Thanks -Richard
I think that they are worth it if you are at your B&M a lot or it is convenient for you to get there. I know my friend Alex has two of them and I think he pays $120 a year for each. Then my friend in Corona who owns a B&M I think charges $170 a year. Just my
Old 11-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

There have been horror stories in the past on "another board" about beetles getting "shared", stores closing without warning and people losing their smokes, etc.

The vast majority of people probably have good experiences, but I just like to have more control over my stash.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #12
Opusfxd
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Opusfxd is on a distinguished road

I picked up one for $2something (I forgot). Like others it gives me a deeper discount at special events, discounts and the ability to have a stash for unplanned drive bys.
Opusfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #13
Raralith
Death to the Unbelievers

Trading: (24)
Bolivar
Raralith is on a distinguished road

There's a B&M near me that has private lockers but for almost $500 a year and you must buy 2 of their boxes (at 20% off). You get access to a private area which is just a small room where the lockers are. The statement also says "no cubans, blah blah blah, we'll inspect," but they don't care. I was told that they have to do it for insurance purposes, and the inspection is for mites and bugs.

Personally speaking, even at $170, I would not bite. I have a VinoTemp so climate control isn't a problem, I check on my beads every few days so maintanence isn't a problem, and I don't want to wait until 11AM for the store to open to get my cigars.
Raralith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #14
StinkiMonki

The store I own had lockers which run anywhere from $75 per year to $120 per year. We are in California and have a full bar. Unfortunately that also means we are a private club. That's the only way to really serve alcohol and smoke in CA.

The lockers are a nice feature for those who travel during the day and don't want to carry their smokes in a hot car. It's also nice to be able to age some smokes in a controlled environment instead of just smoking off the shelf.

Controlling the environment is the greatest issue to be wary of. It is either taken care of everyday or it's not. I wouldn't store too many smokes in a locker that isn't maintained daily. Beetles are another issue. We don't allow members to store "outside" smokes without having them approved first. As for Cubans, we don't care.

If you do purchase/rent a locker, take the time to put measure the environment for a couple of weeks before you put anything valuable inside. If you see roller-coaster readings get your money back.

Stinki
Old 11-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #15
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

just got number for my B&M $300-600 a year depending on what row. Includes 15% off all cigars 10% off opus and padron anny's. subscription to CA magazine, private parties with cigar makers, 2 free cigars a month, and other stuff yet to be determined.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #16
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I like the idea of having a locker, but I don't think I would use it enough to make it worth the money. I also like to have controll over the enviorment my cigars are in, but since there are no shops that offer lockers in my area it is not even an option.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #17
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

My local hangout has lockers for $325/year.

Even though I'm in there at least twice a week, I carry a 5 stick herf-a-dor when I go. I normally buy at least 1 stick when I go in each time, just to help support my B&M and make sure he's gonna stay in business.

I figure that I can buy a lot of sticks for a year's rental fee...

Old 11-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #18
StinkiMonki

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkiMonki View Post
The store I own HAS lockers which run anywhere from $75 per year to $120 per year. We are in California and have a full bar. Unfortunately that also means we are a private club. That's the only way to really serve alcohol and smoke in CA.

The lockers are a nice feature for those who travel during the day and don't want to carry their smokes in a hot car. It's also nice to be able to age some smokes in a controlled environment instead of just smoking off the shelf.

Controlling the environment is the greatest issue to be wary of. It is either taken care of everyday or it's not. I wouldn't store too many smokes in a locker that isn't maintained daily. Beetles are another issue. We don't allow members to store "outside" smokes without having them approved first. As for Cubans, we don't care.

If you do purchase/rent a locker, take the time to put measure the environment for a couple of weeks before you put anything valuable inside. If you see roller-coaster readings get your money back.

Stinki
I couldn't find the edit button so I simply quoted myself and fixed the tense in the first sentence. Now I can sleep better.

Stinki
Old 11-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #19
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

First Name: Craig
Trading: (47)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
SmokinCozy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raralith View Post
There's a B&M near me that has private lockers but for almost $500 a year and you must buy 2 of their boxes (at 20% off). You get access to a private area which is just a small room where the lockers are. The statement also says "no cubans, blah blah blah, we'll inspect," but they don't care. I was told that they have to do it for insurance purposes, and the inspection is for mites and bugs.

Personally speaking, even at $170, I would not bite. I have a VinoTemp so climate control isn't a problem, I check on my beads every few days so maintanence isn't a problem, and I don't want to wait until 11AM for the store to open to get my cigars.
I think I Just discovered this B&M. I was told 350-500 with 2 boxes a year and wasn't told about the discount. I was told the lockers will be moved as they are where the bar will be and the private area will most likely be gone.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #20
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Lockers at a B&M are essentially only a value to you if either A) they're more convenient than home/travel boxes for some reason, or B) you spend a LOT of money at the B&M versus online for some reason.

Lockers well maintained are a great place to leave cigars for years to get some good age, and typically the package deal is an excellent offer if you buy more than a box a month (assuming your discount stacks or increases with box purchase). Not only that, but if you're like me and spend 10+ hours a week at the shop (that's 10 hours beyond working ) then you end up finding it convenient to be able top open a locker and throw in your stuff and grab a stick at any time. Plus free stuff regularly is pretty nice....regulars with lockers are always more pampered customers.

On the flip side, if you're more of an online buyer, you won't find great value in a locker because the price difference in online sales will be far greater than even getting a good discount from having a locker.