Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
FUEL
Just 6 days...

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Partagas
FUEL is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Cigar health issues...do you guys ever worry about it???

Just kinda curious. I was a casual cig smoker in my drinking days and was about a pack to a pack and a quarter smoker for 1.5 years before I quit. I am a recovering alcoholic (sober 9 months on the 8th) but thankfully I was a short term "hard drinker" for only 16 months or so I know some potential long term health issues are a maybe a result of those two. The quitting booze helped with the memory so it might sound odd, I'm not worried about adverse affects of the drinking as long as I remain sober, which I never plan to drink again. Or at least until I'm 70 and can be the old creepy guy at the club ogling the college girls lmao.

As the title asks, do you ever think about the consequences or the possibility / potential of the consequences of long term cigar smoking or suffered any thus far in your stogie career? Curious from the perspective of those that just mouth the smoke and those that retro-hale as well. When I started learning to retro-hale it opened up a whole new dimension so admittedly I have read not to do it consistently but on a stick say the size of a Undercrown Corona Viva! I retro a good 1/3rd of it. I can smoke a La Flor Dominican Double Ligero Digger on an empty stomach and not get a nic buzz and retro a good 3" of that 8 1/2" x 60 RG stick if that says anything.

In-between quitting smoking and picking up cigars again, I went for 1.5 years with no nicotine with the exception of last June when I was in LA for the Kings vs. Devils Stanley Cup games 3 & 4. I thought I'm on vacation, one pack won't hurt. I had two cigs and I thought I was going to have to go to the ER as my chest felt like an elephant was sitting on it or both my lungs collapsed. From that day on I knew / know I'll never smoke another cig again so I don't worry about a nic addiction from cigars.

My quantity has dropped of SIGNIFICANTLY since my humis decided to grow wings at 50mph in my catastrophic moving disaster and I moved to a "soft crash" place until I get back on my feet again that is not herf friendly. So went from about 2-3 a day (so up to 21 a week) to now maybe if I am lucky 2-4 a week.

Thoughts???

J.

Last edited by FUEL; 06-02-2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: changed title
FUEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigar health issues...do you guys ever worry about it???

The relaxation I get from cigars reduces my personal risk of stress induced stroke tenfold....that's all I nned to know.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
FUEL
Just 6 days...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
The relaxation I get from cigars reduces my personal risk of stress induced stroke tenfold....that's all I nned to know.
Tom, how old yee be?
Old 06-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEL View Post
Tom, how old yee be?
Old enough to know better, James.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
FUEL
Just 6 days...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Old enough to know better, James.
lmao, go to bed ya ole cranky bastardo!

Night Sir.

J.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Nope. As Iron Maiden sang in some song some time ago, "As soon as you're born you're dying". Might as well have some enjoyment on the journey.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
FUEL
Just 6 days...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Nope. As Iron Maiden sang in some song some time ago, "As soon as you're born you're dying". Might as well have some enjoyment on the journey.
Wow I have not hear Iron Maiden I ages!! I suppose and Idon't remember who originated the line, "It's burn out than to fade away"

J.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Too many other things will kill me long before the cigars.So the short answer is no.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
bighairlogo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (34)
RA
bighairlogo will become famous soon enoughbighairlogo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEL View Post
Wow I have not hear Iron Maiden I ages!! I suppose and Idon't remember who originated the line, "It's burn out than to fade away"

J.
"It's better to burn out than to fade away"
Neil young sang it, Curt Cobain made it infamous

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
bighairlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I smoke 2 or 3 sticks per day and this concerns me a little. It seems like there just isn't a lot of data compared to cigarettes.

The most immediate health issues I have concerning cigars are my allergies. They certainly don't help.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Tell you what I know after six years of cigar smoking on a regular basis, my stress melts away. I find calm and peace and in this crazy and upside down world that is priceless.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Nope. I do what I want!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Just for my own curiosity I've asked both of my past two doctors about cigar smoking, without inhaling. First one told me that there was nothing I was doing to my health, the second one gave me a lecture about tobacco use. I stopped going to her.

We partake in many more dangerous activities to worry about cigars. Once when my wife and I were BS-ing about cigars and health she mentioned that Fidel has lived a very long life, as did God, well George Burns anyway.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWhisenand View Post
Just for my own curiosity I've asked both of my past two doctors about cigar smoking, without inhaling. First one told me that there was nothing I was doing to my health, the second one gave me a lecture about tobacco use. I stopped going to her.

We partake in many more dangerous activities to worry about cigars. Once when my wife and I were BS-ing about cigars and health she mentioned that Fidel has lived a very long life, as did God, well George Burns anyway.

And Winston Churchill, he drank quite a bit and smoked like a chimney.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Only you can no when your cigar smoking goes beyond a relaxing past time to something else... Tobacco use is addicting and if you have tendencies towards addiciton, you have to be aware of what how often you do everyting.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

I am more concerned about how many cigars I buy as opposed to how many I smoke. I smoke less then I buy and some cigars are aging as I don't rotate them in for one reason or another and many don't age well.

I smoke outside and smoke about 5 - 7 a week. The data I've seen says that is nothing. But even it is bad life is not worth living if I have to be like Bloomberg.
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #17
Big Maduro
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
Army (Served With Honor)
Big Maduro will become famous soon enough

I'm with you weelok, about 7or8 a week. I'm 57 and chain smoked camels for 25 years before I quit around three years ago. Least of my worries is a few cigars.
Big Maduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

We all could be doing worse things to our bodies so i think we are safe.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #19
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I'm more worried about the things in our food to include sweeteners that are linked to causing cancer in laboratory animals, genentically modified foods, asbestos, you name it more so than cigars void of the chemicals added to cigarettes that I generally don't inhale into my lungs.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but in every COPD patient I've seen thus far, not a single one was a cigar smoker. I work in a high stress/fast-paced environment. I need outlets to unwind and having a handful of cigars on a weekly basis is going to have far less of an impact on my health than what most everyone eats on a daily basis.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Interesting topic that I haven't seen discussed a lot. I had 6 cigars this past Saturday (which is a lot, and I was feeling the effects and even ruined my palette that I couldn't taste a rare cigar my boss threw at me) one of the regulars in the shop is a Doctor, he is the one who tells the family that their loved one is not going to make it or that have already passed (rough job if ya ask me), anyway we were talking and he asked me how many I had that day when I told him his eyes got big and he said that 1 cigar is like 16 cigs or something like that and he added up I had like 68 cigs that day.

He asked me if I ever got a nic buzz, I told him that I did and I was drinking Coke at the moment, he said he would be more concerned if I didn't get a buzz.

Anyway not sure if it's true or not, but cigars like most of you have said relaxes me and makes me less stressful, and I'm not quitting now.