Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #621
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Wristwatch collectors out there?

Also Seiko made a chrono that measured down to 1/100th of a second a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elI_ZQffjbc

also the sportura line has some most under $500
Old 08-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #622
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Greg, the 67 is the one with the SS brecelet. SNDA65 is the one with the black canvass band. If he is planning on switching it out there is no need to pay extra. :02
They are two very different models. The 65 model is with alarm if I am not mistaken. 67 is a chrono, and comes in various bracelet options, SS is one of them.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #623
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I thought the same thing but unfortunately the 65 only looks like it has an alarm but it is actually a 12 hour timer (kinda lame if you ask me) had it been an alarm I would have been thrilled. I will look at the 67 again I didn't look at the 6 position chrono dial.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #624
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

I don't want to argue, but take a look at the two. Not only they are different movements, one is a chrono and the other is an alarm, but even HANDS are very different in shape. Believe what you will, though, I don't have a dog in the race...
Old 08-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #625
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

SNDA65

SNDA67

Im not arguing. Im stating what it is that I see, however if you are looking at a different model that I have found please share.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #626
TheRiddick
Non-believer

My bad, and my apology. I got tripped by the last photo on prior page (SNAB alarm model).

Both 65 and 67 seem to be the same, not sure why different model numbers, maybe the case finish:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f304/se...ew-211594.html

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/new...no-186267.html

SNDA69 is also same model? Looking at specs for all 3, they seem to be same watch, although looks like 69 has been discontinued at this point. I see someone online selling the 67 for $120 in SS, that's a great buy IMO and one can easily find a great leather strap in the aftermarket: http://www.globalwatchband.com/
Old 08-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #627
JDTexan
College Football Fanatic

First Name: Justin
Trading: (3)
JL
JDTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
SNDA69 is also same model? Looking at specs for all 3, they seem to be same watch, although looks like 69 has been discontinued at this point. I see someone online selling the 67 for $120 in SS, that's a great buy IMO and one can easily find a great leather strap in the aftermarket: http://www.globalwatchband.com/
The 69 seems to be the same watch as the 65 but in green. I have a similar Japanese Seiko military watch in green that I will try and post a picture of and find the model number. A friend of mine purchased it for me in Japan a few years ago.

Last edited by JDTexan; 08-08-2010 at 06:27 AM.
JDTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:08 AM   #628
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Says 1/20th sec stepping on dial, do you really think its Quartz?
I thought quartz based on the hands layout would be quite complicated or custom if automatic. Not that Seiko can't deliver such precision.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #629
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I have a day/date Seiko Monster auto in OK condition I'd trade for cigars if anyone is into it.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #630
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I thought quartz based on the hands layout would be quite complicated or custom if automatic. Not that Seiko can't deliver such precision.
I just wanted to say that quartz with such precision is not a common thing, or rather, very rare. To me, it looked like a modified Orient mechanical movement...
Old 08-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #631
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

just arrived!

Old 08-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #632
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
I just wanted to say that quartz with such precision is not a common thing, or rather, very rare. To me, it looked like a modified Orient mechanical movement...
I had a Seiko Chrono Quartz in late 80's that was quite precise. If you look at some of the Quartz Chrono's coming out, they are more apt to put mutliple timers on one pole than you'd expect at that price point.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #633
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
Ive been saving and think I am going to go with either a Tag Carrera or an Omega Speedmaster, not sure which one yet.
both are goregeous watches, and both can be had for roughly the same price, I would probably choose the Omega, for no other reason because I have an Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph and I absolutely love it. However Tags are great as well.
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:44 AM   #634
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eber View Post
both are goregeous watches, and both can be had for roughly the same price, I would probably choose the Omega, for no other reason because I have an Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph and I absolutely love it. However Tags are great as well.

I am leaning towards the Tag because I like the croc bands unless I can find the speedmaster in a leather band. I'm not so keen on stainless steel.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #635
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
I am leaning towards the Tag because I like the croc bands unless I can find the speedmaster in a leather band. I'm not so keen on stainless steel.
There are a TON of aftermarket selections for bracelet and leather straps for watches. NEVER count out a watch based on it's strap. There is also a really nice custom market which can make the leather straps to your wants.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #636
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
There are a TON of aftermarket selections for bracelet and leather straps for watches. NEVER count out a watch based on it's strap. There is also a really nice custom market which can make the leather straps to your wants.
Agree! You don't have to get an "Omega" labelled strap, but Omega deployment clasps are out there if you really want it to look OEM. Hirsch is a very popular brand of leather straps.

http://www.watchobsession.co.uk/shop...raps-c-54.html
Old 08-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #637
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Quote:
Agree! You don't have to get an "Omega" labelled strap, but Omega deployment clasps are out there if you really want it to look OEM. Hirsch is a very popular brand of leather straps.

I agree completely, and if you get one with a SS bracelet and get a leather one, you will always have the option to change back and forth if the mood strikes.
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #638
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Thanks for the link. Hopefully I can find a place in San Antonio that has a nice selection so I can try on a bunch of different models.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #639
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

I like all this strap talk!!!

The watch i bought (pictured above) needs a new strap. Cant stand the drab green.

Its 23mm wide. I was thinking about buying something stainless that is 24mm wide and filing the ends down. I have heard of people doing that. Does anybody have experience filing down bracelet ends to fit odd lug widths?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #640
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
I like all this strap talk!!!

The watch i bought (pictured above) needs a new strap. Cant stand the drab green.

Its 23mm wide. I was thinking about buying something stainless that is 24mm wide and filing the ends down. I have heard of people doing that. Does anybody have experience filing down bracelet ends to fit odd lug widths?
Depends how the pins or screws are fabricated on the bracelet and whether end links are being used.

Have a bracelet looking good is really dependent on the end links or the case. Big gaps around the lugs makes the bracelet look like an afterthought.

Many smaller watch manufacturers in CH use a braclet factory and just machine the end links and/ the button on the clasp. The tooling to create each unique piece on a bracelet may not be worth it on a tight price point or limited manufacture.