Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 11-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
TOB9595
Managing the UnManageable

First Name: Tom
Trading: (12)
TOB9595 is on a distinguished road
Default Why not BIGGER than 1-3 cup Mokapot?

Fellas...MISTER MOOOOOOO

I have read that 1-3 cup Moka Pot is the type to get.
I have one.
I want a bigger pot.
It's a PITA to wait to make a second cup of 3 ounce espresso....
So?
What's the reasoning???
Regards
To All
Tom
TOB9595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Ace$nyper

Default Re: Why not BIGGER than 1-3 cup Mokapot?

I would like to know this myself.

Mines 4, but then again it was a freebie.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
TOB9595

AND you folk with big a$$ Moka Pots..
I guess they're workingg well for you.???
YES???

Tom
Old 11-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

The larger mokas work fine.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

I have a 12-cup, 6-cup, a pair of 3's, a 2-cup and a 1-cup and I have a family that likes coffee. All the pots make good moka but they all need to make their max capacity each time you use one - no half-pots like you can do with press, for example. My 1-3 cup pots get used a lot - the others mostly sit, waiting, for the rare housefull of company that enjoys moka.

Smaller pots are easier to control and, therefore, I think they make noticeably better coffee. I also seem to hear, over and over, that folks new to moka buy big pots only to discover they need a lot of coffee to stoke them up and they make more coffee than they can drink. They all work but I'd rather make a 2 pots with a 3-cupper than 1 pot with a 6-cup.

Also, it's easy to drink too much moka and start to vibrate. Start small. Be happy.

In the end anyone should get whatever suits and post their conclusions - my advice is purely optional.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

I have a 6-cup and 12-cup. Used to make the sixer for myself every day in grad school. (yes I vibrated a lot through grad school) The 12 cupper is great for parties. Do the MOO and get one of every size.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:05 AM   #7
TOB9595

OK, NOW I understand.
They all work well....
Most people buy bigger than they will really use when they start out.

Sigh...I'll now have to hunt out the next size up...or maybe two sizes up..
I have to think on that..
I'd like to make 2 shots at a time...
YEAH!
I can handle 2 shots....heeheeheeheeheehee

GOOD GRIEF!
The door is opened to a whole new world!!!
Thank youse
Tom
Old 11-05-2008, 05:46 AM   #8
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOB9595 View Post
The door is opened to a whole new world!!!
Here's another take on mokapot sizes, Tom. It IS a new world when you finally get a pot to make a killer brew, isn't it? However, when new-to-it folks get to making bad brew with a mokapot four, five or six times in a row they usually bail out and go back to something easier and more familiar. Learning to brew well with a large pot can be frustrating and it does burn thru a lot of coffee per pot. For this reason I think the small pots are where to start.

I think lots of folks assume a large pot (e.g. 12-cup) is what they want/need because they can drink a whole pot of drip coffee. I don't think of myself as being particularly sensitive to caffeine but two pots from a 2- or (absolutely from) 3-cupper gets all my brain molecules vibrating and my muscles twitching - unpleasant feeling. While YMMV, too much moka is easy for me to drink but WAY bad for how I feel. The **** is sneaky-bad if I drink too much. Maybe that's partly to blame for my large-pot prejudices. Large pots are for crowds, not individuals, in my view.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #9
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

They make 12 cup Mokas?

Really?

Sounds like I need to search for my morning fix enabler.

I like vibrating.

AAlllll tt hheee tttiiiimmmmee.. ... ...

This small snippet of information has made a bad morning slightly more tolerable.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:01 AM   #10
chris45set
Millie found a BIG stick

Trading: (2)
chris45set is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a six-cup I found at Target (the one pictured in their TV ad), but am still feeling my way through it.
I am certain the product will improve as I refine my brewing technique, but it still makes some wonderful "stuff".
I usually use a 12-oz ceramic coffee mug, and find that about 1/2 the pot (6 oz) combined with warm-to-hot milk to fill out the cup is a magic elixir.
I get two 12 oz cups worth from the one mokapot.
Now I will admit, combine those two cups with a high vitamin N cigar and I am vibrating like a tuning fork, but I don't drink alcohol any longer, so I gotta get my buzz-on from someplace.
But it is so very tasty . . .
Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
They make 12 cup Mokas? Really?
Really. I don't think Bialetti makes one, though. Mine is a no-name black anodized aluminum pot and, yes, it makes fine coffee - for a crowd. I've probably used it half a dozen times in the past 7-8 years. It was a gift from a Euro-friend, purchased in Belgium. I would expect they're common enough in Europe. Something just right for a coffee-drinking family of five or six, maybe. Or an Icelandic Bering Sea fisherman with a small crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris45set
I recently bought a six-cup I found at Target ... I will admit ... I am vibrating like a tuning fork... But it is so very tasty . . .
Yes - they make a great drink as cafe-au-lait. That's the problem with the bigger pots, see? You drink one big mug, then another... by the time you've got water heating up for the next round there are three or four paramedics and a couple of riggers trying to peel you off the ceiling, get you stabilized and return your vitals back to pre-launch calm.

There is a reason why euros look at our coffee mugs and ask, "How can you possibly drink so much coffee?" They do not grasp that our US standard drip is about 1/3 (or less) the intensity of their typical brew.

I did the moka cafe-au-lait overdose once. The coffee was spectacular but, less than an hour later, I felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin. What else can I say? The stuff is delicious when you nail the brewing procedure but it can raise hell with your heart and bloodpressure if you're imprudent.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #12
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Something just right for a coffee-drinking family of five or six, maybe. Or an Icelandic Bering Sea fisherman with a small crew.
Or one me.

I look upon a racing heartbeat and blood pressure fluctuations as a kind of aerobic exercise.
My pulse at rest with no stimulants and blood pressure is very good, pulse in the mid 60's to low 70's, so I have a fairly good range to jack with stimulants without getting too excited.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
Ace$nyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Or one me.

I look upon a racing heartbeat and blood pressure fluctuations as a kind of aerobic exercise.
My pulse at rest with no stimulants and blood pressure is very good, pulse in the mid 60's to low 70's, so I have a fairly good range to jack with stimulants without getting too excited.
Yea i'm with you on that, I survive off a caffeine buzz myself.